YJ Stuck in 4 Wheel High - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > YJ Stuck in 4 Wheel High

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Unread 06-29-2012, 02:34 PM   #1
bpete123
1992 YJ Wrangler 

YJ Stuck in 4 Wheel High

Last time I went off-roading i put my YJ in 4 wheel high and when I finished and went to put it back un 2-H it wouldnt go. I could shift into 4-L, N, and back to 4-H but when I tried to go up to 2-Wheel it wouldn't budge. i don't know how it got back into 2 but my dad was driving it back from my mechanic and said all of a sudden it was in 2-H. I am afraid to put it in 4-H again to go Off-Roading. Any ideas? I tried everything going back to dirt to put it in, not moving in neutral, while moving, while moving backward etc. Please Help i want to go wheeling again!

bpete123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2012, 02:52 PM   #2
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

How do you know you're not in 2HI when you push the shifter all the way forward?

Check your shifter linkage and make sure it's adjusted properly and tight.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2012, 02:53 PM   #3
Cooter92YJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

My "guess" is something got in the linkage somewhere. Start there, looking around for wire, hose, or whatever shouldn't be there, or something loose or wore out. Might pull shift boot off and look from top, if you can't see anything from below. From there I'd try shifting it again and see if it hangs up again. Strange that it works in all the other positions.
Cooter92YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2012, 10:23 PM   #4
bpete123
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I know it is still in 4-H because the 4-Wheel drive light is still on and it drives ****ty on the road like it does in 4-Wheel. The previous owner is a friend and he said it never happened to him. So it was probably just a fluke. My mechanic said the linkage looked good. It had a little bit of mud on it but he said it was tight. I just wanted to get all the advice I could before I do it again so if it does happen I can have all the info possible
Unread 06-30-2012, 09:57 AM   #5
Red93yj
2011 JK Wrangler 

I have the same problem. Crawl under your jeep and look at the t case shift it to 2 hi with your hand shift it while under your jeep
Red93yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2012, 05:13 PM   #6
jason280
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Sounds like a shift linkage issue. Do as the previous poster suggested, and see if you can manually shift it to 2Hi from the lever on the side of the transfer case.
jason280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2012, 05:43 PM   #7
Noltz
YJ Wrangler 

The 4x4 light is controlled not by your transfer case but your front axle disconnect fork position. So you may be in 2x4, but if that fork stays engaged, then the front driveshaft will spin as you drive down the road. The front driveshaft is not a balanced shaft, so you feel major vibes at higher speeds.

All the following are done with the vehicle in PARK or Neutral w/park brake set and wheels chocked.
1) Remove vacuum lines from front axle. Start engine and verify Jeep is in 2WD. At the axle you should have vacuum on one line, nothing on the other.
2) Shift into 4x4, you should have vacuum on the OTHER line, nothing on the first. This verifies all the vacuum lines & valves are working. Your 4x4 light will not illuminate. Turn off engine.
3) Reinstall vacuum lines onto axle. Lift and support front axle, wheels off the ground.
4) Check that front drive shaft spins freely and does not turn front wheels. This is with Jeep in 2WD.
5) Start Jeep, shift into 4x4. Verify your 4x4 light is working again.
6) Shut off engine. Shift into 2WD with engine off. Check that front drive shaft does not turn freely, but now drive the front wheels.

If all of these checks work, your system is functioning normally at this time. There are a LOT of threads of front ADD's failing. You can order a new one, convert to a manual (cable) operated one, or permanently engage your front axle. If you choose to engage it, you can either lock the shift fork into the engaged position or convert to a TJ front drive axle. You will need to get the front driveshaft balanced for either permanent solution.
Noltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2012, 06:17 PM   #8
GunHo198
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Often the vacuum switch on the transfer case gets sticky and makes the light stay on even though it's in 2 wheel drive. It just doesn't let enough vacuum at the axel disconnect to reset the light. You can often get a new vacuum switch at the auto parts stores in the help section. I usually get mine from pep boys auto. There $15.00 and I would buy 2. There the 4 port switches. They just screw in the Transfercase on the drives side and the vacuum harness plugs into it.
Unread 06-30-2012, 09:39 PM   #9
Noltz
YJ Wrangler 

I should clarify my above post. GunHo is right, the transfer case switch is responsible to send vacuum to the correct line (to pull the fork on, or pull the fork off). But the actual electrical contact switch that turns the 4x4 light on is located on the front axle.

Here's my very dirty disconnect, and you can see the electrical wiring for the light. I was having fun in some clay last week.
Noltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2012, 07:31 PM   #10
bpete123
1992 YJ Wrangler 

All very good points. I will try moving it manually from under the car next time. And I thought the same thing with the light being on. But when i would drive it on the rode it was rough as hell. Definitely still in 4-H

Tags
off road , wheeling , wrangler , YJ

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.