YJ suspension - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > YJ suspension

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 04-17-2010, 05:02 AM   #1
tekach
1995 YJ Wrangler 

YJ suspension

Hello Jeep enthusiasts,

I'd kindly ask you for your expert opinion:

What is the max diameter coilover I can put in front of a YJ? What is the max coilover lenght I can use without cutting the metal fender?

I am looking at 2.5" lift.

Thanks for you answers.
Andrej

tekach is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2010, 07:14 AM   #2
Area.3.Fiftyone
1996 ZJ 

YJ have leaf springs not coils so I doubt anyone here is going to be able to answer your question.
Unread 04-17-2010, 08:27 AM   #3
1998zj
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Go read up on Pirate4x4, lots of guys over there do some serious fabricating. Be sure to ask this question in the hardcore section.
Unread 04-17-2010, 10:46 AM   #4
tekach
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I am fully aware YJ has leaf springs, I am racing with it for three years :-)

My current RE suspension lift is busted (again) so looking for an upgrade. RE and OME are now producing their lifts in India and Thailand, so they're out of question.

My first thought is an upgrade to Deaver leaf packs OR a totally different route - coilovers front and coils rear. Just gathering info, no decision yet.

Pirate4x4 is a nice and informative place, but they are into crawling with lots of lift ( = very long coilovers), super big tires and I'm into speed with small lift and tiny tires :-)

Any input appreciated.

Thanks
Andrej
Unread 04-17-2010, 11:15 AM   #5
RockWoRM
Don't Fear the Jeeper

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekach View Post
I am fully aware YJ has leaf springs, I am racing with it for three years :-)

My current RE suspension lift is busted (again) so looking for an upgrade. RE and OME are now producing their lifts in India and Thailand, so they're out of question.

My first thought is an upgrade to Deaver leaf packs OR a totally different route - coilovers front and coils rear. Just gathering info, no decision yet.

Pirate4x4 is a nice and informative place, but they are into crawling with lots of lift ( = very long coilovers), super big tires and I'm into speed with small lift and tiny tires :-)

Any input appreciated.

Thanks
Andrej
Although the POR comment was an obvious joke, I would post over there anyway. I know next to nothing about coilovers, but as you pointed out, they do alot of different things over there. I don't believe there are a huge number of guys on this board that would have the kind of set up you're looking for??? (to me, a 2.5" of lift seems moot for coilovers, and I honestly don't know if it's doable???) You may also try posting in one of the other forums... perhaps even the TJ forum, which is more geared to coils and the like.
Also, fill out your profile. That will be more helpful. Depending on what you have now, I would'nt waste the $$, time and effort in coiling a turdy 5 rear.

WRM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80 CHOPPER View Post
Knowledge is a tool, without knowledge, you are just a tool.
RockWoRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2010, 11:27 AM   #6
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

You can save yourself loads of time, energy, frustration, etc, by just calling Fox, Bilstein, King, F-O-A (or any other coilover builder who makes coilovers for Jeeps).
Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2010, 12:13 PM   #7
tekach
1995 YJ Wrangler 

@ Rock Worm: thanks for hint. Have updated the profile a bit as well.

@ Joe: It seems that Fox , SAW and King don't care too much about my (our) inventions. I have already contacted them when ordering my current shocks and they did not provide too much info. I had to specify my shocks very precisely, including type of shock mounts on YJ. Funny, I know. Would expect that they will be able to advise and propose a solution, but that was not the case.
Unread 04-17-2010, 12:28 PM   #8
xdgt03
1994 YJ Wrangler 

You can buy coil conversion kits. I assume you know this. I have heard spooky things about coil conversions on yj's but they keep making them so I guess they must work when done right. Full coilovers front and rear would be the next option but that will require some fabrication. Since you seem intent on keeping the yj and spending a fair amount of money on a new suspension the fabrication aspect shouldn't be an issue. You can have custom rates spec'd for the springs and shocks. I have no idea what you would spec. What kind of racing are you doing where you are breaking leafs and only have a 2.5" lift? bds makes a good set of leafs (i don't know if they are sourced overseas or not).
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
2.5L
31x10.5x15 BFG MT
xdgt03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2010, 12:58 PM   #9
tekach
1995 YJ Wrangler 

hello xdgt03,

thanks for your opinion.

The coilover kits available all have huge lift, are expensive and use too many compromises (buyer friendly, easy install). IF I go with coilovers, I'll probably use Toyota Landcruiser 73 radius arms front and rear. Radius arms front and rear are also used in LR Defender, Mercedes G, etc... so I should be OK.

I'm racing in so called marathon desert rallies. They take place in Sahara desert of North African countries (Tunisia, Libya, ...). It's all about navigation, durabilty and endurance. Some pics:

109 - Jeep Wrangler

OME lift, that I was abusing before, started to sag badly so I replaced it with RE. Got them with Made in India sticker on them.

Anyway, they died soon and in two stages:
- First I noticed that the shortest leaf on right rear end remained bent straight (was not aligned with other leafs anymore, which is quite strange for spring steel)
- Bit later I broke the main leaf in the same leaf pack and the game was over.

What kind of spooky stories have you heard about coilovers? Am really not dead set on coilovers, just gathering data in order to make an informed decision.

Does any of you have a first hand experience with Alcan or Deaver leaf packs?

Andrej
Unread 04-17-2010, 03:58 PM   #10
Area.3.Fiftyone
1996 ZJ 

He is not talking about coil conversion kits, he is talking about a coil over suspension.

As in long arm, 3-4 link, radius arms, etc with coilover shocks. It's a totally different animal.

Most coilovers I have ever seen use 2.5" diameter springs but it all depends on what spring rate you want and shock travel and it's impossible to tell you what will work until you have fabbed something up.

Where is your top mount, where is your bottom mount, how much do you want to cut the inner fender, etc?

And for the record: The guys over at Pirate are not looking for lots of lift with big tires. Quite the opposite. For crawling, you want as low a COG as possible with maximum articulation.

Minimal lift for the largest tires you want to run with the most amount of flex (uptravel and droop). That's why they need long shocks.

Not trying to be a jerk but your question is way too vague for anyone to give you a useful answer.
Unread 04-17-2010, 04:32 PM   #11
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I tend to agree with IronMaiden.

The reality is - it's actually not funny or odd whatsoever.

The responce you received from the coilover makers is exactly what I would have expected you should have gotten.

If you can not supply them with the required info that they need to build you a coilover, you have tied their hands and it's up to you to correct that, not them.

Till that happends, you'll be dead in the water unless somebody wishes to take the time to figure it out for you.
Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.