YJ suspensions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > YJ suspensions

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 01-04-2008, 06:07 PM   #1
Obcean2
1993 YJ Wrangler 

YJ suspensions

So I took my YJ to the local Jeep place (not a dealer) to see if I got "took" or if I made a good deal. The guys seemed to think I did ok at 2500 for a 93 4.0 5 speed. One of the guys said "You know, of course, that your suspension is gone." Gotta say that no, I hadn't noticed. What a Noob. One of the fenders has a nice tire shaped cut out and I am only running 265s.
So of course I checked out the forum to see what I could learn about suspensions. I saw a couple of comments about YJ's not having coil springs. Gotta say I didn't notice that. I know that the YJ's have leaf springs, but I have seen lift kits with both.
So, after all that, here are my questions.
Do YJ's only have leaf springs? (I know I could go look but it is dark and cold at the moment.) Can you get a good lift with leaf springs? I have been looking at the Rancho 2 or 2.5 kits. I have read about leaf springs flattening out or inverting. Do leaf springs last as long as coil springs? Also, In order to maintain stability as I go up, should I get offsets for my wheels?
Finally, am I going to look like a total goober driving a lifted jeep with lil bitty 265's? (Can't do tires and suspension at the same time.
I know this was long, thanks for reading.

Obcean2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2008, 06:19 PM   #2
Petrucci
1994 YJ Wrangler 

yes its all leaf springs, yes you can can a good lift, RE is very good, look here
www.rubiconexpress.com
also pro comp makes a good kit
www.explorerprocomp.com
Petrucci is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2008, 07:11 PM   #3
Obcean2
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I just checked out Rubicon Express, the 4" lift is only around $31.00 more than the 2.5 lift, so I guess it would make sense to just get the 4. It just seems so......tall.
Unread 01-04-2008, 07:37 PM   #4
SonofSam02
1994 YJ Wrangler 

you may want to do some reading in the faq section at the top of the forum
it will answer many of the questions that you have
SonofSam02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2008, 08:05 PM   #5
sam.b.
1998 TJ Wrangler 

might wanna fill out your profile info while you at it
sam.b. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2008, 08:34 PM   #6
Obcean2
1993 YJ Wrangler 

um yeah, about the profile. It is as filled out as it can be. I don't know half the the stuff that is asked for.
I check the FAQ and I do a search before I ask questions.
Unread 01-04-2008, 08:51 PM   #7
hunkajunk
1995 YJ Wrangler 

You will want to read up on slip yoke eliminators. As with a lift higher then 3" your drive-line angles may not be correct. The results of which range from bad to catastrophic.

Welcome!

Your wallet will never be the same again.

Edit: Go to Jeeps website and send your vin # to them and ask for a build sheet. That wil tell you what your Jeep left the factory with.
Unread 01-04-2008, 08:52 PM   #8
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Howdy be sure to say hi to my sister if you bump into her.

Although I'm one of the original folks who got Rancho off the ground way back when I'm not a fan of their kits for the YJ - never have been for several reasons.

Yep, leafs will sometimes sag or loose their original height or arch. That's normal and to be expected. However, leafs that are designed superior, will last alot longer, and provide a much smoother controlable ride when coupled to good shocks. It's a balancing act and lots of companies take too many shortcuts and their products simply ride & last accordingly.

Yep, there are a few kits out there that convert the leaf spring suspension from leafs to coil springs. There are also ways to convert to coilovers, which are much different and have the potential to be far superior than either of the other when done right....but.....$,$$$.

Coil conversion kits tend to take shortcuts in my opinion, and they don't come cheap either. Plus there's the factor of a complex install compared to simply tossing in a new set of leafs & shocks.

I'm not a big fan of wheel spacers although they do have their place. An alternative to that is wheels with a different offset which places the wheels out farther, and wider wheels to fit the larger & wider tires.
Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2008, 10:16 PM   #9
Fogrunner
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Hey, welcome. Don't worry aout lift and tires at the same time. Get the lift right and then get the tires as $$$ can afford.

Hey Joe, Thanks for the advice ( as always) I use wheel spacers and haven't had any trouble. I agree that correct backspacing is important, but spacers work till the money for the right wheels is available!!
Unread 01-04-2008, 10:58 PM   #10
provinT13
1999 TJ Wrangler 

^^ doesn't that defeat the purpose of the lift? No matter how high you lift it, if you dont get bigger tires the axle is still at the same height, and it would look pretty funky, stock tires and a 4 inch lift.

94 YJ Build

99 TJ Build
provinT13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2008, 11:49 PM   #11
--chris--
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by provinT13
^^ doesn't that defeat the purpose of the lift? No matter how high you lift it, if you dont get bigger tires the axle is still at the same height, and it would look pretty funky, stock tires and a 4 inch lift.
This is true if you plan on running 265's forever.

But if you cant afford both the lift and the rubber at the same time, then its ok to do it one at a time as money allows.

forgot to add:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/how-will-my-jeep-look-xx-tires-x-x-lift-109455/
--chris-- is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2008, 12:14 AM   #12
goatboy
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obcean2
I just checked out Rubicon Express, the 4" lift is only around $31.00 more than the 2.5 lift, so I guess it would make sense to just get the 4. It just seems so......tall.
Naw, it doesn't necessarily make sense to go with 4" over 2.5"...you're on the right path, there...you get a lift based upon what you wanna do with your vehicle and based upon the size tires ya want... I coulda afforded a 4", but went with 2.5" for several reasons...my type of usage didn't predicate anything bigger than a 31" tire, so the 2.5" lift made sense...I didn't want to outrageously affect the center of gravity...I didn't want to do all the modifications necessary to support a 4" lift, although it did require a dropped pitman arm, normally not necessary for a 2.5" lift, but in my case, it became required.

So, pick your lift based upon how you will use your Jeep and the tires you want to install...
goatboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2008, 10:06 AM   #13
PanthrosRevenge
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obcean2
The 2.5 kit comes with the nicer RE shocks, while the 4" kit comes with those cheap DT3000 shocks
31X10.5X15 Hitech AT's
2.5" Rubicon Express SD Lift
Midland CB w/ 4' Firestik II
PanthrosRevenge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2008, 10:26 AM   #14
goatboy
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Yep. If you prefer th 2.5" lift, go with it...
goatboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2008, 10:37 AM   #15
flysyj
1994 YJ Wrangler 

ps..if you are looking at your front fenders..they are not 'flat' along the bottom edge, they all have a sort of 'simi circle' cut out in them..figure out what you want to do to your jeep, and then buy as you can afford..a 4" lift, will look great-if you are going with a 33" tire-eventually. it will also mean, new gears, sye and a few other things to work properly..go to car domain and look up yj's, they have thousands of pics of peoples jeeps and you can get an idea of the 'look and function' of what you want..welcome to 'yj-jeepin' empty your wallet and have some fun~fly
flysyj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.