Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

YJ Stereo options and ideas...

17K views 59 replies 20 participants last post by  2k2wranglerx 
#1 ·
Let this be a thread where everyone can post of their ideas and choices for YJ stereos. I had a nice little system in mine then I started to actually use my Jeep :)

Now I have to rethink everything...

Old set up:
head unit
Clarion 5 channel amp mounted behind the rear seat
10" bazooka tube behind the rear seat
upgraded dash speakers
4x6 rectangular outdoor speakers mounted on my fender wells in the rear.

I want to reuse my 5 channel amp and think I am going to mount it under my driver seat :shhh:

Some Ideas:
http://www.amazon.com/Vertically-Dr...qid=1365869791&sr=8-7&keywords=Jeep+yj+stereo
for the front:
http://www.amazon.com/Select-Increm...d=1365869879&sr=1-2&keywords=jeep+yj+speakers
and or for the back:
http://www.amazon.com/Vertically-Dr...9907&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=jeep+yj+speakers

Please post up pics of your stereo and ideas for what works and doesn't... and any thoughts on what I am considering are appreciated:

See less See more
#37 ·
Anticanman said:
Good call. Round ports on small boxes with small woofers are impossible to tune. Especially in a jeep. A secondary enclosure like a trunk is improbable but not impossible. Numbers gotta add up Mathing is hard.
Round ports, square ports, rectangles,trapezoids, they all tune the same. It's all about square inches and length.

That box, just by looks is way too small for a ported design.

#40 ·
When you factor in depth and resonance, it makes a difference. I prefer slot ported boxes for subs that have the room for that kind of airspace but punchy bass is best in a sealed box and it doesn't resonate through the tinny jeep as badly. Personally, being an audiophile my entire life (and building one DBDrag box to match an old sub) I am perfectly content with 6x9 speakers in the jeep. The sound quality is always skewed unless you dynamat the entire tub and top to eliminate outside noise and vibrations.

#38 ·
Gage56 said:
Yeah i wanted to try and get them tuned around 80hz but it's just too hard with such a small box ended up going back to 1/2 pound of polly fill and sealed it back up Not true just because its a jeep does not mean you can not have good crisp mids and highs and nice punchy lows, its just all in how you place and set things up
Ive done more installs Thani can remember. Everything from spl competition vehicles and sq setups. Jeeps have the worst imaging possible. A bandpass design, while hard to get correct , is best suited for a vehicle like a jeep. It doesn't need to be loaded for imaging. It will tend to have an effective radius, but doesn't require the imaging of a trunk to get it loaded.

I have literally gotten my boat to sound better than any jeep I've ever worked on. My previous Toyota would drive people out of it, all while being SQL comp worthy. My jeep came with the cheapest equipment you can find for aftermarket stuff. It's still in there because it's not worth re doing for the minimal amount of gain that I would see in a jeep.

#41 ·
Anticanman said:
When you factor in depth and resonance, it makes a difference. I prefer slot ported boxes for subs that have the room for that kind of airspace but punchy bass is best in a sealed box and it doesn't resonate through the tinny jeep as badly. Personally, being an audiophile my entire life (and building one DBDrag box to match an old sub) I am perfectly content with 6x9 speakers in the jeep. The sound quality is always skewed unless you dynamat the entire tub and top to eliminate outside noise and vibrations.
Depth and resonance of what? Ported woofers are way over thought. Biggest issue is port length to bet volume, then size of the vehicle and desired tuning frequency.

Ports can bend of you are talking about the depth of the enclosure. Either way, that enclosure was too small for any port, acoustically or physically. Sound pressure is sound pressure, no matter the type of enclosure that it is produced from. Either will produce rattles and vibrations. A jeeps tub would require massive amounts of deadening to stop that, like 100+ pounds worth. Then where are you, in a rattle and vibration free open and completely horrible acoustical jeep. A ported enclosure when designed correctly can produce stunning sound quality while yielding about 15% more output. It takes a fine calculation of cone area and porting to get a smooth response, but it can be done. The old stereotype that ported enclosures can't have a flat response is crazy. Will it ever be acoustically as perfect as a sealed enclosure of a arc of .7, no, but they are winning more and more competitions theses days.

#44 ·
Dude you are not the only person that has worked with or in the audio field and i have a Nikon D5100 DSLR that takes pretty good sound and video

I worked for a local place for about 4-5 years building and installing custom sub/ stereo setups and on top of that i have been a audio head all my life SO my standards of Good sound is on the high end. For you to say you get better sound out of a Boat than a Jeep is absurd there is NO Way If you know what you are doing you can get the same quality sound out of both. I understand that a bandpass box yes you will get the Ground shaking thunder bass but again I Said Good Sound Quality Not Comp Style SPL.

The setup im running is temp till i get back to work and get the cash for a Better set of MB Quart component's and MDF and fiberglass for the sub boxes

#43 ·
Ditched the back seat many years back and filled the space with speakers and amps.

Custom box with locking amp compartment with plexiglass "viewing panels"
2 - 10" MTX Thunder 8000's
2 - Pyle 6x9's in the wheel well wedges
2 - Kenwood 4x6's in the dash
Soundbar with 4 1/4" Kenwoods
800W Sony explode amp pushing the subs
1000W 6 channel Kenwood amp pushing everything else
1.5 farad cap
Yellow top deep cell marine battery
upgraded 175 amp alternator

I used to have much more detailed and descriptive pics. Unfortunately they ended up in the Gulf of Mexico after Hurricane Katrina.... sorry.

It pounded for many years. The amp connections have since corroded beyond salvation during a 4 year storage. Sadly, I had to pull it all out to make room for my Son's booster seat. :( But, he loves riding in the Jeep.... so I think it's a fair trade off.

#45 ·
The stereo I put together, Cheap but effective.

Not pictured Sound bar with Pioneer 6X9's. I like them better than the 6" round.

Sub under drivers seat. Powered Kenwood. Small but surprisingly good bass.

Clarion Am/Fm Sd card, USB thumb drive or 1/8th" inch jack. No CD player. Who uses CD's?
Radio is very short without CD player.

No interference in front or rear.

#47 ·
Gage56 said:
Dude you are not the only person that has worked with or in the audio field and i have a Nikon D5100 DSLR that takes pretty good sound and video I worked for a local place for about 4-5 years building and installing custom sub/ stereo setups and on top of that i have been a audio head all my life SO my standards of Good sound is on the high end. For you to say you get better sound out of a Boat than a Jeep is absurd there is NO Way If you know what you are doing you can get the same quality sound out of both. I understand that a bandpass box yes you will get the Ground shaking thunder bass but again I Said Good Sound Quality Not Comp Style SPL. The setup im running is temp till i get back to work and get the cash for a Better set of MB Quart component's and MDF and fiberglass for the sub boxes
You obviously aren't aware of the wakeboard boat sound comps. 4k watts on the highs/mids, more to the low end, dd woofers , focal/ dynaudio components, etc....

#51 ·
Gage56 said:
Thanks :D Now just to Remake them so the look purdy :rofl: Yes i do know about it AGAIN Im talking about OVER ALL Sound Quality Not SLP Comps I think im safe in saing the 99% of the people here are just going for Good sound not a 10k + Show winning setup
Right, but to say that the wranglers as the ability to have great sound isn't accurate. It can sound pleasing, but by it will not ever accurately reproduce music.

#54 ·
Beaveranger said:
So wrong. My system had excellent quality sound. Methinks someone over values their own opinion.....
Well, opinions are subjective. I totally get that. If you are pleased with it, that's all that matters. But SQ and jeeps don't go together, much like jeeps and formula one don't go together. Just sayin that you won't ever see one at a SQ comp.

#59 ·
I figure since these tower speakers are made to throw sound 70+ feet back from a boat to a wakeboarder, they should do pretty well sending the sound 1.5' from my cage to my head. So far this has proven to be correct. They have good bass as well (not to the level of a sub, but better than standard speakers IMO). For a setup with a completely clean install where the only visible parts are the 2 tubies, and my Iphone, not to mention it being water resistant, I'm 100% happy with it.

#60 ·
Reviving another old thread... because this is the first YJ i'm actually putting $ into...

i'm thinking a sound wedge in front of the shifter:

i'll cut it out and do a 6.5" component set with crossovers and put the tweeters somewhere.

in the back behind the seat i'm thinking sound wedges:

with a component set with the tweeters mounted to the wedge.

I have a 1000 watt 4 channel amp to run them. BUT, a few questions.

1. should i even keep the dash speakers hooked up? should i replace them and run them too? or is that a waste?

2. are there any easy and affordable options for the roll bar (family style)? I don't have the time to fab boxes. Fab time will end up having to go into the axle swaps. and i work 60 hours a week. Just looking for a good solution.

Sub will wait till i see how this sounds.

I run a back seat so i need room for the kiddo. I am asking because i upgraded the stock speakers in my TJ to decent 200 watt pioneers but didn't amp them (aftermarket head unit). it was lacking in the grunt department. I just want to see if there's any good/better options out there or if i'm on the right track.

Thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.