Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

YJ or TJ difference?

2K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  new to this 
#1 ·
Besides the obvious rectangular vs round headlights what are the differences between the YJ and the TJ Wranglers?

#6 ·
atomicmoose said:
YJ'S ROCK....nuff said. :thumbsup:
:D right on!

The TJ's have airbags too. They definately ride smoother due to the coil suspension. And the top was redesigned to be taken down easier and make less noise. I had a TJ and it was ok, but almost "too" nice for a jeep. I sold it and went back to a YJ.

A jeep is meant to get dirty and to beat it up a bit. I can take all the carpet out of my YJ in 2 minutes flat and hose it out. The TJ was alot more "refined' I guess would be the word. I felt bad getting it dirty, haha. I came back to the good-side...

#7 ·
TellyDSP said:
...and it appears the YJ's have beefier axle shafts, at least on the front which is HP.
The TJs have the beefier axle shafts with the larger joints (although the '95 Wranglers had these as well) and one piece design on the passenger side.
The high pinion design of the YJ is stronger and located higher than the low pinion design of the TJ. Just slap some TJ shafts in a YJ housing, get the stronger joints and rid of the vacumm crap and call it a day.

#8 ·
Sprungover said:
The TJs have the beefier axle shafts with the larger joints (although the '95 Wranglers had these as well) and one piece design on the passenger side.
The high pinion design of the YJ is stronger and located higher than the low pinion design of the TJ. Just slap some TJ shafts in a YJ housing, get the stronger joints and rid of the vacumm crap and call it a day.
maybe I was comparing them to my 95. The fronts seemed bigger than the TJ.

#9 ·
.. you're all forgetting the fuel filler is on the side of the Jeep instead of behind the license plate .. big mod .. :D :D

#10 ·
Sprungover said:
when you swap those axles on pass side what seal do you run
someone did that to mine and it is dripping gear oil out the end of the tube
just wanted to gather up the parts before i rip into..........

:confused:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.