Yj sputtering - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Yj sputtering

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 10-16-2011, 06:04 PM   #1
josholson89
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Yj sputtering

So a few months ago I replaced the clutch, slave cylinder, spark plugs, dist cap and rotor, and plug wires. Ever since that I have been having a litle bit of sputtering that causes the engine to "knock" a little bit until I ease off the gas then its fine. I readjusted the gap in my plugs and that helped a little bit. It seems like there is either too much or too little fuel in the cylinder and thats what is causing the sputtering. I replaced the throttle positioning sensor and fuel filter and its still doing it. Also the check engine light came on but no one is able to read the code. Any help will be appreciated.
92 Yj 4.0 5 speed
3" lift
33x12.50 MT's

josholson89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-16-2011, 06:11 PM   #2
josholson89
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I am about to sell this YJ and I am just trying to work out this little sputtering so it will sell a little easier.
Unread 10-16-2011, 09:14 PM   #3
coleslaw
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Did you put platnum plugs in it? I put them in mine and it spit and sputtered. Put the AC plugs in and it purred like a kitten.

[COLOR="RoyalBlue"][I]A country that tries to spend itself to prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself by the handles.[/I][/COLOR]

[I]Winston Churchill[/I]

87 YJ I6, nuttered and rushed, 2.5" lift, 31x10.5, custom made f&r bumpers, Mojave heater, TJ flares, Superwinch S9000, hm swingout tire carrier, tool drawer, custom electical control, and more in the works...........
coleslaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-20-2011, 08:24 PM   #4
josholson89
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Well I gave that a shot and it kept sputtering. I have it in the shop right now for a diagnostic so once I find out what it was ill post it up here.
Unread 10-20-2011, 09:48 PM   #5
oldtime_ironman
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Strange that nobody could read the codes. It's pretty easy to do, no scanner required. Just use the key trick. Offhand guessing here because I don't know more about your problems. I'd bet on either the fuel pressure is marginal, or the O2 sensor. When does the suttering occur? Hot or cold? At a certain RPM? Idle or when you nail it?
oldtime_ironman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2011, 12:20 AM   #6
ptwhaler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

^ x2.. I spent over $300 replacing every sensor and filter I could along with new coil, plugs, wires etc. Learned how to do the key trick from this site and found out it was my ECM causing it to sputter over 2600rpm. Being running great since I replaced that.
ptwhaler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2011, 07:05 PM   #7
josholson89
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Well the shop said it was a faulty throttle position sensor which i replaced brand new a couple weeks ago because i thought it would fix the problem. apparently the part i got from schucks was bad.
Unread 10-21-2011, 09:45 PM   #8
josholson89
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I forgot how to do the key trick. Its been a long time since i've had to do it. How do you do it?
Unread 10-22-2011, 12:04 AM   #9
ptwhaler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

You just turn the key on and off, I think it's 3 times, leaving it on the 3rd time. Then you count the flashes of the CEL to get the codes. There are several good write ups on here with a list of what each code means. Probably in the FAQ's.
ptwhaler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2011, 03:10 AM   #10
oldtime_ironman
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by josholson89 View Post
I forgot how to do the key trick. Its been a long time since i've had to do it. How do you do it?
Here's a short vidoe of the key trick. It's one of the first things I do whenever something's acting up. Let us know what you find out! Also, you can clear all the codes and re-set the computer by simply disconnecting the battery for a few minutes. Basically re-boot it into a clean state. It's a good idea to do this after anythime you work on the engine. Chances are very good that you will see codes 12, 33, and 55 - this is normal. Hope that helps!
oldtime_ironman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-24-2011, 10:19 PM   #11
josholson89
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Well I got it back from the shop today. Turns out all it was was that TPS. The one I got from Orielly was defective but its got a new one in it now and its running very strong! thanks for all the help and hopefully someone else gets some use out of this and avoids the shop like i had to do.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.