YJ Rear end - Direct bolt on? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > YJ Rear end - Direct bolt on?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 09-11-2013, 09:21 PM   #16
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryEMS View Post
LOL Anti.. is this a common problem for YJs? Was undermine last weekend and noticed my mount is cracked.
I only posted my picture a couple years ago because timatoe and another member posted similar ones. Its pretty common.

It is why my shock mounts are here now

Unread 01-31-2014, 09:13 AM   #17
jepp
1992 YJ Wrangler 

shock mount

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
Sounds like my train of thought. Broke a shock mount, installed a 8.8

I seem to have the same mount problem, but I'm not quite ready for the 8.8 upgrade. My mount broke in the same place as yours, it seems like the stock mount comes in two pieces and is welded together, is that true? I am interested in your fix for the shock mounts. I have found the terraflex bar that you used but I can't seem to find the 90 degree mounts for the axle yet. are they homemade?
012.jpg

Last edited by jepp; 01-31-2014 at 09:19 AM.. Reason: upload image
jepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2014, 10:16 AM   #18
bob082484
1995 YJ Wrangler 

For the bottom shock mount you can get cj spring plates with shock studs on them for a no weld fix.
Unread 01-31-2014, 12:00 PM   #19
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

The standard shock mounts are universal and the 90* inserts are from teraflex on their website. I would strongly suggest fabbing your own at the price they sell them.
Unread 02-02-2014, 02:14 AM   #20
DirtyYj91
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I had the same problem as well and went with the 8.8 Upgrade to 4.10 gears front and rear.
I was lucky to get the 8.8 as a donor from a junk exploder and the front I got from a guy on Clist from a 4 banger.
Reweld the spring perches on the rear and install the flange with a new U joint on the rear side of the
drive shaft.
Works amazing.
Unread 02-03-2014, 07:59 AM   #21
jeepguy85
Bringing down the BFH
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jepp
I seem to have the same mount problem, but I'm not quite ready for the 8.8 upgrade. My mount broke in the same place as yours, it seems like the stock mount comes in two pieces and is welded together, is that true? I am interested in your fix for the shock mounts. I have found the terraflex bar that you used but I can't seem to find the 90 degree mounts for the axle yet. are they homemade?
Where did you find the Teraflex bar? Every website I have found it on says it is no longer available.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneRZA View Post
Mean Max created Chuck Norris with some spare parts, two trac bars and some differential fluid.
jeepguy85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2014, 08:18 AM   #22
jepp
1992 YJ Wrangler 

lower shock mounts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob082484 View Post
For the bottom shock mount you can get cj spring plates with shock studs on them for a no weld fix.
Its not completely no weld, but I think it is a good idea. you can modify YJ front spring plates to mount on the rear and mount the rear shock to the pin that would normally hold the sway bar link in the front. The front spring plates are about the same cost as new weld on axle shock mounts.

jeepguy85 I couldn't find the teraflex bar either when I went to try and order it. They are gone forever apparently.
jepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2014, 10:53 AM   #23
imstillatwork
1993 YJ Wrangler 

teraflex bars are gone forever. Might get lucky and find one here or there for about $100 or so. They clearanced them out at like $25 a pop a year ago or so.
imstillatwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2014, 10:59 AM   #24
crackedcornish
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by imstillatwork View Post
teraflex bars are gone forever. Might get lucky and find one here or there for about $100 or so. They clearanced them out at like $25 a pop a year ago or so.
I'm glad I picked up a couple of 'em when they were on sale
Orange Jeep Club #88

˙ɹǝʌo ɹǝʇndɯoɔ ɹnoʎ dılɟ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı
crackedcornish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2014, 04:50 PM   #25
RockWoRM
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoPhotog View Post
was wondering about the rear from a 4cyl. I know they come with 4:11... Wondering if its a direct bolt in.
I can only assume then you'll be re-gearing the front to match...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80 CHOPPER View Post
Knowledge is a tool, without knowledge, you are just a tool.
RockWoRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2014, 06:50 PM   #26
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

You guys crack me up, ha ha ha.

My plugs need replacing, time for new motor. Shoes need to be changed, time for new rear axle assembly, ha ha ha.

I am to much of a scrooge for that. It has to be very cost effective for me to do something like that. I wish I could make myself do stuff like that but I worry about having money to complete it and something going wrong in the middle and me not being able to fix it. Look at the 302 in the garage, been there a year. But, that damn accelerator cable is sticking so maybe its time to put that 302 in.

And I am not making fun of you guys, those answers are the answers that make me laugh at work and improve my day. I love seeing the answers you guys have.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.