YJ stalled while idling, wont start back up - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > YJ stalled while idling, wont start back up

Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 05-21-2013, 11:34 PM   #1
darkatom
1989 YJ Wrangler 

YJ stalled while idling, wont start back up

Hello Everyone, I just bought an 89 yj with over 200k miles but rebuilt engine 30k ago.

She wasnt running the week before so I had I replaced the fuel filter and and checked that the fuel pump was working fine. I had disconnected the fuel line from the fuel filter and checked the pump with an empty bottle at the end. The bottle filled quickly with fuel but she started when I had the fuel filter disconected, which I thought was weird. I thought it was my lucky day and off i went (after I put the fuel filter back on).

But 2-3 starts later I was idling outside the grocery store (She was always idling low around 600 rpms btw) waiting for my girlfriend when it stalled. I tried giving her a little gas to prevent the stall, but the engine died. I pushed her home and only get "clicks" when I try to start her.

I tried to jump it, to no avail. I'm checking the battery tomorrow morning, but from the looks of it, it's the newest thing under the hood. What should i try next?

I'm new to working on cars myself, but am really looking forward to learning and getting dirty. I have the Haynes manual, but wanted to suppliment it with some actual feedback.

darkatom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2013, 11:38 PM   #2
darkatom
1989 YJ Wrangler 

YJ stalled while idling, wont start back up

Hello Everyone, I just bought an 89 yj with over 200k miles but rebuilt engine 30k ago.

She wasnt running the week before so I had I replaced the fuel filter and and checked that the fuel pump was working fine. I had disconnected the fuel line from the fuel filter and checked the pump with an empty bottle at the end. The bottle filled quickly with fuel but she started when I had the fuel filter disconected, which I thought was weird. I thought it was my lucky day and off i went (after I put the fuel filter back on).

But 2-3 starts later I was idling outside the grocery store (She was always idling low around 600 rpms btw) waiting for my girlfriend when it stalled. I tried giving her a little gas to prevent the stall, but the engine died. I pushed her home and only get "clicks" when I try to start her.

I tried to jump it, to no avail. I'm checking the battery tomorrow morning, but from the looks of it, it's the newest thing under the hood. What should i try next?

I'm new to working on cars myself, but am really looking forward to learning and getting dirty. I have the Haynes manual, but wanted to suppliment it with some actual feedback.

Thanks for any help!
Unread 05-22-2013, 02:41 AM   #3
billybooster2
1983 CJ8 

First check battery, if good (meaning it can hold cranking amps for 10 seconds) then move on to wiring / grounds. Clicks mean bad battery connection (or strength) between the switch (key), the battery posts and the starter solenoid which is either on your firewall or directly on top of your starter. All have to be GOOD connections to send the current to the starter

If you have the 4.2 and a carb, check out the most-wise JEEPHAMMER threads here about grounds and wiring. It will apply specifically to you. If you are 4.0 or 2.5, then it still applies, just slightly more generically.

IF the wires are good, it's a known good battery, then it points at the starter solenoid or motor.

If wires and or battery are bad, deal with those by repair or replace.

Next culprit if battery, wiring, and starter are dealt with is alternator - is it charging. Many auto shops will test it for you out the vehicle by spinning it up seeing voltage output.

Hope that helps trouble shoot the beginning!
billybooster2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-27-2013, 04:09 PM   #4
darkatom
1989 YJ Wrangler 

thanks billy for the info. I checked the battery first and found out that my battery had a dead cell so I replaced it, however I still cant get her going. I tested the volts going to the solenoid and it read 10, and thats with a brand new battery. Is that enough? Is it the wiring that needs to be looked at? Also there is a Hornet anti-theft system previously installed on it that has been acting up. Could that system possibly be preventing the engine from firing? I know some systems prevent the engine from firing.
Unread 05-27-2013, 04:50 PM   #5
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

Rip that anti-theft system out unless you are the one that installed it and can service and adjust it.

10V to the solenoid indicates bad battery cables and/or bad connection to the battery. Battery cables do wear out. They can look good on the outside, but develop internal resistance from corrosion. If you can't get full battery voltage to the solenoid and starter , start replacing cables.
Unread 05-27-2013, 11:12 PM   #6
billybooster2
1983 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old4X
Rip that anti-theft system out unless you are the one that installed it and can service and adjust it.

10V to the solenoid indicates bad battery cables and/or bad connection to the battery. Battery cables do wear out. They can look good on the outside, but develop internal resistance from corrosion. If you can't get full battery voltage to the solenoid and starter , start replacing cables.
X2 on cables. A freshu new battery should be 12.x on a voltmeter. It should be same at the post it connects to/from battery. 10v is either an old battery. A used battery. Or bad cables. Cables include ground. The black one .

So check voltage of battery itself. If it reads 12.xx then the cables are bad. If it reads same as your solenoid reading, then take it back. Its been used. Get them to charge and test it. Unless you have a tester and charger to do that b4 u take it back.

Then with a good 12.xx at the solenoid try again. Let us know how u get on
billybooster2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-14-2013, 03:09 PM   #7
darkatom
1989 YJ Wrangler 

got her going thanks guys

Tags
idle issue , no start , stall , stall issue , starter issue , YJ

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.