YJ right side turn signal wiring - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > YJ right side turn signal wiring

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsCurrie

Unread 07-19-2013, 06:51 PM   #1
MNmilitaryGUY

YJ right side turn signal wiring

Let me start by saying I do have mechanical skills from being a jet engine mechanic in the airforce for almost 5 years, however I do not know a thing about electrical. I need direction on wiring up the rear right hand side of my 1991 YJ. I replaced both bulbs and checked the fuses all good. But still no brake or turn single light up any help would be greatly appreciated.

MNmilitaryGUY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2013, 06:54 PM   #2
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Get a test light and find out if there's juice at the wires. Then check the plug. Then work your way back whilst tracing the wires to the source. A friend or two will be helpful in this process.
Unread 07-19-2013, 07:10 PM   #3
MNmilitaryGUY

Now I haven't used my voltmeter yet but I had the same idea trace the wiring back and found at the first plug there was a piece of green wire taped up the three others with only the three headed into the plug on both sides
image-3494953770.jpg

image-669780480.jpg

Unread 07-19-2013, 07:26 PM   #4
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Yep. Start there. I wish I knew which wires went where but its a great jumping off point.
Unread 07-19-2013, 07:44 PM   #5
Dingo1033

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Blue with red tracer is for your turn signals. Had a similar problem on my 91 where the PO decided the plug wasn't necessary any more. Also check that the bulbs are in the correct way and the 3 bolts that hold the tail light housing on are tightened to the tub. Those bolts at as your ground for your rear lights.
Unread 07-19-2013, 08:48 PM   #6
MNmilitaryGUY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingo1033
Blue with red tracer is for your turn signals. Had a similar problem on my 91 where the PO decided the plug wasn't necessary any more. Also check that the bulbs are in the correct way and the 3 bolts that hold the tail light housing on are tightened to the tub. Those bolts at as your ground for your rear lights.
What about brake and running light
Unread 07-19-2013, 09:56 PM   #7
Dingo1033

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Honestly I can't remember. I had a friend help me out with it. I'll be seeing him later I'll ask. Might even be able to get you the original wiring diagram , but that'll have to be tomorrow when his shop is open.
Unread 07-19-2013, 09:59 PM   #8
MNmilitaryGUY

Quote:
Honestly I can't remember. I had a friend help me out with it. I'll be seeing him later I'll ask. Might even be able to get you the original wiring diagram , but that'll have to be tomorrow when his shop is open.
I have the wiring diagram in my manual but to me it's in Greek. So both turn signals should be the blue with red tracer but not on the same line otherwise they would both actuate at the same time. Where if I was to follow it all the way up the body would it end the ECU?
Unread 07-19-2013, 10:19 PM   #9
Dingo1033

1991 YJ Wrangler 

To the ECM I don't know what color it would be. That's something I haven't had to do yet. Trace that far back I mean. I would think you would have to run into the steering column writing before the ECM.

On another note the tail lamps on YJ's are just generic trailer lights. Wiring colors will be different on the tail lamp side. All the wiring color should , "should" be the same on the jeep main harness side. The only way I figured out that blue with red tracer was that wire was broken at the connector you took pics of. And also at the right front marker light.
Unread 07-19-2013, 10:22 PM   #10
Dingo1033

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Honestly Anti is right. Grab a test light and a buddy and start back probing those connectors. Have him hit the brakes, lights, and turn signals. A case of beer also helps this go buy too

KCCO
Unread 07-19-2013, 10:26 PM   #11
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingo1033 View Post
Honestly Anti is right.
Unread 07-19-2013, 11:22 PM   #12
MNmilitaryGUY

Quote:
Honestly Anti is right. Grab a test light and a buddy and start back probing those connectors. Have him hit the brakes, lights, and turn signals. A case of beer also helps this go buy too

KCCO
KCCO all day
Unread 07-19-2013, 11:48 PM   #13
Dingo1033

1991 YJ Wrangler 

The brake and running light wire will be the same color. The reverse light is the 3rd wire in that plug.
Unread 07-20-2013, 12:05 AM   #14
MNmilitaryGUY

Quote:
The brake and running light wire will be the same color. The reverse light is the 3rd wire in that plug.
So is there no 4th wire
Unread 07-20-2013, 12:21 AM   #15
Dingo1033

1991 YJ Wrangler 

No. No 4th wire. Its a 3 wire system.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.