YJ steering linkage ? full size axles - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > YJ steering linkage ? full size axles

Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiClayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Clayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank Skid

Unread 12-22-2001, 10:22 PM   #1
Glassman

YJ steering linkage ? full size axles

Need help with steering linkage for a YJ with fullsize blazer or cherokee axles. Column to gearbox any one done this before?

Glassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2001, 10:54 PM   #2
osburn
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Why not leave that part stock? Just change rod ends to match your existing pitman arm.
osburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2001, 11:49 PM   #3
Glassman

I came into a partly done project. They have the fullsize gearbox mounted on the outside of the frame. Column rod would run at an angle. Might be better of to go back to stock gearbox. Was looking for ideas. Thanks
Glassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2001, 05:13 PM   #4
Signman

Best thing to do would be to use some universal steering joints, one at the box and one at the top of the shaft. Use a new double D shaft as well. I did a steering conversion in my 57 Chev pickup and used Borgeson joints (borgeson.com)and a new shaft. shaft can be up to a 30 degree angle with no problems.
I used polished stainless but they sell steel as well...EXCELLENT construction and are all needle bearings, splined, smooth or double D.

Good luck

Cheers,
Ashley..

I love my Country,
It's the Government I'm afraid of!
Signman is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.