YJ Throttle body swap - problems - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > YJ Throttle body swap - problems

Iron Rock Offroad products - get them from Kolak!TERAFLEX JKU 2.5" Elite LCG Long FlexArm Lift Kit w/ March Madness LOCKER SALE + FREE SHIPPING + $30-$50 REBATE

Unread 03-25-2015, 10:04 AM   #1
dhoepp
1995 YJ Wrangler 

YJ Throttle body swap - problems

Hello,

So I pulled off a throttle body from a 4.0L '96 cherokee at a junkyard. I tried to swap it onto my 2.5L and I've ran into some problems.

There is a little nozzle on the east side that looks like a vacuum line. I don't have a hose for that. So I plugged it.

I replaced the sensors with the sensors from my 2.5L throttle body.

When I start the engine, it revs up over 4000 so I kill it. I don't want to let it run. It's not good to run it over 4000 with the engine cold.

Thank you for any and all help.

dhoepp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-25-2015, 11:36 AM   #2
VirginJeeper
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I did a write up for this swap let me find it so you can see the one I used. I don't remember a vacuum port. Can you take side by side pictures of the throttle body for us and we can tell you what's what but you are on the right track swapping the sensors.

Edit: here is the link http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/d...-2-5l-1507367/
VirginJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-25-2015, 02:58 PM   #3
dhoepp
1995 YJ Wrangler 

This is the best picture I can provide right now. The 4.0 is on the right. There is a little silver bump off the right side of the right one. That is the new one.
img_4044.jpg  
Unread 03-26-2015, 07:32 AM   #4
JDThomp
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I've done this swap on seven jeeps. you need to take the Idle air control off and clan it our thoroughly with break/carb cleaner. Sometimes they get stuck while your messing with them from built up gunk. I've had this happen three different times and that solved it. Also might try using the TPS off the new throttle body instead of the old one, im pretty certain they are the same.
JDThomp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2015, 08:57 AM   #5
1320yj

Take that thing apart and totally clean it up inside and out with carb cleaner , reinstall with the 2.5 sensors and adjust the TPS also make sure there are on vacuum leaks .
Unread 03-26-2015, 09:12 AM   #6
VirginJeeper
1995 YJ Wrangler 

So I see that nipple on the side. I can safely say I have never seen it before. Where does it go in the TB? I guess plug it but I can't say it will work as I've never used that before. As stated by everyone else take the time to clean everything really well as it makes a difference. If you are experiencing higher idle at the beginning don't worry too much, check for vacuum leaks as stated a can of carb cleaner is the easiest way, this is of course after cleaning the TB and sensors, make sure the new TB is seated correctly and disconnect the battery for a minute or so and then start fresh. I was told the ecu will need to relearn the new air ratio mixture.
VirginJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2015, 12:37 PM   #7
dhoepp
1995 YJ Wrangler 

The nipple goes under the butterfly valve, which would let a tiny bit of air in with the valve closed. However, the oxygen sensor tunnel on the other side is always opened. So I can't imagine that having a huge impact on it. Regardless, I closed the nipple with silicone epoxy and a screw.

Also, I pulled the TB off an automatic cherokee.

Last edited by dhoepp; 03-26-2015 at 12:38 PM.. Reason: addition
Unread 03-26-2015, 12:42 PM   #8
dhoepp
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I just did some research, and I think it is the IAC. If you look in the picture, you will see its facing one direction on my old throttle body and the other direction on the new one. Could the direction matter?
Unread 03-26-2015, 04:00 PM   #9
JDThomp
1994 YJ Wrangler 

The "nipple" in question is a vacuum port that operates a sensor on the original jeep for the cruise control, blocking it off to prevent a vacuum leak. Also, the Idle air control valve can go in either way, but the connector is intended to face outward.
JDThomp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
throttle body , YJ

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.