Yj spitting and sputtering with black soot - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 Old 02-17-2017, 08:44 AM Thread Starter
way2fastmike
1973 CJ5 

Yj spitting and sputtering with black soot

okay this going to be long but maybe someone can help. back in oct during the hurricane (Matthew) my daughter called me stranded beside the road, got there the jeep seemed to be out of fuel, would start right up but shut down. i put fuel in it and got it started, dont think it was out of gas, but was acting like it. got the jeep home running it in third gear keeping the rpm up. took it to a repair man. he keep it two weeks, replaced the intake gasket,replaced some vaccum lines he said was question. said it was leaking. also the valve cover gasket. said he checked out the fuel pump, regulator and no problem, had good pressure. said the tps was good also. called me to come get it as he cant fix it. didn't have a machine to run codes. picked it up and took home. run sea foam in the fuel.
no help. still act like it was starving for fuel. took to another repair shop. kept it a week. replaced battery, injector, and fuel pump, new plugs and the i.s.a. motor. helped a little but still not right. still sputtering a little and sometime wants to die and cut off at stop lights, now its using double the fuel it did before and im getting black soot out the back onto the ground. so i got it home and decided to change some parts my self. i installed new, air filter, M.A.P. SENSOR, C.P.S, T.P.S., I ALSO CHECKED OUT THE PCV and it is sucking good and when off i can hear the rattle in it so it seems to be okay. guys im at the ropes end hanging on.thanks for all the commits to now and in the days to come.
I ALSO JUST TOOK OUT THE PLUGS I JUST INSTALLED LESS THAN A MONTH AGO AND THEY ARE ALL SOOTY NOW.
IT A 1988 WRANGLER 2.5 RENIX 4CYL, 5 SPEED TRANS

Last edited by way2fastmike; 02-17-2017 at 08:58 AM. Reason: ADD SPEC'S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 02-17-2017, 08:59 AM Thread Starter
way2fastmike
1973 CJ5 

post #3 of 26 Old 02-17-2017, 09:38 AM
Dake
Web Wheeler

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Is your O2 sensor good . My wires got ripped out on the trail and had the same symptoms.

Waiting on my Rough Country lift to sag!

post #4 of 26 Old 02-17-2017, 09:50 AM
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

The renix is a different sort of critter when it comes to replacing sensors. Do you have a multimeter and do you know how to use it?

Fault codes:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mean Max pics of everything:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

How to use Google to search the forum:

No Start:
post #5 of 26 Old 02-17-2017, 11:16 AM
Dake
Web Wheeler

1991 YJ Wrangler 

After you changed the sensors did you unplug the battery so the computer can reset. I think you need to unplug the battery for 30 minutes I'm not real sure on how long.

Waiting on my Rough Country lift to sag!
post #6 of 26 Old 02-17-2017, 02:48 PM
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dake View Post
After you changed the sensors did you unplug the battery so the computer can reset. I think you need to unplug the battery for 30 minutes I'm not real sure on how long.
That renix is a different animal. You need to adjust some sensors like the TPS after you replace them.

Fault codes:

No Start:
post #7 of 26 Old 02-18-2017, 06:27 AM
yjmike82
1995 YJ Wrangler 

First never go to that mechanic again, you don't need a machine to check codes on these you just turn the key and count the flashes. I'd start there and see what codes you have

As said before O2 sensor, also check plug wires and your coil.

I had the wire between the coil and distributer fry and it would work perfectly until the Jeep got warm, then it would shut down. I tend to lean towards ignition issues.
post #8 of 26 Old 02-18-2017, 07:22 AM
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yjmike82 View Post
First never go to that mechanic again, you don't need a machine to check codes on these you just turn the key and count the flashes. I'd start there and see what codes you have

I had the wire between the coil and distributer fry and it would work perfectly until the Jeep got warm, then it would shut down. I tend to lean towards ignition issues.
The renix system on the 87/90 doesn't work like the 91/95 for fault codes.

The rest is true. You need a meter and know how to use it to setup the TPS, wot, and isa when replaced. O2 is a good call.

Fault codes:

No Start:
post #9 of 26 Old 02-18-2017, 08:32 AM
yjmike82
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Que89YJ View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by yjmike82 View Post

The renix system on the 87/90 doesn't work like the 91/95 for fault codes.

The rest is true. You need a meter and know how to use it to setup the TPS, wot, and isa when replaced. O2 is a good call.
Good to know I figured all YJs used OBDI codes, maybe the dealer than for getting the codes checked.
post #10 of 26 Old 02-18-2017, 04:22 PM Thread Starter
way2fastmike
1973 CJ5 

THE 02 SENSOR IS NEW, also today i changed out the coolant temp sensor, the egr valve. cleaned the tb with tb spray. still same issue. called the dealer, was told they dont even have a Manuel for this jeep. said they dont even know if the machine they have could read any codes at all. im lost guys.
post #11 of 26 Old 02-18-2017, 04:26 PM Thread Starter
way2fastmike
1973 CJ5 

all parts that have been replaced,
tps
cps
02 sensor
intake gasket
valve cover gasket
fuel filter
fuel pump
map
ics
battery
injector
egr
cts
i dont knpow what else to do.
plug in the tps and the jeep runs bad, unplug the tps and it smooths out and runs good. crazy
post #12 of 26 Old 02-18-2017, 08:11 PM
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by way2fastmike View Post
THE 02 SENSOR IS NEW, also today i changed out the coolant temp sensor, the egr valve. cleaned the tb with tb spray. still same issue. called the dealer, was told they dont even have a Manuel for this jeep. said they dont even know if the machine they have could read any codes at all. im lost guys.
I have a PDF of the factory manual. I will send you the link to my Dropbox. Do you have a meter and know how to use it?

Fault codes:

No Start:
post #13 of 26 Old 02-18-2017, 08:30 PM
Labhound
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Hmmm, sounds like what mine is doing now, I'll have to keep a watch on this before I start throwing parts at it.
post #14 of 26 Old 02-19-2017, 07:33 AM
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by way2fastmike View Post
all parts that have been replaced,
tps
cps
02 sensor
intake gasket
valve cover gasket
fuel filter
fuel pump
map
ics
battery
injector
egr
cts
i dont knpow what else to do.
plug in the tps and the jeep runs bad, unplug the tps and it smooths out and runs good. crazy
You need to adjust it. I sent you the link for the service manual. Follow the directions. You can't just swap a sensor on our TBI system. It requires the range to be set. If you have it running good without the TPS you are really close.

Fault codes:

No Start:
post #15 of 26 Old 02-20-2017, 04:58 PM Thread Starter
way2fastmike
1973 CJ5 

TO THE LAST POST, i did set the tps after install but after reading it again i may need to redue it. i think with i tested it i didnt make sure the isa arm was not touching the throttle. my reading at rest was 1.2 maybe and from what i read it needed to be at 0.9 something. yes i have a multi meter and know a little about it. lol sorry im learning.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.