YJ Sputter - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > YJ Sputter

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDisc Brake Kits from ECGS

Unread 04-01-2012, 04:58 PM   #1
janders82
2010 JK Wrangler 

YJ Sputter

i've been having problems with my YJ sputtering. I had another thread going because at first i thought thre may have been water in the fuel somehwere. That doesn't seem to be the case...

replaced the o2 sensor, plugs, wires, dist cap, there doesn't seem to be any water in the fuel, so we are onto a possible exhaust leak. If it's an exhaust leak, I haven't been able to find it -- needless to say, I'm lost.

What else could be causing my YJ to sputter? its fine at idle, revs up fine. Seems to do ok with less than half throtle, but when i hit the gas it bogs way down almost like it's not getting the needed fuel.

I seem to be great at fixing problems. Diagnosing them is another issue...i've had some great feedback when I thought it was water in my tanks, but need some fresh ideas.

Thanks guys!

janders82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2012, 04:59 PM   #2
rogerhill
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Fuel filter, injectors, air filter?
rogerhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2012, 05:00 PM   #3
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Check the fuel filter.

Your symtoms sound like the filter could be causing the issue.
Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2012, 05:03 PM   #4
janders82
2010 JK Wrangler 

should have mentioned that I replaced my fuel filter with everything else. My air filter seems clean. i cleaned the TB today. still sputtering
Unread 04-01-2012, 05:23 PM   #5
YJinAZ
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Have you considered your fuel pump? I just replaced mine (93 YJ) after several stall / no run episodes. Harder to check and troubleshoot but maybe the problem.

If you do go for a replacement, I recommend replacing the sender and pump and gasket. Also look at the 15 to 20 gallon mod elsewhere on the forum. I did it while my tank was out - took about 5 minutes total (with the tank out).
YJinAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2012, 05:56 PM   #6
janders82
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YJinAZ View Post
Have you considered your fuel pump? I just replaced mine (93 YJ) after several stall / no run episodes. Harder to check and troubleshoot but maybe the problem.

If you do go for a replacement, I recommend replacing the sender and pump and gasket. Also look at the 15 to 20 gallon mod elsewhere on the forum. I did it while my tank was out - took about 5 minutes total (with the tank out).
thanks. I seem to have good pressure in the lines -- when i release the pressure on the fuel line fule spits out even after sitting for a while. However, I don't have a pressure gauge, so I'm not positive.

I'm going to pick up a gauge tomorrow and check. Thanks again, i'm welcoming any and all ideas at this point
Unread 04-01-2012, 06:04 PM   #7
pete1991YJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by janders82 View Post
thanks. I seem to have good pressure in the lines -- when i release the pressure on the fuel line fule spits out even after sitting for a while. However, I don't have a pressure gauge, so I'm not positive.

I'm going to pick up a gauge tomorrow and check. Thanks again, i'm welcoming any and all ideas at this point
Please do get a gauge and let us know. Harbor freight has one cheap, ("fuel injection tester") or you could rent one at the parts store. You should have 31 PSI at idle, and 39 PSI if you unhook the vacuum line from the pressure regulator. I will bet your fuel pump is weak.
Unread 04-01-2012, 07:09 PM   #8
janders82
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete1991YJ View Post
Please do get a gauge and let us know. Harbor freight has one cheap, ("fuel injection tester") or you could rent one at the parts store. You should have 31 PSI at idle, and 39 PSI if you unhook the vacuum line from the pressure regulator. I will bet your fuel pump is weak.
i'll pick up a guage tomorrow and let you know...
Unread 04-02-2012, 06:36 AM   #9
janders82
2010 JK Wrangler 

one other thing i thought i'd mention. When the jeep bogs down, I do get what seems to be a very slight backfire. not sure if this will help diagnos or not
Unread 04-02-2012, 07:56 AM   #10
jrayzhunter
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by janders82 View Post
one other thing i thought i'd mention. When the jeep bogs down, I do get what seems to be a very slight backfire. not sure if this will help diagnos or not
I had the same exact problem with mine. Check on the front end of the bell housing and see if your inspection cover is missing. It will be quite obvious because You will be able to see your flywheel. If that's missing you will need to find another one via eBay or junk yard. It messes with your crankshaft position sender which also sits on top of that bell housing. Once I replaced the sensor and inspection cover never had a problem.

Here is what it looked like on my jeep

Unread 04-06-2012, 06:42 PM   #11
janders82
2010 JK Wrangler 

still having problems! Once the YJ gets up to temp, it wants to bog down and sputter. Typically the more gas I give it the more it bogs and sputters. Checked fuel pressure and its good.

I'm totally lost on trying to fix this thing...Could it be a bad CAT?

Also, noticed a pretty significant drop in oil pressure today. Usually hovers right around 40, but I'm looking more in the 20 and below range now. Could this have anything to do with it?
Unread 04-28-2013, 07:23 AM   #12
scottieboy
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Did you ever find the solution? Possibly the TPS?
scottieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2013, 08:01 AM   #13
taylor797
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I had the exact same symptoms, CEL all the time, sputter when anything over half throttle. I changed everything I could think of and nothing fixed it. Ended up being the TPS was unplugged by the PO (why? I have no idea). Plugged it back in and it runs like a totally different jeep.
taylor797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2013, 10:03 AM   #14
janders82
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottieboy
Did you ever find the solution? Possibly the TPS?
I replaced all sensors. Ended up being a cracked coil and crappy wires. Replaced the coil and went on a 500 mile road trip with no issues.

Also hate to say that the YJ has since been sold. Damn I miss that thing! Ended up buying a 4dr
295/70/17 Nitto Trail Grapplers
Unread 04-30-2013, 11:52 PM   #15
scottieboy
1991 YJ Wrangler 

That's a bummer man, I hate selling em lol I'm content with my current one. I've narrowed my issue to be a lack of an o2 sensor. Still have to put one in though to be sure.
scottieboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.