YJ stumbles on freeway - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > YJ stumbles on freeway

Happy Thursday! From Morris 4X4 CenterHalloween Savings to die for!THE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/Bla

Unread 09-17-2012, 11:22 PM   #1
JoshsYJ
1994 YJ Wrangler 

YJ stumbles on freeway

I am stumped by this one. My 94 YJ 4.0 has no power above 60 mph. She also stumbles and bucks alot above that speed. The tachmeter bounces all over ther place when you watch it. One time it was so bad that the cel came on. The weird part is that once the light came on she ran great like nothing was wrong. As soon as shut her down and restarted her the light was off and she ran rough again. Sometimes I have to drop to fourth gear just to keep speed and it feels like the brakes are dragging but i know it isnt the brakes. I checked the codes and they were 21 (o2 sensor circuit), 24 (tps circuit) and 52 (o2 running rich). I just replaced the o2 sensor so i doubt it is that. Wouldn't a bad tps show at all speeds? How do I check a tps? Any and all suggestions would be appreciated.

Unread 09-17-2012, 11:39 PM   #2
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...r-help-889504/
Unread 09-18-2012, 08:26 AM   #3
JoshsYJ
1994 YJ Wrangler 

So I checked the TPS and here were the results: when tested off the vehicle it went from .5 to 6.3 and 5.8 to .6, when tested on the vehicle it went from 2.2 to 5.5 and 4.8 to 1.6 There were no dead spots and it rose and declined smoothly on the multimeter. However, after I plugged everything back in I started getting a high idle of around 1400 rpm. It will drop back down to 700 rpm after a few minutes. It doesnt matter if the engine is cold or hot it will idle high then drop to normal range. The idle is a little rough once it drops back to 700 rpm. Im thinking that would be the TPS or no?
Unread 09-18-2012, 08:44 AM   #4
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

That would be my guess. Then again I'm not an engine expert. I'm not an expert at any part of the jeep.
Unread 09-18-2012, 08:53 AM   #5
JoshsYJ
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Its just weird that it only does it at freeway speed. Its a speed based problem and not an rpm based problem. It doesn't make any sense to me. I guess I will just throw a TPS sensor on and see if that fixes her.

Tags
yj stumbles

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.