YJ repairs - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > YJ repairs

BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!XJ Rail Sale!

Unread 02-20-2003, 01:43 PM   #1
shookwell

YJ repairs

i took the YJ im looking to buy to the mechanic today. he said it needs a new muffler, oil pan, and front brakes + rotors. how much will these run me? also, is it worth going for OEM parts, are they any better?

thx

shookwell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-20-2003, 04:01 PM   #2
PoorFool
1999 TJ Wrangler 

OEM

I certainly don't think there should be a significant difference in quality between OEM and aftermarket on those items. In fact, you can probably spend the same money on aftermarket and get upgraded components. The oil pan is straight forward. But a set of high quality brake pads is probably still cheaper than the dealer can offer.

If it were me I'd go cheap (within reason) on brakes and oil pan, then get a good hi-flow muffler and after-cat system to boost power.

Is the oil pan bent? I have a 2.5L and bent mine over a year ago. Still runs fine and doesn't leak.

Tommy

www.kcjeepclub.org
PoorFool is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-20-2003, 04:25 PM   #3
shookwell

no it just has a lot of rust. it and the muffler are the only parts with rust though, dunno why?
Unread 02-20-2003, 05:00 PM   #4
PoorFool
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Rust?

I've never seen one get rusty. I thought they were made with galvanized metal so they don't rust. Who knows?

Anyway, I wouldn't replace it unless there is some specific problem with it. As long as it holds oil and isn't leaking horribly, I wouldn't jack with it. It can be a bit of a pain and somewhat costly.

What year is it and how many miles does it have? If it has less than 100k you can probably just have the rotors turned for $20 each and get some new pads. If you can do it yourself, it would probably be less than $100 total for the brakes. My 94 has about 68k on the stock rotors and pads, although they're about due for some work.

I don't know if you have a Midas around, but they offer (or used to) a lifetime warranty on their mufflers. A friend of mine has had his replaced 5 times due to rocks tearing holes in them, all free of charge.

Good luck with your purchase!
Tommy

www.kcjeepclub.org
PoorFool is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-20-2003, 05:01 PM   #5
yjynot

muffler = !9.99 cheapo
each rotor and brake pads..=$25.00 per side
oil pan,,,sounds like he wants ya to bend over... scuff yours up and put some paint on it
yjynot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-20-2003, 05:32 PM   #6
Snowbird

Quote:
oil pan,,,sounds like he wants ya to bend over... scuff yours up and put some paint on it
Agree with everything yjynot said with one caveat: if the pan is leaking oil through it, you need to replace it. Both oil pans and rear end covers can corrode through from a combo of oil and water = acid formation.

Your oil pan might be leaking through, but it might just be from another source.

In any case, only the brakes and muffler need fixed asap.
The rotors can be turned if they are not beyond specs.

Any chance you can do the work yourself?
Snowbird is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-20-2003, 06:44 PM   #7
Bob K

My oil pan rusted out. My mechanic, who is very honest, said not to worry about it. The leak will gradually get worse, but it won't just drop out on ya without warning. I eventually did replace it. My original oil pan had a skid plate. I didn't want to compromise that so I searched far and wide. I couldn't find a new one. So I eventually bought a used one in excellent condition for fifty bucks on EBay. Good luck.
31" BFG A/T's
K&N Filter
Custom Rock Guards
Turbo Muffler
Rear Track Bar in the shed
Other Tricks I won't tell to just anybody!

'99 Grand Cherokee 4.7 V8
Towing Package
K&N FIPK
ProComp MX6 shocks
Borla Exhaust
Tow Hooks
Alpine CD with Infinity+iPod connect
Just getting started!

If you're not living on the edge...
you're taking up too much space.
Bob K is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-21-2003, 04:10 PM   #8
shookwell

thx for the input

the muffler definately needs replacing, besides being rusty, the clamp broke off and its bent.

the oil pan isnt rusted through, its not losing any oil, he said it will have to be replaced within 6 months to a year. the brakes probably need new rotors, the jeep is just past 99k
Unread 02-21-2003, 05:17 PM   #9
93yj35

i believe that skyjacker makes a high clearance oil pan that holds another 2 quarts of oil and is made of solid steel.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.