YJ Stereo Installation Help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > YJ Stereo Installation Help

Labor day sale @ rockridge 4wd! 8/29-9/1 site wide..promo Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comShocktober is here! Get new shocks for your Jeep!!!!

Unread 08-16-2010, 06:06 PM   #1
bbbavaro
1991 YJ Wrangler 

YJ Stereo Installation Help

Hey guys, it's my first time posting here, and I'm wondering if anyone can help with some wiring problems I'm having with my stereo. I have two Boston Acoustics installed in roll bar boxes in the back, run with new speaker cables. But the front two speakers in the dash are not wired in. I reached up and found the wiring harness, but it seems like there are four wires coming out, I can't really tell. Anyways, should I use the existing harness and cables to wire the speakers into my head, or should I run new speaker cable? If I use the existing cables, what colors are they? Thanks!

bbbavaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2010, 06:35 PM   #2
HMFIC

1994 YJ Wrangler 

When you say harness are you talking about the one where your head unit plugs in or where you speakers connect?

If your front speakers are the factory ones they are more then likely falling apart as the cones are made of a paper like material.

Either way just use factory wires for front. Better wires for speakers that small will not make any noticeable difference. If you cant figure out the wires just run new ones, its only 3 feet or so from head unit.

As to the colors I am not sure.
HMFIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2010, 06:38 PM   #3
bbbavaro
1991 YJ Wrangler 

HMFIC--by harness i mean the one that connects the wire to the speaker itself. i'm hoping to get new speakers at some point, but the ones in their now are decent. should there just be two wires going from the speaker to the head unit?
bbbavaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2010, 06:39 PM   #4
OOXTEME
1994 YJ Wrangler 

1991 Jeep Wrangler Car Stereo Radio Wiring Diagram

Car Radio Constant 12V+ Wire: Pink
Car Radio Switched 12V+ Wire: Purple/White
Car Radio Ground Wire: Black
Car Radio Illumination Wire: Blue/Red
Car Radio Dimmer Wire: Red/Black
Car Radio Antenna Trigger: N/A
Car Radio Amp Trigger Wire: N/A
Front Speakers Size: 4″ x 6″
Front Speakers Location: Dash
Left Front Speaker Wire (+): Gray
Left Front Speaker Wire (-): Yellow
Right Front Speaker Wire (+): White/Red
Right Front Speaker Wire (-): Black/Red
Rear Speakers Size: 4″
Rear Speakers Location: Rear Roof
Left Rear Speaker Wire (+): Gray/White
Left Rear Speaker Wire (-): Brown/White
Right Rear Speaker Wire (+): White/Black
Right Rear Speaker Wire (-): Brown

94 Yj 350 700R4 Swap with Ford 8.8 in progress, 3" BDS Lift, 1" Shackels, 3" Body, Rhino Lined Tub
OOXTEME is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
speakers , YJ

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.