YJ Tire/wheel question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > YJ Tire/wheel question

OPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!Spartan Locker Special Forum Prices Dana 30 44 60 Ford 8.850" LED Light Bar with Overhead Mounting Brackets $69

Unread 02-05-2013, 07:24 AM   #1
mandorider
1994 YJ Wrangler 

YJ Tire/wheel question

Im looking on craigslist for a set of wheels/Tires for my Jeep. 94 YJ.
My current tires are 225/75/R15

First question is... What is the range of tires I can put on the Rim (which is stock)

Second question is... if people are selling wheels with tires on them (which I see quit a bit of) How big of a wheel can I put on my Non-lifted YJ without any concerns? (assuming the bolt pattern, hub center bore and lug size are all the same) Because I see people selling 16s,17s,18s etc and am just trying to figure out if its ok to use or not because it will open up more possibilities for me.

mandorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2013, 08:20 AM   #2
StanF
1995 YJ Wrangler 

30x9.5x15 is about the largest stock fit

235/75-15 is about 29" x 9.3", and is another good choice - typically much cheaper than 30x9.5.
Unread 02-05-2013, 09:53 AM   #3
Beachcruiser
1987 YJ Wrangler 

15" has a much wider selection of tires, that are less expensive than the other rim sizes.

7" wide rims will take 10.5 tires easily...most people like an 8" rim to go 12.5 wide. Backspacing is critical on those, tho.

31's will fit on a street duty stock YJ if you trim your flares a bit. They rub slightly when turning very sharply, but you can reset your steering stops to avoid that.

Off road, you can run 31s if you go to TJ flares/1" body lift & trim a bit of metal exposed by the new flares....

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.