JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   YJ Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/)
-   -   yj rides insanely rough, please help (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/yj-rides-insanely-rough-please-help-1540854/)

Damon1995 06-24-2013 03:53 PM

yj rides insanely rough, please help

my jeep rides insanley rough it feels like there is no shocks and the axles are welded right to the frame. ive rode in many yj's and mine is much worse than any other one i have rode in. every little bump or wave in the rode is spine jarring and teeth chipping never mind a 2" pot hole. i have 4" lift springs with 7" hole to hole shackles, apropriate length shocks (could be worn out they were on the jeep when i bought it), new bushings with plenty of grease, no track bars, front swaybar, and 35's aired down to 15 psi to help with the incredibly rough ride. what the flipping **** is going on?

OhMY95yj 06-24-2013 04:27 PM

Pics of the front an rear off said Jeep?

CBinDC 06-24-2013 04:55 PM

As if a normal YJ ride isn't rough enough. Yikes!

jred 06-24-2013 08:46 PM

Is it possible the shackles are cranked down too tight & locked solid? Or the sleeve is too short for the springs?

Tom95YJ 06-24-2013 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jred (Post 15603415)
Is it possible the shackles are cranked down too tight & locked solid? Or the sleeve is too short for the springs?

That is what I am thinking, But it also depends on what brand springs it has cause the spring rates are stiff as hell on some of the cheaper kits

dillonjm 06-24-2013 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom95YJ (Post 15603687)
That is what I am thinking, But it also depends on what brand springs it has cause the spring rates are stiff as hell on some of the cheaper kits

He has them listed as BDS but some guys call black diamond BDS incorrectly.

If they are actually BDS springs, they aren't the issue, BDS YJ springs are very well mannered.

Tom95YJ 06-24-2013 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dillonjm (Post 15603701)
He has them listed as BDS but some guys call black diamond BDS incorrectly.

If they are actually BDS springs, they aren't the issue, BDS YJ springs are very well mannered.

You do have a good point, However if they are Black Daimond the newer Black Daimond is not as good as the Old (WARN OWNED) Black Daimond

dillonjm 06-24-2013 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom95YJ (Post 15603709)
You do have a good point, However if they are Black Daimond the newer Black Daimond is not as good as the Old (WARN OWNED) Black Daimond

BDS isn't Black Diamond. That's what I was trying to say.

BDS springs are good, I have no experience with black Diamond.

Tom95YJ 06-24-2013 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dillonjm (Post 15603784)
BDS isn't Black Diamond. That's what I was trying to say.

BDS springs are good, I have no experience with black Diamond.

I know what you were trying to say I've Been in this Scene for a Decade and worked in the Offroad Industry for several years I think the issue lies in the way I worded my reply . I was stating that Warn owned Black Daimond about a Decade ago, They are now owned by another company and the quality just isn't there anymore. Yes BDS does make great Lifts but Black Daimond is just Meh now days

dillonjm 06-24-2013 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom95YJ (Post 15603813)
I know what you were trying to say I've Been in this Scene for a Decade and worked in the Offroad Industry for several years I think the issue lies in the way I worded my reply . I was stating that Warn owned Black Daimond about a Decade ago, They are now owned by another company and the quality just isn't there anymore. Yes BDS does make great Lifts but Black Daimond is just Meh now days

Gotcha.

Anticanman 06-24-2013 10:59 PM

Check your shackles for over tightening. They should be tight only if the steel bushing in red is longer than the poly bushings in grey.

http://i899.photobucket.com/albums/a...psbe39ce78.jpg

ben944 06-25-2013 02:16 AM

My yj is very rough, the PO put on a black diamond lift with add a leafs - Very stiff, horrible ride. No flex at all. Sounds similar to your description
Gotta switch to Old Man Emu soon. .

TSEJEEPERS 06-25-2013 06:19 AM

Get rid of the add a leaf.

jsipe007 06-25-2013 10:29 AM

As others have stated, one thing to try is loosening the shackle bolts to the frame and spring and re-torquing. I went and got new hardware, lubed my bushings and teflon pads. I got locking nuts for the shackle bolts so I could tighten them to 35-40 pounds instead of the factory 80-90. Before doing this though, you can try flexing your rig, if the shackles dont move like they are supposed to, theyre probably overly tightened.

For clarification, did you ditch the trac bar in front or just the sway bars? The first thing I did was toss the front and rear trac bars into the scrap pile.

finally, as others have stated, the spring brand makes a huge difference. Procomp and Rough Country are two companies known for really stiff YJ springs. I know cuz I have 2.5inch procomps. I finally got her to flex good, but the ride is not nearly as sweet as a set of OME springs. Your profile as others stated says youve got BDS springs. Are you sure theyre BDS?

dtn8tr 06-25-2013 11:34 AM

Hmmm...stiff springs, 1.5" lift shackles, possibly bad or wrong shocks. Sounds like a recipe for a terrible ride! Oh and btw, BDS makes a 3.5" lift, not 4.

The time now is 08:06 PM.