yj rides insanely rough, please help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > yj rides insanely rough, please help

NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Ruffstuff XJ Unirail Channel Reinforcement....

Unread 06-24-2013, 04:53 PM   #1
Damon1995
1994 YJ Wrangler 

yj rides insanely rough, please help

my jeep rides insanley rough it feels like there is no shocks and the axles are welded right to the frame. ive rode in many yj's and mine is much worse than any other one i have rode in. every little bump or wave in the rode is spine jarring and teeth chipping never mind a 2" pot hole. i have 4" lift springs with 7" hole to hole shackles, apropriate length shocks (could be worn out they were on the jeep when i bought it), new bushings with plenty of grease, no track bars, front swaybar, and 35's aired down to 15 psi to help with the incredibly rough ride. what the flipping **** is going on?

Damon1995 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2013, 05:27 PM   #2
OhMY95yj
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Pics of the front an rear off said Jeep?
Unread 06-24-2013, 05:55 PM   #3
CBinDC
1989 YJ Wrangler 

As if a normal YJ ride isn't rough enough. Yikes!
CBinDC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2013, 09:46 PM   #4
jred
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Is it possible the shackles are cranked down too tight & locked solid? Or the sleeve is too short for the springs?
jred is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2013, 10:47 PM   #5
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jred View Post
Is it possible the shackles are cranked down too tight & locked solid? Or the sleeve is too short for the springs?
That is what I am thinking, But it also depends on what brand springs it has cause the spring rates are stiff as hell on some of the cheaper kits
Unread 06-24-2013, 10:52 PM   #6
dillonjm
30mm @ 70/sec

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom95YJ View Post
That is what I am thinking, But it also depends on what brand springs it has cause the spring rates are stiff as hell on some of the cheaper kits
He has them listed as BDS but some guys call black diamond BDS incorrectly.

If they are actually BDS springs, they aren't the issue, BDS YJ springs are very well mannered.

11 Ram 2500 - H&S tuned 6.7 Cummins (DD/Tow Rig)

05 Liberty Limited (Wife's): Minor mods, OME/JBA Suspension, 245 70/17 Duratracs
dillonjm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2013, 10:56 PM   #7
Tom95YJ

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dillonjm View Post
He has them listed as BDS but some guys call black diamond BDS incorrectly.

If they are actually BDS springs, they aren't the issue, BDS YJ springs are very well mannered.
You do have a good point, However if they are Black Daimond the newer Black Daimond is not as good as the Old (WARN OWNED) Black Daimond
Unread 06-24-2013, 11:18 PM   #8
dillonjm
30mm @ 70/sec

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
You do have a good point, However if they are Black Daimond the newer Black Daimond is not as good as the Old (WARN OWNED) Black Daimond
BDS isn't Black Diamond. That's what I was trying to say.

BDS springs are good, I have no experience with black Diamond.

05 Liberty Limited (Wife's): Minor mods, OME/JBA Suspension, 245 70/17 Duratracs
Unread 06-24-2013, 11:28 PM   #9
Tom95YJ

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dillonjm View Post
BDS isn't Black Diamond. That's what I was trying to say.

BDS springs are good, I have no experience with black Diamond.
I know what you were trying to say I've Been in this Scene for a Decade and worked in the Offroad Industry for several years I think the issue lies in the way I worded my reply . I was stating that Warn owned Black Daimond about a Decade ago, They are now owned by another company and the quality just isn't there anymore. Yes BDS does make great Lifts but Black Daimond is just Meh now days
Unread 06-24-2013, 11:33 PM   #10
dillonjm
30mm @ 70/sec

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I know what you were trying to say I've Been in this Scene for a Decade and worked in the Offroad Industry for several years I think the issue lies in the way I worded my reply . I was stating that Warn owned Black Daimond about a Decade ago, They are now owned by another company and the quality just isn't there anymore. Yes BDS does make great Lifts but Black Daimond is just Meh now days
Gotcha.

Unread 06-24-2013, 11:59 PM   #11
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Check your shackles for over tightening. They should be tight only if the steel bushing in red is longer than the poly bushings in grey.

Anticanman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2013, 03:16 AM   #12
ben944
1995 YJ Wrangler 

My yj is very rough, the PO put on a black diamond lift with add a leafs - Very stiff, horrible ride. No flex at all. Sounds similar to your description
Gotta switch to Old Man Emu soon. .
ben944 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2013, 07:19 AM   #13
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Get rid of the add a leaf.
Unread 06-25-2013, 11:29 AM   #14
jsipe007
1994 YJ Wrangler 

As others have stated, one thing to try is loosening the shackle bolts to the frame and spring and re-torquing. I went and got new hardware, lubed my bushings and teflon pads. I got locking nuts for the shackle bolts so I could tighten them to 35-40 pounds instead of the factory 80-90. Before doing this though, you can try flexing your rig, if the shackles dont move like they are supposed to, theyre probably overly tightened.

For clarification, did you ditch the trac bar in front or just the sway bars? The first thing I did was toss the front and rear trac bars into the scrap pile.

finally, as others have stated, the spring brand makes a huge difference. Procomp and Rough Country are two companies known for really stiff YJ springs. I know cuz I have 2.5inch procomps. I finally got her to flex good, but the ride is not nearly as sweet as a set of OME springs. Your profile as others stated says youve got BDS springs. Are you sure theyre BDS?
jsipe007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2013, 12:34 PM   #15
dtn8tr
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Hmmm...stiff springs, 1.5" lift shackles, possibly bad or wrong shocks. Sounds like a recipe for a terrible ride! Oh and btw, BDS makes a 3.5" lift, not 4.

Most good stories start out "Y'all ain't gonna believe this ****...."
dtn8tr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.