yj steering - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > yj steering

Bilstein Shock Upgrade Kits, Jeep JK TJ XJ Wranglers and CStainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 05-23-2013, 04:54 PM   #1
chuck172
1993 YJ Wrangler 

yj steering

"The wrangler has a short wheelbase, they all wander a bit, that's normal".
That's what a front end mechanic told me today.
I think he's right. After replacing just about everything on the front-end of my jeep, the steering still isn't great. Don't get me wrong, I'm used to it, I can tolerate it. I think I just want it to be perfect, and I don't think thats possible.
I don't get great returnability like I do in my f-150. The wrangler wanders a bit unlike my jeep liberty.
Should I just accept the fact that it's a jeep thing? Have any others come to this same conclusion?

chuck172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2013, 06:29 PM   #2
jokerchief462
Wild Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Is it lifted??? Could be the issue and you can only adjust the toe unless you got fancy ball joints. If you have someone at the steering wheel and they wiggle left and right crawl under and look at the tie rod ends and see if they are rolling a bit before they move and that will be your wander. If it is lifted did you install a drop pitman arm??? All things to consider and a Jeep is no comparison to a F-150. Mine is nothing like my F-150 in steering braking or performance. I love em both for their own distinct qualities.

AF Jeep Club Tail #184
jokerchief462 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2013, 06:43 PM   #3
chuck172
1993 YJ Wrangler 

No it's not lifted. Totally stock. Stock tires too. Everything up front is tight or replaced. What you say about comparing the jeep to the 150 is my point. No comparison to me. I wonder if the newer wranglers have better steering properties do to their longer wheelbase. What I'm getting at, is somewhat loose-wandering steering the norm with these yj's.?
Unread 05-23-2013, 07:23 PM   #4
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Did you have it aligned?

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2013, 07:49 PM   #5
flashy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Did you do the steering box adjustment. That helped mine a lot. Go to a car lot and test drive another one or a friend.

94 YJ slightly modified

00 WJ stock
flashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2013, 01:32 AM   #6
fratis

1991 YJ Wrangler 

no its not normal.
Unread 05-24-2013, 03:54 AM   #7
chuck172
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Toe is right on, caster and camber are fixed, can't be adjusted without shims, really no need to adjust caster unless the jeep is lifted. I'm on my third new (remanufactored) steering box.
This is the best tutorial on jeep steering I've seen:
http://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/f99/tr...steering-4106/
It's for cj's but still applies.
Unread 05-24-2013, 05:01 AM   #8
fantomas
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck172 View Post
I'm on my third new (remanufactored) steering box.
I need to replace my steering box soon. When you say you're on your third, is it because they're garbage? or is this over a longer timeline and they've been rightfully abused? Also, are you going with the reman'd YJ box or reman'd Durango/Dakota steering box?
fantomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2013, 05:21 AM   #9
chuck172
1993 YJ Wrangler 

The steering boxes I bought were remanufactored. I bought them from advance auto. The first was the wrong one. Three mounting bolts vs. four. The second had too much slop in it. The third is the most expensive rock climber. Not too happy with this one either. I haven't tried the dakota steering box swap. I don't want to mix and match then worry about things working properly.
Unread 05-24-2013, 11:49 AM   #10
peejpeej
1991 YJ Wrangler 

No it's not normal. Mine wandered from one side of the lane to the other. 1991 with 145K miles. Replaced ball joints, no noticeable difference. Replaced steering gear box with same type removed. Before lowering back down off of jack stands, I moved the left front tire from side to side and discovered the lower universal joint in the intermediate steering shaft had slop in it. Order a new one and installed. My jeep now steers as tight as any new car that I have driven off the car lot. I have owed 4 Jeeps, and none of them have ever been this good. It really drives like a new vehicle and is a pleasure. I have a 4" lift, dropped pitman arm, and 33 tires also.
peejpeej is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2013, 02:54 PM   #11
chuck172
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I wish I could share your experience peejpeej. I replaced my intermediate shaft and did notice some improvement too. I just can't say my jeep is "as tight as any new car that I have driven off the car lot". Everything I have done has improved the Jeep. It's just not where I want it yet.
Unread 05-24-2013, 05:52 PM   #12
codefiant
1988 YJ Wrangler 

My stock YJ steered amazingly well back in 1988 when I bought it. 25 years later (+ 150K miles, a 4" lift, V8, and a bunch of other mods) it now steers like crap. I'm going after the linkages first, then the ball joints, and then finally the steering box.
Unread 05-24-2013, 06:08 PM   #13
dtn8tr
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Mine steered fine with my stock axles and the 31s that I put on it. Then I upgraded to 33s and it still steered fine...I could take my hand off the wheel on the highway and stayed as true as my WJ. Then I swapped axles so that I could have 4.10s with the bigger tires and have been fighting with it ever since. Had an alignment done...they adjusted to 0 toe in. It got better when I re-adjusted to 1/16-1/8 toe in. They said ball joints, bearings and tie rod ends were all good. Going to replace intermediate shaft and have a durango box sitting in the garage.

Most good stories start out "Y'all ain't gonna believe this ****...."
dtn8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2013, 05:27 AM   #14
chuck172
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I replaced the steering box again with a fenco. Didn't have much luck with Lares. Steering improved. I also replaced both tie-rod ends on the drag link with moogs. Again slight improvement. Learning not to go cheap with advance auto parts. Get Moogs. I can pick up the moogs at rockauto for about the same price as advance auto's cheap tie-rod ends.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.