YJ replacement engines - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > YJ replacement engines

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 08-01-2013, 01:52 PM   #1
jdeere_man
1991 YJ Wrangler 

YJ replacement engines

My 1991 with 6 cylinder is blowing oil out the intake (pretty bad). I've done things like replaced pcv or ccv valve (whatever its called) on valve cover. Replaced various parts like idle air control, tps, spark plug wires, etc, but it's not running real good. Some time back I sucked some water in the intake crossing a river. In a perfect world I would have shut it off and drug it home, but I was alone and hundreds of miles from nowhere, literally.

I have no idea how many miles are on the engine, I bought it used with a replacement odometer in it. I'm thinking of just replacing the engine or having it rebuilt. I'm not sure what my best options are here. I can turn wrenches, but I'm no mechanic. Anyway advice is appreciated. I would like this thinking running again.

jdeere_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2013, 02:16 PM   #2
SeanB95YJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

since it's still running at all, I'd say it's safe to say you didn't hydrolock...
for a start (if you haven't already) completely remove the valve cover and SOAK it in degreaser and use various parts cleaning brushes to thoroughly clean it out... making sure to get into the baffles on the underside - they tend to clog up and make blow-by even worse than the 4.0 is already known for.

buy, borrow or rent a compression tester and check compression and leakdown on each cylinder... this will give you a good starting point to diagnose if the engine is ok or needing a full rebuild/replacement
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Blue"]Sean B. - Schenectady, NY - 95 YJ, 350/700r4/NP241, JB Shorty SYE, 8.8 rear, 2" BDS, 1" homebrew shackles, Daystar 1" BL, TJ flares, 35x12.50 General Grabber AT2 on 15x10 Bart D-Truckers, Polyshield polycarbonate windshield, HD over/under crossover steering
[/COLOR] [COLOR="Red"]swap/build thread: [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/after-almost-4-years-finally-my-own-build-swap-thread-1542284/[/url][/COLOR][/FONT]
SeanB95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2013, 02:18 PM   #3
roadyrob
1987 YJ Wrangler 

first thing I would do is run a compression test and see exactly where you stand.if it is bad replacing the engine with a good used one would be the cheapest way out. I had my 4.2 rebuilt at a machine shop and it cost 2,800 a few years ago.

the voices aren't real but they sure have good ideas.
roadyrob is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2013, 04:18 PM   #4
jdeere_man
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I had the valve gasket cover off when i replace that pcv/ccv valve and it was amazingly clean. I think I have a compression tester gauge around here somewhere if not I'll buy another one. Trying to find a YJ to salvage a motor from is probably not worth my time, but they put that same engine in the cherokee from the same years right? I can probably find a junk one of those if the engine isn't shot in it too. I'll start with compression test.
jdeere_man is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.