YJ shaking while accelrating - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > YJ shaking while accelrating

Want to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under Coil Spring Options from Ruffstuff!Flush Mount LED Bumper Lights, CREE

Unread 04-01-2010, 06:01 PM   #1
jerzeygrinch
1992 YJ Wrangler 

YJ shaking while accelrating

Today my stock 92 YJ started shaking bad, like I was driving over rumble strips while accelrating in 2nd, 3rd, 4th gear. Never got to 5th because I didint want to go any faster. Any ideas whats going on?

jerzeygrinch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2010, 06:11 PM   #2
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

U-joints or motor/transmission mounts
jay-h is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2010, 06:50 PM   #3
cbmadcow
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Check the u-joints.
I just replace my rear u-joint this past weekend. Exact same symptom driving down the highway feeling this very nasty vibration starting at about 50mph. It's an easy repair as long as the u-joints come out easy.

Kevin
Unread 04-01-2010, 08:39 PM   #4
jaminb
1999 TJ Wrangler 

also check the play of the slip yoke ( the output of the t case). if it moves around this will more likely be the cause of your vibration than u joints. You joints would not vibrate that bad through all those gears, they would eventually reach a point where they would even off.
jaminb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2010, 08:55 PM   #5
jerzeygrinch
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminb View Post
also check the play of the slip yoke ( the output of the t case). if it moves around this will more likely be the cause of your vibration than u joints. You joints would not vibrate that bad through all those gears, they would eventually reach a point where they would even off.
I was told it was the yoke in the pumpkin rear end that was bad but I dont believe them. He showed me the inside and as the wheel was turned the piece in the middle he called the yoke spit some oil out as it turned and this was the problem?? Also said the rear end needed to be rebuilt!! Gonna tell them to put it back together and I'll limp it home and look for other opinions. Thoughts???
jerzeygrinch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2010, 09:31 PM   #6
fallenbirdbeak
1990 YJ Wrangler 

It's the U-joints. I doubt it is the motor mounts, but you never know. Check the U-joints first.

This happened to mine before they broke and my rear drive shaft was hanging from the rear of my Jeep like a damn ****.

My 4wd did not work at the time, so I had to get towed like a btch.
Unread 04-02-2010, 11:05 PM   #7
jaminb
1999 TJ Wrangler 

It is possible that they input yoke on the rear differential is bad and moving around causing your vibrations. But checks these in order first...

1. U joints. ( move the drive shaft around by hand and see if you can see the joints moving)
2. Check for play in the slip yoke. ( it should NOT be able to move up and down noticably)
3. Check your motor mounts and trans mission mount as well at the torque pin. ( torque pin is the little nipple looking thing that sticks out from under the t case skid plate)
jaminb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2010, 11:31 PM   #8
MJMPC
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Check your air pressure in your tires and then rotate them. Had a truck do that once.

http://www.dav.org/

MJM Powder Coating
Elizabethtown Ky.

http://www.cityprofile.com/
MJMPC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.