YJ shackle install... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > YJ shackle install...

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 10-21-2002, 12:22 PM   #1
cwill29

YJ shackle install...

I'm not sure if this is the only way to get the factory shackles off but I used an air powered grinder. I just wanted anyone who is considering installing shackles to know that it is not as easy as people make it sound. The fronts were a piece of cake, the rears sucked! (it took about 1/2 hour to cut through each bolt)

The urethane bushings were a little too tight also. I guess I should have cut a little bit off them to make them fit but I didn't think of doing that until after I took them out and just used the original rubber ones in back. Total time was about 14 hours for one person.

I installed Currie boomerangs front and back. They're sweet looking plus give about 1/2" lift.

Last edited by cwill29; 10-21-2002 at 12:26 PM..
cwill29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2002, 01:41 PM   #2
NaeKid
JF Administrator, eh?

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Fallout and I did the shackles on defCon1's Jeep last weekend when we did the 4.5" RE ExtremeDuty lift .. with the two of us working on it, we had the rear shackles removed in under 1/2hr.

We didn't damage the bolts or anything .. came apart very nicely. Many thanks go out to Moabster for his writeup on removing the shackles .. we refered to them a couple of times to make our job easier
  • Silver 2006 TJ Unlimited, zombie ready as the daily-driver
  • a Kawasaki KLR650 DualSport bike

- - - - - - -TEOTWAWKI- - - - - - -

NaeKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2002, 03:42 PM   #3
cwill29

YJ shackles

I have a '92 YJ Renegade so the rear shackles are probably harder to get to because of the body kit. The bolts are inside out so you can't just slide them out because they hit the gas tank. The Renegade is cool but the body work can be a pain to work around sometimes.
cwill29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2002, 04:03 PM   #4
NaeKid
JF Administrator, eh?

1988 YJ Wrangler 

I just did a search for Moabster's original post from several moons ago (ok .. a month ago) and actually found it.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showt...threadid=19350

His straightforward step-by-step was perfect for us ..
  • Silver 2006 TJ Unlimited, zombie ready as the daily-driver
  • a Kawasaki KLR650 DualSport bike

- - - - - - -TEOTWAWKI- - - - - - -

NaeKid is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.