yj sputtering.. again! - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 Old 05-14-2011, 02:46 PM Thread Starter
stcarter44
1995 YJ Wrangler 

yj sputtering.. again!

i posted earlier about my yj sputtering its a 4 banger 4 inch lift 33 inch mud king tires. it was sputtering before and i ended up doing a new fuel pump a fuel regulator, fuel filter, plugs cap router and the tps and when i did that it stopped sputtering. untill about 3 days ago and its back again. it only sputters in 3rd 4th and 5th gear and not as much in 5th. its pretty bad in 4th gear it only sputters when i step on the gas. as soon as i take my foot off the gas it stops.. any ideas?

also it only happened once but when i started the car in a parking lot the rpms were kinda high around 1200 rpms but when i turned it off and turned it back on they were normal

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 05-15-2011, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
stcarter44
1995 YJ Wrangler 

anyone??!?!?!?!?
post #3 of 21 Old 05-16-2011, 10:33 AM
jaxtell
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Mine as doing that and I had a vacuum leak on the vacuum line to the fuel pressure regulator, dry rot.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 21 Old 05-16-2011, 02:29 PM
Tblair23221
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Might try removing and cleaning the throttle body and IAC. Just takes a few mins and 5 bucks for cleaner and a new gasket. Sounds like you already have checked the fuel pressure but if not it might be worth it.
post #5 of 21 Old 05-17-2011, 08:30 AM Thread Starter
stcarter44
1995 YJ Wrangler 

i have checked fuel pressure. before doing the pump and regulator i had bad pressure at around 22 psi's. when i did it i went up to about 27 28 psi's wich is still not what i heard was normal. i heard around 31 was normal. it really only sputters when is been driving for like 10 minutes. if it has been sitting for a a while like over night or while im at work or at school and i go to drive it it runs fine for the first 10 minuites or so but than it starts to sputter

i will look into a vaccum line though
post #6 of 21 Old 05-17-2011, 11:26 AM
Buddha
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah, pull that vacuum line off the fuel pressure regulator and the fuel pressure at the rail should go up 8 psi or so. If it doesn't you have a vacuum leak somewhere.

Assuming you didn't do all the things listed in your original post at the same time, what was the last thing you did? If it was the TPS, I have read on here where those can be bad right out of the box. The fact that the sputtering stops when you let off the gas could point to the TPS... It's easy to change out so it might be worth taking it back and trying another one.

Keep us posted.

I have read hundreds, if not thousands, of threads on here and it's amazing the percentage of problems that wind up being caused by something the owner has accidentally done to the Jeep while working on it.

Moral to the story: If you moved it, unscrewed it, unbolted it, hammered on it, wiped it off, re-wired or replaced it - Check there first!
post #7 of 21 Old 05-17-2011, 02:31 PM
RockShoxTora
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Seafoam. Mine did the exact same thing.
Before I decided to invest in any parts, I just bought some seafoam. Poured half the bottle through the air intake and the rest in the gas tank. Problem solved.
It's worth a shot and it's pretty cheap.

1995 YJ
-3.5" Black Diamond Suspension Lift, Skyjacker Hydro 7000s
-1.25" Body Lift
-Trail-Gear Bumper and Tire Swing-Out
-31" BFG M/Ts KM
Square Headlights Member #751
post #8 of 21 Old 05-17-2011, 02:38 PM
Andywear
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockShoxTora View Post
Seafoam. Mine did the exact same thing.
Before I decided to invest in any parts, I just bought some seafoam. Poured half the bottle through the air intake and the rest in the gas tank. Problem solved.
It's worth a shot and it's pretty cheap.
Air intake? Whoa!

Used to have a good sig but Mod threated to ban me...

Errrrrrr, Will complain else where - &y
post #9 of 21 Old 05-17-2011, 03:15 PM
bigbossd1030
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andywear View Post
Air intake? Whoa!
Why in the hell did you put it in the dai intake?!

Correct me if Im wrong but I just did mine three days ago and I kinda remember the bottle saying gas tank, Crankcase and brake booster line.

I don't remember anything about the air intake being an option.

/l ,[____],
l----L-[]lllllll[]-
()_)-()_)--o)_)

OFFICIAL JEEPER
Any Jeepers in Edmonton, AB
I am on channel 33.

I live, I ride, I am JEEP.
post #10 of 21 Old 05-17-2011, 06:52 PM Thread Starter
stcarter44
1995 YJ Wrangler 

just wondering what the IAC is? and the vaccum lines didnt look bad just looking at them i will try disconnecting them tmr.. and what exactly is seafoam ive never heard of that
post #11 of 21 Old 05-17-2011, 06:53 PM Thread Starter
stcarter44
1995 YJ Wrangler 

anyone think it could be a bad temp sensor???
post #12 of 21 Old 05-17-2011, 07:05 PM
goAF
1992 YJ Wrangler 

air intake + sea foam must have been a typo. Sea foam scares me.
post #13 of 21 Old 05-17-2011, 07:51 PM
Buddha
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stcarter44
just wondering what the IAC is? and the vaccum lines didnt look bad just looking at them i will try disconnecting them tmr.. and what exactly is seafoam ive never heard of that
Idle air controller. Controls the amount of air your engine gets at idle

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum (and my thumbs)

I have read hundreds, if not thousands, of threads on here and it's amazing the percentage of problems that wind up being caused by something the owner has accidentally done to the Jeep while working on it.

Moral to the story: If you moved it, unscrewed it, unbolted it, hammered on it, wiped it off, re-wired or replaced it - Check there first!
post #14 of 21 Old 05-17-2011, 07:55 PM
Buddha
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by goAF
air intake + sea foam must have been a typo. Sea foam scares me.
SeaFoam is a very good gasoline additive that stabilizes fuel and cleans fuel systems. You can pour it into the air intake manifold with the engine running and it will help clean it. Having said that, cleaning the air intake manifold is easy to do and there are good write-ups on this site describing how it's done.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum (and my thumbs)

post #15 of 21 Old 05-17-2011, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
stcarter44
1995 YJ Wrangler 

where would i buy seafoam?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.