YJ steering box upgrade? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > YJ steering box upgrade?

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 04-27-2013, 06:03 AM   #1
JeepRocks86
Some Call me RockDog

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Going to look at a YJ this Sunday. He said the box is leaking and has a spare for it. I figured that if its going to be replaced is there a junk yard upgrade? Ie Durango box on TJs?

YJ specs TBI 350 Turbo 350 Dana 300 welded 12 bolt rear 44 front lock right. Comes with a 14b he already sold the Chevy 60 front. 5
36tsls on bead locks eventual plans would probably be tons and military 37s since I already have 16.5 8 lug wheels and drive it.

My TJ Build Thread.
www.kifourwheelers.com
For Sale:
TJ Rear Dana 44 shaftsfor sale
3 11"& 2 13" BBCS shocks

JeepRocks86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2013, 06:11 AM   #2
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I'd heard the Durango box makes for easier turning but I have also heard that you lose some turning radius. That's what I've heard but I have not done the swap so I think it's best someone who has tell you their experience. I've gone back and forth with swapping out mine for a Durango box.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2013, 08:19 AM   #3
skyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I'm curious of this as well mine recently started to get loose. I tightened it up a bit and its still getting loose. I have already lost a bit of turning radius from the ranger pitman arm so I don't want to to lose more. Sorry to hijack OP. I have noticed Jk boxes are becoming popular, but don't know if its an upgrade
( they require lots fab'n to fit).
Unread 04-27-2013, 02:37 PM   #4
PA_YJ19
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Durango box works fine for me, no noticeable loss in turning radius. The box itself is larger so it sits mayb a 1/4 farther to the right, by further I mean the pitman arm location is farther right from the frame than the stock box. What a did after I centered my wheel and tested my turning lock to lock was lengthen the draglink slightly to give me that 1/4 inch back I lost. This makes the wheel look slightly cocked to the right but I get full turn lock to lock no problem and it still drives straight as an arrow, the Durango box is much easier to turn with my larger tires than the stock box and it jumps back quicker in sticky situations. I tried boxes off of xjs, Dakota's, astro, and another yj on before deciding on the Durango one. None of the other ones turned the larger tires offroad worth a darn when I'm locked front and rear. My pump will whine a little when locked in 4lo in a tight turn but no complaints from the Durango box. If nething now I would like to find a larger PS pump that would fit. PSC makes one but I'm not paying an arm and a leg for a dang ps pump. I'm gona find one that fits from a JY eventually and is larger.
PA_YJ19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2013, 02:42 PM   #5
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

When you find it, let me know. Boring it out a little is supposed to work but I haven't tried it yet.

http://www.virtualjeepclub.com/showt...-Assist/page2&
Unread 04-27-2013, 03:57 PM   #6
JeepRocks86
Some Call me RockDog

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Durango box a direct replacement ?
My TJ Build Thread.
www.kifourwheelers.com
For Sale:
3 11"& 2 13" BBCS shocks

Unread 04-27-2013, 03:58 PM   #7
PA_YJ19
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman
When you find it, let me know. Boring it out a little is supposed to work but I haven't tried it yet.

http://www.virtualjeepclub.com/showt...-Assist/page2&
Hmm never saw or heard of that before, doesn't look to difficult but looks like a lot of mess for not much result. I like the idea of boring out my stock one but I'm not sure I'd feel real confident on the street after all of that. There has to b a v8 Chevy out there with a bigger pump and similar mounting location. I think I could rig one to the stock bracket as long as it isn't majorly bigger than the stock one. I'll make a trip to the JY this week and start looking, I would tmrrw but I have to work in the morning.
Unread 04-27-2013, 03:59 PM   #8
PA_YJ19
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepRocks86
Durango box a direct replacement ?
Yes it is, it uses one less bolt on the frame tho. I use a steering brace I built similar to the MORE one, I had no issues with it moving before I built the brace tho.
Unread 04-27-2013, 05:03 PM   #9
USMCBuckWild
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA_YJ19 View Post
Hmm never saw or heard of that before, doesn't look to difficult but looks like a lot of mess for not much result. I like the idea of boring out my stock one but I'm not sure I'd feel real confident on the street after all of that. There has to b a v8 Chevy out there with a bigger pump and similar mounting location. I think I could rig one to the stock bracket as long as it isn't majorly bigger than the stock one. I'll make a trip to the JY this week and start looking, I would tmrrw but I have to work in the morning.
I found several of the Chevy and Ford P/S pumps that are high output, typically used on large vehicles. I had to locate one in prep for my Hydroboost swap. Pirate has a couple of write-ups on what vehicles to look for those pumps in.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/chevy...pump-info.html

I lucked out and got one from the junkyard that is in perfect working condition. The pump itself should be able to be mounted into the pump housing.
Unread 04-27-2013, 05:14 PM   #10
JeepRocks86
Some Call me RockDog

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Well the YJ I'm looking at has a Chevy v8 out of a k5 blazer I believe so maybe it has the better pump.
My TJ Build Thread.
www.kifourwheelers.com
For Sale:
3 11"& 2 13" BBCS shocks

Unread 04-27-2013, 05:26 PM   #11
USMCBuckWild
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepRocks86 View Post
Well the YJ I'm looking at has a Chevy v8 out of a k5 blazer I believe so maybe it has the better pump.
More than likely it doesn't. You need to physically remove the pump from the housing and look at the back of it to clarify if it is a HO pump or not. It took quite a bit of searching to score one. Check the parts stores, I found one at the parts store as well, but wasn't spending that much and returned it.
Unread 04-27-2013, 08:09 PM   #12
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I am using the Durango box.
Yes it is a direct replacement.
Yes you only use 3 of the bolts.
Yes it turns my tires great offroad.
Yes I did loose some turning radius.
Unread 04-28-2013, 08:11 AM   #13
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSEJEEPERS View Post
I am using the Durango box.
Yes it is a direct replacement.
Yes you only use 3 of the bolts.
Yes it turns my tires great offroad.
Yes I did loose some turning radius.
Though a bolt in, use all 4 bolts that hold on the original Jeep frame adapter bracket, not just the three that hold the gearbox on. This adds a lot of strength, keeps the mount from stressing the frame metal.

Yes you loose turning radius, those that say they have not just have not noticed, or they already had the turning adjuster bolts adjusted lower for wheels or something. You can swap in a pitman from a Grand Chero, which is 3/4" longer hole to hole. You have to cut a couple splines in the new pitman though, I used a hacksaw, so it slips onto the Durango shaft in the proper orientation. I concur that a brace to the other side is a good idea, especially with the differences in the frame mount.
Unread 06-03-2013, 08:52 AM   #14
JeepRocks86
Some Call me RockDog

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Ended up getting another YJ. 95 fuel injected 302 8.8 arbs 35s etc. went wheeling and Got it back on the trailer and had a nice few drops on the trailer deck from the seal leaking. I guess it's one for an upgrade.
My TJ Build Thread.
www.kifourwheelers.com
For Sale:
3 11"& 2 13" BBCS shocks

Unread 06-03-2013, 10:04 AM   #15
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeperDon View Post
You can swap in a pitman from a Grand Chero, which is 3/4" longer hole to hole.
What's the overall distance from hole to hole?

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.