YJ Roll Cage - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > YJ Roll Cage

Engo LED Flush Mount Lights *PAIR* Flood or Spot 1,600 LumYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 01-11-2012, 11:13 AM   #1
jjh
1994 YJ Wrangler 

YJ Roll Cage

Hey guys,

I searched for a thread to answer my question but could not find one! Maybe i looked in the wrong spot or just didn't look hard enough.

I would like to put an actual roll cage in my YJ at some point and was just looking for opinions on either buying one or getting one made.

I can do basic welds but would not trust myself welding up a roll cage. I know they sell kits to add on to the existing roll cage but wasn't sure if they were worth it / trust worthy.

Thanks for the help.
If there is an existing thread discussing this i would appreciate a link or directions!

Unread 01-11-2012, 11:17 AM   #2
dillonjm
30mm @ 70/sec

2003 TJ Wrangler 

If you're looking for something to add a little extra safety, building off the factory b-pillar is fine. For comp crawlers that are looking to get multiple rolls out of a cage, it would be better to upgrade to at least DOM tubing in a full 6 point tied to the frame.

It really all depends on what you're looking to get out of it. There are some decent bolt in options out there too. I think Rock Hard is one of the prefered versions of this. However, they end up costing close to even if not more than weld in options. Just something to keep in mind.

11 Ram 2500 - 6.7 Cummins (DD/Tow Rig)

05 Liberty Limited (Wife's): Minor mods, OME/JBA Suspension, 245 70/17 Duratracs
dillonjm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-11-2012, 11:22 AM   #3
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Rock hard is a pretty good cage but keep one thing in mind: they're meant to save your life ONCE! If you roll it, just about any cage is going to lose its integrity and need to be rebuilt far beyond visible damage. I decided on mine to go with the rockhard bolt in and I am pleased with how stout it is and how it ties together but if I rolled it I wouldn't hesitate to weigh the cost of a full custom cage (vs repairs) against my life.
Unread 01-11-2012, 11:47 AM   #4
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Here's a thread from the Fab section you may wanna take a look at:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f37/o...thread-128237/
Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-11-2012, 11:53 AM   #5
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I'd suggest looking at cages you like and go to a local fab place and see what a similar cage would cost you vs. if you bring them a DIY kit and have them weld it vs. the add ons. At that point you may completely eliminate at least one of the options considering most times upgrades are determined by what we're willing to spend.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-11-2012, 01:31 PM   #6
Poke
runtime error = 0

2015 YJ Wrangler 

Anything done right is better than nothing. Pretty much any small dirt track or short track fab shop call help you. find a few local to you and go discuss pricing with them. When I looked I got quotes from $1500 to $250
Poke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-11-2012, 01:40 PM   #7
scubamc
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I got a price from a local guy that builds custom cages. This was after I purchased my PSC cage. He would have built a complete custom cage for $1800.
scubamc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-11-2012, 01:52 PM   #8
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Well... Be careful and don't roll it??

In all seriousness, what are your intentions?

-1989 Jeep Wrangler 2.5L, soon to be 5.2L
-1996 Jeep Grand Cherokar 5.2L, donor and rainy day driver
-2004 Kawasaki KLR650 sunny day driver
[QUOTE=mudsweatNgearz;21162729]Leave em off and weld an I beam on. Bumperetts just scream homo.[/QUOTE]
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the [B][I]RIGHT[/I][/B] of the people to keep and bear Arms, [B][I]SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED[/I][/B]."
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-11-2012, 07:15 PM   #9
1tuffyj
1994 YJ Wrangler 

tie it to the frame or dont bother putting it in.
Unread 01-11-2012, 07:32 PM   #10
Irongrave
1992 YJ Wrangler 

your only a few hours away from AtoZ fab hit Zack up he makes a great cage addition for wheeling, wouldn't race with it but its a great cage.

x what ever on frame tie in
1997 TJ, Dad's Claytons 4:88s and stuff A TJ for Dad
1992 YJ crawler, getting 60s. Build thread the illusion of progress
North Jersey Jeep Club, AtoZ Fabrication, Rozzo Fabrication
Irongrave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-11-2012, 07:43 PM   #11
Poke
runtime error = 0

2015 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1tuffyj
tie it to the frame or dont bother putting it in.
Not really but it. Is one school of thought but it is not that difinitive. Mild wheelers can be safely built with out the cage being tied to the frame. The important thing is the the seats are tied into the cage. What you don't want is seats tied to the body and cage tied to the frame.

I asked a few times on forums and have yet to run into a person that has seen a stock cage mountsseparate from the body on a trail roll. Sure you can find it on the vast Internet but its rare on the trail.

Tying the cage to the frame removes the all flex from the stock frame. In some cases it can cause vibration issues in a dd or anything you drive on the road.

All that said. Mine is at a fab shop getting 5 pnts and tied to the frame in 6 places. But I expect to roll multiple times. Only a matter of time
Poke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-11-2012, 08:34 PM   #12
dillonjm
30mm @ 70/sec

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poke View Post
Tying the cage to the frame removes the all flex from the stock frame. In some cases it can cause vibration issues in a dd or anything you drive on the road.
True, unless you build in some sort of flexible bushing, then it will allow the cage to flex with the body.

I also agree about tying the cage hard welded to the frame, then having the seats only tied into the body. If you're going to hard weld the cage to the frame, a seat frame tied to the cage is a very good idea, IMHO.

11 Ram 2500 - 6.7 Cummins (DD/Tow Rig)

05 Liberty Limited (Wife's): Minor mods, OME/JBA Suspension, 245 70/17 Duratracs
dillonjm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-11-2012, 10:12 PM   #13
ssyj94
1994 YJ Wrangler 

X2 on hitting up Zach at AtoZ

He's a great guy to work with and produces a top notch product. Here's the cage he made for me over the summer for a very reasonable price. It even fits with a hard top and steel doors.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.