YJ throwing codes 24 & 27 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > YJ throwing codes 24 & 27

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 06-14-2013, 08:36 PM   #1
jason280
1994 YJ Wrangler 

YJ throwing codes 24 & 27

Quick backstory on the Jeep, its a '94 6cyl/5 spd that I bought just over a year ago. Jeep had been severely neglected, and took a little TLC to get it running correct. Ended up putting in new plugs, fuel pressure regulator, fuel filter, and swapped out the IAC & TPS with used models from a 6 cylinder XJ. Ran great afterwards, and I believe the prime culprit in the original issues was the IAC and/or the TPS.

Jeep has run great since everything was corrected until the last week or so. Doesn't idle very well, and requires feathering of the throttle to crank. Seems to run pretty well under load and down the road, but idling is inconsistent. Ran the codes, and I'm getting the standard 12/33/55, but its also throwing "24" and "27". Odd thing is, it throws/repeats "27" twice in succession.

I know 24 is for the TPS, so I need to troubleshoot it and check the voltage. I'll probably just order a replacement off eBay, looks like you can pick them up delivered for under $20. I'm not so sure about 27, seems like it deals with either the injectors and fuel system.

Any suggestions on troubleshooting this particular code, and any guesses as to why it would pop up twice reading the codes?

jason280 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-17-2013, 07:45 AM   #2
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

You deal with the devil you know. If you have an idle issue it might throw a second code because of it. The TPS is cheap and easy. Start with the TPS.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-17-2013, 12:23 PM   #3
idaholtby
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Normally with the erratic/stalling idle issues I would first suspect the IAC or clogged port for it on the throttle body, but with code #24, and that you have to feather the throttle, I agree with Que. With a new TPS, then clear your codes and see how she runs and what codes, if any, return. You can test your TPS first with a meter if you want to be sure, but code #24 is pretty telling. The TPS is a simple rheostat with 5volts on one side, Ground on the other and then the wiper feeds the positional voltage to the ECM. Any dead spots in resistance will show a voltage drop rather than a smooth change with throttle movement.
idaholtby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-17-2013, 07:24 PM   #4
jason280
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I went ahead and ordered a replacement TPS off eBay, no reason to fight with the current one when I can get a replacement for $19 shipped. The symptoms I am having are similar to a '93 Sahara I bought a couple years back, and a replacement TPS solved its issues. Hopefully, this one will do the same.
jason280 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2013, 02:05 PM   #5
idaholtby
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason280 View Post
I went ahead and ordered a replacement TPS off eBay, no reason to fight with the current one when I can get a replacement for $19 shipped. The symptoms I am having are similar to a '93 Sahara I bought a couple years back, and a replacement TPS solved its issues. Hopefully, this one will do the same.
Understood.... I would only suggest that if this replacement does not fix your issue, then reinstall the original before continuing with troubleshooting. It is easy to induce problems with replacement parts that then further complicates the troubleshooting process.
idaholtby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2013, 03:59 PM   #6
PA_YJ19
1994 YJ Wrangler 

27 Can sumtimrs b a bad connection at the injector, or was for me. Look at all ur injectors an mess with the little clips on top, see if me r broken. Mine was broken and would only throw the code while offroading or after because it would wiggle itself loose. I cut it off and spliced in a new one with a little plastic lock on it. Haven't had ne troubles with that one since. Just an idea check them out n make sure all ur electrical connections r good on ur injectors.
PA_YJ19 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.