YJ with Rockwells???? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > YJ with Rockwells????

Thanksgiving holiday sale in effect @ oconeeoffroad.comRugged Ridge 8500lb Winch w/ Steel Cable $294.99 Shipped O2" Lift Kits for JK, TJ, XJ, WJ~$125.00 w/free shippi

Unread 12-13-2011, 01:14 PM   #1
TexYJ
1990 YJ Wrangler 

YJ with Rockwells????

Okay so Im in the middle of mt 5.3 swap and a buddy starts laughing and asking why its SUA and only on 37s.... So now Im looking at putting a set of rockwells under it and running the 14.00-20 tires... Is there anyone that can give me a few pointers on the swap, Obviously I will need to get a new transfercase built and do all the steering work... I guess thats the easy stuff... I guess what im looking for is input on the transfer case and maybe a few pictures of the under side.

Thanks
Casey

TexYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2011, 01:25 PM   #2
Poke
runtime error = 0

2015 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexYJ View Post
Okay so Im in the middle of mt 5.3 swap and a buddy starts laughing and asking why its SUA and only on 37s.... So now Im looking at putting a set of rockwells under it and running the 14.00-20 tires... Is there anyone that can give me a few pointers on the swap, Obviously I will need to get a new transfercase built and do all the steering work... I guess thats the easy stuff... I guess what im looking for is input on the transfer case and maybe a few pictures of the under side.

Thanks
Casey
What do you want to know about the t-case.

you will want single caliper pinion brakes - cheap and easy. you can get a dual brake pedal set up with dual master from summit. so you can brake just one or the other. you need to get rid of the rockwell stock brakes. they weight almost 100 lbs a side.

you thinking springs or 4-link.

Start thinking about front up travel now. with a 5.3 and a rockwells you need to get creative to get more than 3 inches.

FYI- rockwells are stronger and cheeper than one tons. I could have had 2 steering rockwell for what I have into my front dana60 alone.
Poke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2011, 01:51 PM   #3
TexYJ
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I think Im going to keep the leaf springs, I have a buddy that builds the Critter Gitters and hopefully he has a chance to swing by later this week. If possible I want to keep my drivers side drop. I know I can clear the 44s by just going spring over with my 4 inch springs and metal cloak fenders... As far as Clearance on the underside of the 5.3 I have no idea where Ill be, I have the corvette oil pan already, but who knows...

BTW Im starting to think my friend needs a bigger jeep.....
Unread 12-13-2011, 02:05 PM   #4
oldtime_ironman
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Your friend needs a set of half-tracks on his... why not, might as well make it expensive for him, right?
oldtime_ironman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2011, 02:05 PM   #5
TexYJ
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Yea you cant really beat a pair of them for 1125....
Unread 12-13-2011, 02:10 PM   #6
TexYJ
1990 YJ Wrangler 

oh we already tried to go there... But Paul Sr. beat us to it with this electric "bike" on trax.....
Unread 12-13-2011, 02:11 PM   #7
oldtime_ironman
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Yea you cant really beat a pair of them for 1125....
Try these... http://www.americantracktruck.com/in...ideos-pictures
Think they're a lil bit more than that...

EDIT better link with pics

Last edited by oldtime_ironman; 12-13-2011 at 02:13 PM.. Reason: pics
oldtime_ironman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2011, 02:43 PM   #8
TexYJ
1990 YJ Wrangler 

If I was going to do it I would do it like this....

TRAX
Unread 12-13-2011, 02:48 PM   #9
egodfrey
Web Wheeler

1998 XJ Cherokee 

If you have to ask then maybe your not ready for rockwells...id go 60's anyways

Most of all thanks too Ian Johnson and the xtreme off-road crew for all their work, and 4 wheel to heal for their part in it too.
egodfrey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2011, 02:58 PM   #10
TexYJ
1990 YJ Wrangler 

yeah ok..... Im going to over pay for some 60s because I am unfamiliar with the rockwells.... Were you born with the Knowledge of Rockwells.... I was just looking for some input, lucky for me the axles will be here next week with a set of 14.00-20s....
Unread 12-13-2011, 06:26 PM   #11
Toycrawler1
1999 TJ Wrangler 

http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showthrea...eeps+rockwells
Toycrawler1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2011, 06:36 PM   #12
TexYJ
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks Toycrawer!!!! I dont know why I couldn't find it in a google search earlier.
Unread 12-13-2011, 08:35 PM   #13
jason m
your ad here...

Problem with rockwells is uptravel. I narrowed the set I have, ran two short side inner shafts. But the 3rd is huge, thats the problem I was having with them in my old buggy build.

I ended up using a pair of steering 60's and ditched the rockwells. Problem I was having is how to set up a proper 4 link with 32* steering front and rear.

Are you getting two steering axle's? If not the stock steering raduis is week, the most you can push them is around 32-34* max, a stock 60 can do 38*, and thts before you clearance the U-joints, after that the 60 can easyly do 43-46*.

Leaf springs and rockwells produce alot of axle wrap due to the 6.72 gearing, even in the front so build bolth axle's with anti wrap bars or you will twist your springs.
Be prepared to build a taller jeep than your used to, what i mean is the massive chunks force you to go up so that you can get some up travel.

Pinion brake's, I used a Toyota rotor with a Toy caliper. I never got to run them but this is what I was told to work the best.
I hope you don't get frustrted with them like I did, they are alot of work to make happen in any Jeep/buggy. But with anything time will tell along with money.
I found it cheaper in the end to build with two steering 60's. Once you put a good set of shafts in the 60 they will last just as long as the rock shafts.

Oh what year are your axle's? This will help figure out what style shafts you have. I had one 68 and one 62, the early one had the Bendex axle joints and the 68 had U-joints style. I had to buy U-joint style one's for the older and then differnet seal plates to match.

Jason.

And on the 8th day, God created the 14 bolt....
jason m is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2011, 08:42 PM   #14
TexYJ
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I think I'm going just keep the 37s on this one, start building the axles and start a buggy build.....
Unread 12-13-2011, 11:14 PM   #15
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
I think Im going to keep the leaf springs, I have a buddy that builds the Critter Gitters and hopefully he has a chance to swing by later this week. If possible I want to keep my drivers side drop. I know I can clear the 44s by just going spring over with my 4 inch springs and metal cloak fenders... As far as Clearance on the underside of the 5.3 I have no idea where Ill be, I have the corvette oil pan already, but who knows...

You know rocks are effectively center pinion right?

I think maybe the simple 78-79 ford f250/350 one ton axles are what you should be after.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.