YJ Snorkel Air Intake conversaion - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > YJ Snorkel Air Intake conversaion

Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 01-28-2011, 07:02 PM   #1
Boanerges
1992 YJ Wrangler 

YJ Snorkel Air Intake conversaion

I was having some problems with my intake being so low with all the water around here in FL. YJ's intake is too low for treading light water so a friend and I came up with this. It moves the intake up as high as your head lights, maybe another 12"s. It's concealed and works. I used 2" pvc from Home Depot. You will need 3 45 degree fittings, a stick of 2" pipe, PVC glue and silicone. Maybe $15's. Remove airbox from jeep. Several bolts and pop it out. You will see that the pickup is through the metal just below driver side headlight facing down. The stock airbox intake pickup will pull right out of the front of the airbox. Give the box a good cleaning from all the years of grime. The 45 degree 2" fitting will push perfectly into box. Fit everything prior to glueing it together. I removed the windshield washer reservoir to make a pocket for air pickup as you can see in photo #2. Clean & Seal with silicon inside and out for security. You will still run your stock air filter. I turned last 45 slightly down so any slight moisture would drain. Tried and Tested. No more stalls from water rushing into the stock intake

snorkel-1.jpg   snorkel-2.jpg   snorkel-3.jpg   tread-water.jpg  
Unread 12-26-2012, 05:15 PM   #2
sick93lx
1995 YJ Wrangler 

looks nice, ima do something similar in the next couple weeks but going outside the jeep also and up the windshield for even more sinkage ability
sick93lx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2012, 08:09 PM   #3
Mywrangler94
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Great idea, pretty cool actually.....just one question...when you guys go "river rattin" do you ever check your tranny fluid after? Just curious if you moved the vents on that too....
Mywrangler94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2012, 04:56 AM   #4
sick93lx
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I kille my tranny after filling it with water then rebuilt it. I relocated the vent after the rebuild, I highly recommend this.
sick93lx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2013, 07:10 PM   #5
Boanerges
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I moved all of my vents higher. I zip tied one to my driver's side seat along the seat belt receiver. That way I know if my a$$ is getting wet I'm in too deep.
Unread 01-16-2013, 07:28 PM   #6
squishy
Web Wheeler
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boanerges
I moved all of my vents higher. I zip tied one to my driver's side seat along the seat belt receiver. That way I know if my a$$ is getting wet I'm in too deep.
Am I right to say the tranny vents into the tcase? I looked all over for a vent location on it even when I had it out. All my vents come together at the drivers side piller next to the seat. Axles tcase gas tank vent has a one way ball valve on it cause I didn't want it inside. (There's enough exhaust fumes as it is.) lol.

OP i built my PVC snorkel out of pipe I found in the woods in a pile of trash. Lol. Works great. HAd it up to the windshield in lake christy at Rausch. Yes I learned my lesson. Lol. IT'S DEEP!!!!

The clean line on the door shows how deep I WAS. lol.
image-1998843793.jpg   image-1669570590.jpg  
squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2013, 08:13 PM   #7
zombiechief
1990 YJ Wrangler 

We have a bunch of 2" pipe and fittings we use at work when we install central vacuum systems in homes. I think it'll fit just as well as the 2" PVC. I'll find out and post it here.
Unread 01-17-2013, 07:14 AM   #8
NHfireYJ
Web Wheeler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by squishy View Post
Am I right to say the tranny vents into the tcase? I looked all over for a vent location on it even when I had it out. All my vents come together at the drivers side piller next to the seat. Axles tcase gas tank vent has a one way ball valve on it cause I didn't want it inside. (There's enough exhaust fumes as it is.) lol.

OP i built my PVC snorkel out of pipe I found in the woods in a pile of trash. Lol. Works great. HAd it up to the windshield in lake christy at Rausch. Yes I learned my lesson. Lol. IT'S DEEP!!!!

NOPE... Not all trannys had vents. Some vented thru the shifter boot.

You can add one... Read this..

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/o...hread-1035932/

Post #3 third/fouth pic down..
BETTY...94 SE, Golen Stroker 4.6, RE 4" lift, 1" booms rear, 1/2" booms front, 1" BL, 35 12.5 15 GY MTR's Kevlar on 15 x 8, AA SYE w/ Woods shaft, D30 Aussie, 8.8 w/ LSD, 4.10, Smittybilt front and rear bumpers, Wildbuilt rock sliders, Cutom tire carrier w/ Jerry can, Hi-Lift, Smitybilt 8000lb winch, Ammo can consol, VHF & CB radio, Herculined, Neoprene seat covers, Hard /soft/ bikini tops.

HUMMER INTAKE. Click here.. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...style-1257285/

FEBRUARY 2013 YJOTM
NHfireYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2013, 10:26 AM   #9
squishy
Web Wheeler
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHfireYJ

NOPE... Not all trannys had vents. Some vented thru the shifter boot.

You can add one... Read this..

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/o...hread-1035932/

Post #3 third/fouth pic down..
Thanks!!!!
squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2013, 08:07 PM   #10
Boanerges
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by squishy View Post

Yeah it does have enough exhaust inside the cab. I do get a wiff of differential every now and then with it sitting next to me tied to the seatbelt. I may eventually get a fitting and some hose to extend it and just run it up to the top of the fire wall inside the engine housing next to the front axle vent. All that matters is to keep the water out and that it works.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.