YJ tech questions - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 07-04-2016, 09:15 PM Thread Starter
gregm31

YJ tech questions

My first jeep. 91 wrangler 4.0 5 speed. 190k. Already replaced fuel gauge and got new wheel and tires I had available. Front drive shaft was disconnected so I need to fix that. Hopefully transfer case is fine. Plan on getting inside and underneath spray lined. I also believe whoever had it before me had the roll bar replaced.

Couple questions as well I'm not 100% sure how to adress.
1. 3rd gear grinds bad half the time when shifting into it. Lately it won't even let me into 3rd without a little fight.

2. I have an issue I think is with the starter. Sometimes when I start it, I hear what I believe to be the starter, like it never popped back in, it's just spinning. Only when this happens, everything in my column stops working and the parking brake light is on. So no wipers, no blinkers. Any ideas?

Any other suggestions for my new beast?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 07-05-2016, 12:11 AM
dancytron
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Number 2 sounds like bad battery cables or bad connections. If the battery cables look newish, take off and clean the connections on both ends of the big cables. If they look old and crappy, replace them. The easiest way is to get marine terminals and regular lugged cables. Go up a few sizes just because you can. If you have that double terminal on the small positive battery cable, you can use 2 cables or a plate (I don't have those, search around there are lots of different solutions).
post #3 of 9 Old 07-05-2016, 09:50 AM
mark1305

1989 YJ Wrangler 

The third gear issue is most likely worn out synchronizer for that gear. Which means the others wont be far behind. I have about the same mileage and all my synchros are gone. As in when I changed the oil in the transmission a whole bunch of brass flakes drained out in the old oil. (Synchros are brass rings).

The good news is with a little practice you can pretty much shift to any gear without synchros and without grinding. I grew up when lots of vehicles still didn't have synchronized transmissions and you learned to work them. For my YJ which has the same AX-15 transmission, I shift to 2nd at fairly low road speed but a quick flick of the shifter. Then shift to 3rd requires kind of a pause going through the neutral gate. If I rush it, it grinds. That sounds like where you are at wear-wise. Shift to 4th is gentle, not hurried, not paused. I rarely get into 5th since the vacuum gauge I mounted tells me that up to almost 70mph I'm actually making more efficient power with less throttle staying in 4th.

Shifting back down depends. If coming to a red light or stop in any gear I shift to neutral and let the clutch out while braking to a stop. If slowing for a corner or vehicle in front of me I usually get the smoothest downshift by going to neutral, letting out clutch, then after slowing the Jeep judging which lower gear I need and then clutching and gently into it. The purpose of all this is to try and match the relative speeds of the different gear shafts involved when shifting. Which is what the synchros do by friction until they wear out.

Go ahead and change the oils in your transmission and transfer case for peace of mind and to see what comes out (especially since the front driveshaft may have been disconnected for a reason). Note that the spec for transmission changed way back from heavy gear lube to 10W-30 motor oil. Check the FAQ thread to find write ups with good tips on changing the fluids (and the discussion of the gear oil spec changing to motor oil).

Good luck and have fun with it. This forum has a wealth of knowledge already written up and stickied which saves having to post a lot of questions. But when you do have to ask, there's lots of help.

Edit: I forgot double-clutching. I don't have to do it much. But if I get stuck in neutral after coasting/slowing or pausing too long in a slow shift, a quick in-out-in with the clutch helps spin up the gear shafts so it will go into gear.
post #4 of 9 Old 07-05-2016, 11:18 AM Thread Starter
gregm31

Thanks for the post. Yeah, 3rd seems to be ok when I seriously take my time shifting it to it. Otherwise it likes to fight back.

post #5 of 9 Old 07-05-2016, 11:40 AM
06slvrrubi
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
#2 sounds like it could be something in the ignition switch. Not sure, but on some vehicles, when the key is turned to "start", power gets cut to things like wipers and turn signals. Is it possible the ignition switch (switch itself, probably located somewhere down in the steering column, not the key cylinder) is getting stuck in the "start" position?
The key cylinder usually actuates a rod, which will run down the ignition switch itself. If the switch is sticky or wearing out, when you turn it to start it could be hanging up there, before it returns to just the "on" position. This would also cause your starter to "hang up".

1995 YJ Rio Grande
post #6 of 9 Old 07-06-2016, 07:24 AM
Mookdog
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I have a similar issue with 1st and 2nd gear. It just fights a little going in. I have to be patient on the shifter, wiggle a little and she slides in. 3-5 all slide super smooth and I can shift quickly while accelerating into highway speeds. Not sure if it is even worth troubleshooting at this point, I guess I'll add it to the list. I'm like you, just got the jeep have only had it for a few weeks. So many other projects are ahead of that one in line!
post #7 of 9 Old 07-06-2016, 09:06 AM
Chrisnvegas
INFIDEL

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Change all fluids. If you want re-usable gaskets for the diffs (Lube locker)
Check your serp belt carefully for cracks and wear.
Examine exhaust manifold for cracks, if so, replace. It will restore performance and mpg.
Next oil change, try a motorcraft Fl-1A oil filter. Is has extra capacity.
And plasti-dip those wheels black please.

What happens in my Jeep, stays in my Jeep
post #8 of 9 Old 07-06-2016, 09:18 AM Thread Starter
gregm31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisnvegas View Post
Change all fluids. If you want re-usable gaskets for the diffs (Lube locker)
Check your serp belt carefully for cracks and wear.
Examine exhaust manifold for cracks, if so, replace. It will restore performance and mpg.
Next oil change, try a motorcraft Fl-1A oil filter. Is has extra capacity.
And plasti-dip those wheels black please.
Thanks for the tips. I don't mind the silver wheels. You really think they would look better black? Any idea what type they are? I need to get one for a spare.

post #9 of 9 Old 07-06-2016, 10:04 AM
Mookdog
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Everything looks better black in my opinion. I hope to plasti-dip my entire Jeep flat black once I get all the "must-fixes" fixed and start playing with cosmetics.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.