yj sputters while driving... idles fine... only happens when at operating temp - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > yj sputters while driving... idles fine... only happens when at operating temp

SYE Kits from CCOR! 706-207-4140*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*Even Better Heim Pricing! From Ruffstuff

Unread 07-22-2013, 05:09 PM   #1
mdoddroe

yj sputters while driving... idles fine... only happens when at operating temp

Specs
95 Jeep yj rio grande
2.5L 4cyl
80K miles
Auto Trans

Jeep sputters when driving... Occurs mostly at cruising speeds 40-65 mph but after engine is warm it occurs at all speeds. Doesn't occur in neutral, just when i'm giving it gas. Doesn't happen when engine is cold, so when I first get up it drives fine. This only occurs when engine is warm and it's intermittent. No codes at all other than defaults. Feels like it's not getting a constant stream of gas and it loses power going uphill.

What I've already replaced:
O2 sensor
Spark plugs
Coolant temp sensor
Fuel filter

Any suggestions?

I have a hint it's the fuel pump but just wanted to change out these cheap ones first

mdoddroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2013, 05:35 PM   #2
bigbossd1030
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdoddroe
Specs
95 Jeep yj rio grande
2.5L 4cyl
80K miles
Auto Trans

Jeep sputters when driving... Occurs mostly at cruising speeds 40-65 mph but after engine is warm it occurs at all speeds. Doesn't occur in neutral, just when i'm giving it gas. Doesn't happen when engine is cold, so when I first get up it drives fine. This only occurs when engine is warm and it's intermittent. No codes at all other than defaults. Feels like it's not getting a constant stream of gas and it loses power going uphill.

O2 sensor
Spark plugs
Coolant temp sensor
Fuel filter

Any suggestions?

I have a hint it's the fuel pump but just wanted to change out these cheap ones first
TPS? Mine would do something similar, didn't need a hill to loose the power on though. I found if I shut it off then back on it would be fine for about another 20 mins, but would happen again. The cel didn't come on for this for a good week or so. Then it came on so I ran the codes, got a 24 iirc. I am thinking that if it was the fuel pump, wouldn't it do it all the time, like regardless of temp???

Sent from my iPhone, probably because I am bored at work.
[COLOR="Blue"]OFFICIAL JEEPER[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]Any Jeepers in Edmonton, AB
I am on channel 33.[/COLOR]
I live, I ride, I am JEEP.
bigbossd1030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2013, 07:20 PM   #3
clush
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Mine had similar symptoms and a new fuel pump fixed it
clush is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2013, 07:24 PM   #4
mdoddroe

Yea that's what i'm leaving toward. I'm going to get the pressure tested in the fuel lines then ill go from there. Got a sending unit and pump for $140.
mdoddroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2013, 09:40 PM   #5
zombiechief
1990 YJ Wrangler 

A dirty fuel filter will do that too. At idle it doesn't have the fuel demand like it does under a load so it would get enough thru the filter. As soon as you're on the gas, the filter can't keep up so it starts to cut out. I'd change that first since it's only about 10 bux vs 140.
Unread 07-23-2013, 05:21 AM   #6
vadslram
1990 YJ Wrangler 

sputters is kind of vague. It could be misfiring from ignition crossfire. Warmed up and under a little load crossfire would feel like a stutter.
Other than that I have no help.
vadslram is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2013, 02:14 PM   #7
ladderslug
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdoddroe View Post
Specs
95 Jeep yj rio grande
2.5L 4cyl
80K miles
Auto Trans

O2 sensor
Spark plugs
Coolant temp sensor
Fuel filter

Any suggestions?

I have the same problem. I have changed the alternator, fuel filter, 02 sensor, and the person I bought it from changed the fuel filter but it whines load as a power steering pump that is low on fluid.

Mine also will not do it when not at temp. A mechanic friend said to take off the disconnect on my cables and clean them off to look like new, drive it to make sure no electrical deveations and if still does it replace the fuel pump and fuel filter ( even though I just replaced it), he also said to replace the sending unit for the gauge, mine is a 1/4 tank off.
ladderslug is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2013, 02:23 PM   #8
ladderslug
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdoddroe View Post
Specs
95 Jeep yj rio grande
2.5L 4cyl
80K miles
Auto Trans

O2 sensor
Spark plugs
Coolant temp sensor
Fuel filter

Any suggestions?

I have the same problem. I have changed the alternator, fuel filter, 02 sensor, and the person I bought it from changed the fuel filter but it whines load as a power steering pump that is low on fluid.

Mine also will not do it when not at temp. A mechanic friend said to take off the disconnect on my cables and clean them off to look like new, drive it to make sure no electrical deveations and if still does it replace the fuel pump and fuel filter ( even though I just replaced it), he also said to replace the sending unit for the gauge, mine is a 1/4 tank off.
Unread 07-23-2013, 02:34 PM   #9
ladderslug
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbossd1030 View Post
TPS? Mine would do something similar, didn't need a hill to loose the power on though. I found if I shut it off then back on it would be fine for about another 20 mins, but would happen again. The cel didn't come on for this for a good week or so. Then it came on so I ran the codes, got a 24 iirc. I am thinking that if it was the fuel pump, wouldn't it do it all the time, like regardless of temp???

I was told the fuel pump will heat up and can change and loose presure
Unread 07-23-2013, 03:21 PM   #10
bigbossd1030
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladderslug

Ah that makes some sense.

[COLOR="Blue"]OFFICIAL JEEPER[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]Any Jeepers in Edmonton, AB
I am on channel 33.[/COLOR]
I live, I ride, I am JEEP.
bigbossd1030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2013, 03:31 PM   #11
g_oneill
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I have the occasional what my wife calls "putt-putt". Loss of power at different speeds on my 2.5. The problem goes away when I wiggle the wire on the 3rd injector. The problem was worst when I was driving long distances for a few hours straight and all the vibration that come along with 70 MPH. It came back a few times until I cleaned all the connections. That was one of the best cheapest fixes I ever did. Can't hurt to clean those connections. It has not come back all summer long, fingers crossed.
g_oneill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2013, 09:34 PM   #12
slamb
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I had a similar problem on my '91 4.0. It was a bad catalytic converter. Once I replaced that, now runs like new.
slamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2013, 05:26 AM   #13
vadslram
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladderslug View Post
Isn't it an electric pump? they are cooled by the fuel flowing through them.
vadslram is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2013, 07:10 AM   #14
clush
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Electrical parts tend to break down when they get hot if they are going bad. Pumps coils or whatever it may be
clush is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2013, 02:21 PM   #15
FiremanDrew
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I just recently purchased my jeep and I was having the same problem. It turned out to be the fuel pump. I recommend replacing it.
FiremanDrew is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.