YJ steering column swap mid 80's S10 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > YJ steering column swap mid 80's S10

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!Ruffstuff's Monster Shock Brackets!Even Better Heim Pricing! From Ruffstuff

Unread 10-07-2008, 09:10 PM   #1
Shamrock84
1988 YJ Wrangler 

YJ steering column swap mid 80's S10

I have tried searching for info on this but everything related in for cj's. I have a column from a s10 that i want to install in the 88 yj.
Does anyone have experience with this?
im specifically wondering about the floor mount and the length of the shaft that sticks out past the lower bearing. I havent test fit anything yet but when the shafts are lined up side by side im not sure if it will work. thanks

Shamrock84 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-08-2008, 04:10 PM   #2
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Break the problem done into units:

First off the YJ column bolts to the lower dash first. I will assume the S10 column does also. Is the set up similar at the dash for them both? Then check out the toe plate on the YJ. Can you use the toe plate from the YJ column to hold the S10 column in place at the firewall or if the columns are a different diameter could you use the S10 toe plate to do so?

Now you need to deal with the lower steering shaft. Is the YJ lower shaft the right length, and will it bolt up to the end of the S10 column. If not the cut the two shafts and weld them back together to make them hook up.

Then it is the wiring that needs to be done but if you get this far the wiring should not be too big of a hassle.

If what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger, I should be able to bench press a Grand Cherokee by now!
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-08-2008, 05:21 PM   #3
fratis

1991 YJ Wrangler 

why? just get the right parts and save yourself a ton of headaches.
fratis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-09-2008, 12:17 PM   #4
Shamrock84
1988 YJ Wrangler 

laybackman: thanks for the help, everything bolts up. im am going to have to weld the shafts together. it is like 3/4 of an inch short. as far as the wiring goes, it shouldnt be too bad.
Unread 06-22-2010, 11:53 AM   #5
Shamrock84
1988 YJ Wrangler 

just an update for people who may find this thread looking for help with a steering column swap. Aftermarket columns are upwards of 300 bills and a used column with the same amenities is a lot too. I was replacing a manual column with tilt and multi speed wipers. found a chev s-10 column, which were also made by saginaw, and while the steering shaft was about an inch too short i was able to let it out of the slip joint and still had enough overlap for safety. all else bolted up correctly after i switched the floorboard mounts from my original to the new one. wiring was simple and they utilized the same plugs for ignition and even wipers. While i lucked out my friend did this same swap and had to splice wiper wires as his column only had slow and fast speeds and the plugs didnt line up. Anyway the s10 column swap is a great solution for those with beat up yj columns or those seeking to upgrade older models without tilt, even cj's.
peace
Unread 06-22-2010, 12:08 PM   #6
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the followup. It's always nice to find out what happened; otherwise it's like someone tore the last page out of a book.

cheers
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2010, 04:40 PM   #7
Area.3.Fiftyone
1996 ZJ 

Considering the YJ uses the exact same column as the S10, it's pretty much a no brainer.

It has already been well documented all over the internet, but thanks for sharing for those that didn't already know.

Unread 06-22-2010, 04:45 PM   #8
Leans93
She's my density...

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamrock84 View Post
just an update for people who may find this thread looking for help with a steering column swap. Aftermarket columns are upwards of 300 bills and a used column with the same amenities is a lot too. I was replacing a manual column with tilt and multi speed wipers. found a chev s-10 column, which were also made by saginaw, and while the steering shaft was about an inch too short i was able to let it out of the slip joint and still had enough overlap for safety. all else bolted up correctly after i switched the floorboard mounts from my original to the new one. wiring was simple and they utilized the same plugs for ignition and even wipers. While i lucked out my friend did this same swap and had to splice wiper wires as his column only had slow and fast speeds and the plugs didnt line up. Anyway the s10 column swap is a great solution for those with beat up yj columns or those seeking to upgrade older models without tilt, even cj's.
peace
So from what you are saying you did not end up having to cut and weld the shafts? Also do you have any pictures? And yes the followup is great! How much did you end up paying for the S10 column? What year column? Thanks

93' YJ 4.0L AX-15, 4" Pro Comp lift, 3/4" shackles, 1" BL, 33x12.5x15 BGF MT's, and some other stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jones
Catch me on the highway or about to tear the mall up.
Leans93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2010, 04:53 PM   #9
Area.3.Fiftyone
1996 ZJ 

Any mid 80's S10 column will work.

It's plug and play and a direct swap. Jeep used the same column in all YJ's as I said previously.

Just make sure your wiper motor is compatible with the switch on the S10 column.

IE: If the S10 column has an intermittent wiper switch, then your wiper motor needs to be compatible. IIRC it will either be a 3 or 4 wire motor. The 4 wire is setup for intermittent I believe.
Unread 06-22-2010, 06:28 PM   #10
Shamrock84
1988 YJ Wrangler 

need to swap the toe plates and change the carrier bearing from the yj column to the s10 column, the steering shaft is too short on the s10 (by about 1"-1.5") and must be separated and extended at the slip joint (the overlapped joint in place to allow the shaft to shorten in the event of a crash...rather than impale u) I was able to slide the new s10's out with relative ease but others i have done need soaking in pb blaster, it just depends on condition of donor vehicle. i got the whole column for 60 bucks from some ebay auto recycler. it was almost mint. think it was a 93 column but not sure, will try to find out. and fyi if it is well documented on the internet i never found much more than people who knew people who performed the swap. at the time of it i searched to no avail and also found many different opinions of what was required. ill throw up some pics soon
Unread 06-22-2010, 08:35 PM   #11
Area.3.Fiftyone
1996 ZJ 

Here is one from 2005:

Yj steering column swaps? [Archive] - Pirate4x4.Com Bulletin Board

I thought that the swap was pretty well known. Apparently not around here.

If you were in the junk yards as much as I am, you could clearly see that the S10 and YJ columns are identical. Jeep has been using parts from other auto manufactures since the beginning.
Unread 07-15-2010, 12:23 AM   #12
Shamrock84
1988 YJ Wrangler 

couple pics of early to mid 90's chev / gmc s10 p/u or blazer steering column in 88 yj. retained tilt, manual key eject, jeep steering wheel, and ignition. ignition wiring was plug and play, while wipers and blinkers were close. after trying to follow wires and power various leads i was able to get slow/fast and spray to function but not intermittent. also when the left directional is activated the left high beam flashes with the first turn signal flash...not sure what the deal with that is and will be trying to track it down soon as i need to get it inspected by the jersey inspection nazis lol.
first pic is original toe plate from yj bolted directly to nuts on s10 column. toe plate bolted back into floor with no issues.
second pic is a dark pic of upper universal which is a direct match up with the shaft from the s10 column.
will take better/more pics soon.
0705002117c.jpg   0705002117b.jpg  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.