YJ Sahara AC Not Turning On - Blower? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > YJ Sahara AC Not Turning On - Blower?

December Specials at Jeephut.comROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kits

Unread 09-12-2013, 07:47 PM   #1
sidekick_tonto
1994 YJ Wrangler 

YJ Sahara AC Not Turning On - Blower?

I'll try to be as detailed as possible:

94 YJ Sahara with factory under dash mounted AC.

When I turn the switch, nothing happens. The blower doesn't come on at all.

I've checked the relay and fuse and both appear to be in working order.

When I turn my lights on and turn the on/off knob, the lights flicker like there is power to the switch. Don't think it's that.

That leaves either a bad connection somewhere at the blower or a bad blower motor. Right? Or are there other things I can check?

Anyway, I read somewhere on here when I searched that the blower assembly can be removed without releasing the entire AC unit. So, I got up under the dash and unscrewed the two screws where it joins the main duct and loosened the supporting bracket that goes into the firewall. However, it is still secured at other points somewhere and somehow. Where are the other screws/bolts/clips or whatever that is keeping me from freeing the blower assembly? It is pretty tight under there and I'd like to take it out to check the connections, etc. Pics would be awesome if you can post them.

Thanks in advance!

sidekick_tonto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-12-2013, 08:56 PM   #2
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Is the ground on the ac hooked up? I bought a 93 Sahara a long time ago and its ac didn't work. I was messing around under the dash and found a ground unhooked and as soon as I hooked it up, the ac came on.
Unread 09-12-2013, 10:45 PM   #3
sidekick_tonto
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Interesting. That's something I was going to fish through when I get everything out and have a little more room. I do know that I have a random male flat spaded solid red wire that dangles down, but it's over by the clutch/brake/fuse box coming out of what looks like a sleeve of harness wires. I can't recall if it was dangling there before the AC shat the bed. Also not sure where those sleeve of wires trace to. Question: does the fuse box have female connections for flat spaded wires? If so, could this random wire be a wire coming from fuse 12 (AC)? Then again, fuse 12 also operates the heater, which works fine. Ugh. I suppose it could also be the red wire that plugs into the blower motor/blue wire, but I need to get it out to see what I have.

Thanks for the feedback. Hopefully someone else will chime in to give me pointers on how to release the motor, or at the very least how to drop the whole system without unplugging hoses, etc. I took out the ash tray assembly and unscrewed the front fascia, but the whole AC unit itself still seems to be snug and not budging.
Unread 09-13-2013, 12:30 AM   #4
sidekick_tonto
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Just went out to check again to see if there are any brackets or clips holding the complete assembly on. I didn't see anything, yet it's not budging. Are there any other places besides the screws on the top of the unit holding it in place? Do I need to pry it with a screwdriver or something? Pull it forward? Push it backward? Pull down hard? Don't want to break any plastic or possible mounts I've missed by pushing pulling or prying.

Thanks in advance.
Unread 09-13-2013, 05:54 AM   #5
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

there are the screws on the front, the ones you are talking about, then the back sits on a little ledge. not screws or bolts. there should only be about 3 wires coming off the unit also.
Unread 09-13-2013, 06:15 PM   #6
sidekick_tonto
1994 YJ Wrangler 

OK, so I was able to drop the drivers side of the unit and look at everything. The 5-prong fan control switch looked shot so I switched it out with a new one. The harness connector for the control switch looked a little contorted from heat, and one of the female connectors had to be pushed back in. When I plugged everything in and fired up the Jeep, the heat/AC fuse (25A #12) blew. I checked and rechecked connections then tried again only to have the same fuse blow.

I know that this means I have a short, but I can't see any other place that this could be other than the harness connection for the on/off switch. I read where similar melting of the connection happens on TJs and it turned out to be the blower motor going bad. Thoughts?
Unread 09-15-2013, 10:32 AM   #7
rage4order
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I'm only going by my personal experience with my 90 YJ but my a/c power was a single blade connector just like you describe. Also, I don't know if it's different with your 94 but my a/c blower fan was under the dash on the driver's side. If I'm correct, the one on the passengers side is the heater blower. It may be different from my 90 YJ though.
rage4order is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.