yj stalling issues....still - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > yj stalling issues....still

Bill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 09-01-2011, 10:13 PM   #1
sacrifice
1989 YJ Wrangler 

yj stalling issues....still

alright well I just spent $600 getting my jeep running after shutting down on the highway. I hate to say it but I payed someone to do it because of school and work. long story short...

jeep stalls on me once and a while, but tonight was bad. stalling every couple seconds/minutes. very frustrating after spending so much money.

new starter
new battery
new icm

running weber carb, not nuttered.

the stalling is like someone turning off the ignition.

could a bad ecm or ignition switch be my problem?

sacrifice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2011, 10:27 PM   #2
jeep108
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Why have you not nuttered if your running an aftermarket carb?

Eph 6:13 -Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground,

[QUOTE=Opihi59;14523519]Welcome to the forum.
If you are a mechanical neophyte and have to repetitively intone the mantra of "lefty loosey," are a mouth breather and only own a hammer, it will be more of a challenge. [/QUOTE]
jeep108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2011, 10:49 PM   #3
dancytron
1990 YJ Wrangler 

When it turns off, do all the lights, radio etc go off too, like there is no power at all, or does the engine just cut out?
dancytron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2011, 11:04 PM   #4
sacrifice
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I have not nuttered yet due to having issues passing emmissions. the stock emmissions stuff was just enough to get me to pass.

all lights and accessorys stay on. just engine cut
Unread 09-01-2011, 11:25 PM   #5
dancytron
1990 YJ Wrangler 

ICM, coil, distributor, or bad ground for ICM/Distributor. ICM should still be under warranty?

If it was a bad main ground, everything would go off. If it was the ignition switch, at least the radio would go off.

I hope you didn't pay $600 for just those 3 things.
Unread 09-02-2011, 05:04 AM   #6
jeep108
1990 YJ Wrangler 

How long have you been running the weber with out problems?
If you havent nuttered it the computer is still trying to control timing among other things. A far as emissions, IIRC, many of the vac switches are relying on input from the computer which again is wanting to talk to the carter carb that is no longer there. The pulse air system still operates after the nutter and can still be used if you've modified the oem air cleaner to fit the weber or an after market air cleaner to fit the pulse air tubes.

When you say it stalls every couple of seconds that sounds more like cutting out or a miss which definitely be a timing issue, or do you mean stall as in you have to restart the jeep every time?

Eph 6:13 -Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground,

[QUOTE=Opihi59;14523519]Welcome to the forum.
If you are a mechanical neophyte and have to repetitively intone the mantra of "lefty loosey," are a mouth breather and only own a hammer, it will be more of a challenge. [/QUOTE]
jeep108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2011, 05:59 AM   #7
sacrifice
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I've had this problem since I bought the jeep. its more of an electrical shutoff rather than a fuel delivery problem. timing is dead and even got a brand new timing set. could my ignition switch just be old and worn out? it doesn't seem to like water/humidity
Unread 09-02-2011, 06:12 PM   #8
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

If you are running a different carb the ECM isn't doing what is was designed to anymore and neither is the stock emissions stuff.

It's possible the ignition switch could be bad, not the key switch but the actual ignition switch behind the dash on top of the column.

How are your battery cables? Those are known to go bad with corrosion and breaks inside the insulation.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2011, 06:43 PM   #9
dancytron
1990 YJ Wrangler 

He said his accessories didn't go off. If it was the ignition switch, the things that don't run with the ignition switch off (radio, lighter, windshield wipers) would go off when it died. If it was the battery cables, everything would go off or at least flicker.
Unread 09-02-2011, 07:22 PM   #10
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

It could be any one of over a hundred things, and possibly a combination of more than one fault.

You will likely go broke before finding the problem by paying someone to throw new parts at the problem.

You can fix it if you do a systematic diagnosis of the problem. The factory service manuals have encouraged this approach since the 70s with their flow chart diagnosis chapters.

Every part on the jeep can be inspected and checked for proper function. It takes time, but you know it will be fixed when done this way.

The weber adds another layer of confusion. It may have been installed to try to fix an unrelated problem.

Re your timing chain: How many degrees of slack did the old one have when replaced?
Unread 09-02-2011, 07:54 PM   #11
dancytron
1990 YJ Wrangler 

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ig...hread-1246195/
Unread 09-06-2011, 10:43 AM   #12
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Did you just get it back from the repair shop? I would take it back and let them do what you paid them to do. thats a lot of money. Are you still having the issue?
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.