YJ Temp Gauge - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > YJ Temp Gauge

Zone Offroad Body and Suspension Lift Kits, Brackets, DiscBilstein Shock Upgrade Kits, Jeep JK TJ XJ Wranglers and CStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 02-08-2007, 06:43 PM   #1
Snipeston
1989 YJ Wrangler 

YJ Temp Gauge

Ok bear with me here...

I am running an 4.0L from a 98 XJ that was back converted to OBD1. All the wiring is out of a 94 YJ. Here is the issue:

I believe the dash temp gauge does not run off the water temp sender in the thermostat housing. There is a single wire (BRN/YL or PPL/YL) with a flat/spade style connector at the back driver side of the block that there is no hook up for on the engine itself that I can see. I am assuming this is the temp gauge wire based on my old 4.2L and a breif look under a friends 4.0 YJ, but couldn't get a good enough look at it.

Any ideas???

Unread 02-08-2007, 06:46 PM   #2
ovrlnd

when I had my 2.5L in the 88 there was a purple wire with a connector that ran to a bolt on the block, it would come off quite a bit, if it was off the temp guage would not work. if that helps

88 YJ, 350/350 Chevy, Twin Stick Dana 300 with JB 32 spline rear output, 6.5" lift, Front Scout II Dana 44 w/Yukon 4340 shafts, trac loc, 4.27's, Warn Premium Hubs, flipped YJ Tie Rod, Ford F150 front calipers, Rear Scout II Dana 44 w/Alloy 4340 shafts, HD RPT retainer plates, 4.27's True trac, Steeltech Disc brakes, Cage upgrade, B&M Prostick Shifter, Custom Fabbed tire, gas, jack carrier, 3/8 angle rear bumper, clevis's all around, old & reliable rep8000 winch. Flood lights. loud stereo. 35x12.50 swampers and a bunch of other stuff
ovrlnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2007, 06:49 PM   #3
Snipeston
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Problem is I cant seem to find the bolt, nor can I find it online at the part stores. Is it just a bolt? The wire connector I have looks like:

(-- )
Unread 02-08-2007, 06:55 PM   #4
ovrlnd

mine just fit over one of the studs at the rear of the valve cover, really wasn't screwed to anything as it was a rubber booted connector that slid right on.?

88 YJ, 350/350 Chevy, Twin Stick Dana 300 with JB 32 spline rear output, 6.5" lift, Front Scout II Dana 44 w/Yukon 4340 shafts, trac loc, 4.27's, Warn Premium Hubs, flipped YJ Tie Rod, Ford F150 front calipers, Rear Scout II Dana 44 w/Alloy 4340 shafts, HD RPT retainer plates, 4.27's True trac, Steeltech Disc brakes, Cage upgrade, B&M Prostick Shifter, Custom Fabbed tire, gas, jack carrier, 3/8 angle rear bumper, clevis's all around, old & reliable rep8000 winch. Flood lights. loud stereo. 35x12.50 swampers and a bunch of other stuff
Unread 02-08-2007, 06:57 PM   #5
Snipeston
1989 YJ Wrangler 

That was the way my 4.2L was, but this motor came out of a 98XJ and I don't see anything that would resemble this.
Unread 02-08-2007, 07:00 PM   #6
ovrlnd

I can go check my 00 xj that is my driveway if you like?

Unread 02-08-2007, 07:04 PM   #7
Snipeston
1989 YJ Wrangler 

That would be great!!!
Unread 02-08-2007, 07:15 PM   #8
ovrlnd

damn it's cold! the temp sensor wire on my xj runs through the plastic wire cover rail and goes into the harness/loom. the only thing attached to it's block is on the back driver side stud there are two nuts that sandwich a ground strap to the firewall. the xj might use a different setup, but your yj wiring still requires the old setup did you try to connect it temporarily to see if it fixes the issue?

Unread 02-09-2007, 09:42 AM   #9
Alfons
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I just converted a 2005 TJ 4.0 to run in an ODB1 YJ. The temp guage sender hole isn't in those blocks, but you'll notice a flat spot where it's located in the older castings - I drilled and tapped a hole for the sender in this spot & it does go into the water galleries, so you should get a good reading this way.

I drained the coolant first, then drilled and tapped the hole (1/8 NPT), then used a magnetic probe to remove most of the cuttings, then put some teflon tape on the sender & installed it - works good.

I needed to drill & tap various vacuum points on the intake as well - the bosses are all in the right (or close to) places, just not used. I drilled out some of the pipes so that I could use the standard YJ vacuum fittings as well - the thread on these is 1/4" NPT.
Alfons is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.