YJ seat swap - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > YJ seat swap

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 04-01-2009, 08:38 PM   #1
clwaite
1999 TJ Wrangler 

YJ seat swap

OK, so I seriously want to swap my seats out..BUT...do not under any circumstance want to have the new seat higher than the old seat...I would really like to relocate the seat back about an inch lower the seat an inch or 2, and put a flip up bracket in it. Anyone else do any of the above?

clwaite is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2009, 08:59 PM   #2
HilltopperYJ
1993 YJ Wrangler 

just get factory replacements, theyll be exactly like the ones you have

A-E-K-Δ-B

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
HilltopperYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2009, 09:04 PM   #3
clwaite
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I don't want factory replacements...there is nothing wrong with my current seats..they have been covered forever with neoprene covers, no stains, rips....I just want something more comfy..I have a super bad back..but can't seem to stay out of it..and too much jarring ..and I can't hardly walk the next day..so was wanting to put some cavalier seats in..i know they are a bolt in..but was wondering about the height difference.
Unread 04-01-2009, 09:10 PM   #4
ImpactFabWorks
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I am putting in master craft seats in mine. I'm young but I have back problems as well. The suspension seat helps a lot. And with the way the seat bolts they will drop about an inch and you drill your own holes so you can mount them as far toward or back as you want
ImpactFabWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2009, 09:13 PM   #5
shaggyjim
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I just got through the same thing with my brothers CJ. We changed his seats with ones from a Neon and It worked for a while but the seat and bracket combined to put your knees up to high and kinda sucked to drive.

Have you thought about something like this? It might help your back.
c69401.jpg  

"That's more fun than watching a hippie get mauled by a bear!"

"I love cats, I just can't eat a whole one!"
shaggyjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2009, 09:14 PM   #6
clwaite
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian_nichols View Post
I am putting in master craft seats in mine. I'm young but I have back problems as well. The suspension seat helps a lot. And with the way the seat bolts they will drop about an inch and you drill your own holes so you can mount them as far toward or back as you want
Yeah I'm 26..but too many days of being thrown for horses left me pretty much screwed for life...

I have heard that the better seats help ALOT so that's what I was hoping to gain from the swap, the mastercraft seats are nice..but way out of the budget..

I guess I will just set the hubby on the project and cross my fingers...
Unread 04-01-2009, 09:19 PM   #7
ImpactFabWorks
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Master craft is way out my budget as well I just lucked out and got some for free when my former boss shut down his company that boult trophy trucks. But when we would test the trucks I never had a single pain in my back using suspension seats. You don't have to go master craft their are a lot of companies that make sell them for less
ImpactFabWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2009, 09:20 PM   #8
shaggyjim
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Well if your going to get your poor hubby dirty just have him remove the bottom leaf from the Pro Comp springs and change to softer shocks like a Rancho 9000 that you can turn down. If you remove the little leaf from the pack it will soften up your ride and rember not to over torque the shackle bolts. Hope that helps!

Unread 04-01-2009, 09:27 PM   #9
clwaite
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian_nichols View Post
Master craft is way out my budget as well I just lucked out and got some for free when my former boss shut down his company that boult trophy trucks. But when we would test the trucks I never had a single pain in my back using suspension seats. You don't have to go master craft their are a lot of companies that make sell them for less
yeah lucky!! yeah I know there has to be some cheaper seats..but considering a need a new soft top..and some tranny work done..my budget is the $60 I found some cavy seats for
Unread 04-01-2009, 09:39 PM   #10
shaggyjim
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Try the springs, its free, reversible, and it made a world of difference with the ride on my Jeep!

Unread 04-01-2009, 09:53 PM   #11
HilltopperYJ
1993 YJ Wrangler 

wow knowing firsthand how ruff a ride in a YJ is i really feel for somebody who has a bad back , i just didnt understand your original first post

A-E-K-Δ-B

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
HilltopperYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2009, 09:56 PM   #12
BossYJ
1990 YJ Wrangler 

this may help?

http://www.jeepforum.com/wiki/index..../YJ_Seat_swaps
[url]www.novajeepers.com[/url]
[url]www.virginiakrawlers.com[/url]
BossYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2009, 02:50 AM   #13
hillside250

I can tell you that the 95 Grand Am seats are not a direct bolt in or anywhere near for that matter. The jeep seat rails come no where near lining up and the stock grand am rails are even more off. I wonder if the cavilier seats are really direct bolt in with or without a rail swap?????
hillside250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2009, 06:49 AM   #14
sknowskier
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I just put in some Smittybilt seats (like the Mastercraft seats but half the price) and they definitely raised the seat. I had to fab up some new brackets to lower them. But they really did help with the ride.
Unread 04-02-2009, 08:13 AM   #15
clwaite
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah well I guess that what will have to happen try to get the cavy seats in there, and have the hubby fab some brackets up.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.