Yj Ran out of gas now wont run right. HELP - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Yj Ran out of gas now wont run right. HELP

Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 01-21-2014, 11:42 PM   #1
Caboose89
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Yj Ran out of gas now wont run right. HELP

I ran the jeep out of gas last night. put enough fuel in it to get me to the gas station. Filled her up and noticed something wasnt right. Since it was late I just drove it home and parked it. Jumped in it this morning and it fired right up. Once she got good and warm I took off. First stop sign I came to it sputtered and died. Immediately took it to my shop and started trouble shooting. On the way to the shop it died twice and its only a few blocks. The jeep will start up but immediately wants to die. Once it gets to about 1500 RPMS it runs smooth but as soon as I let off it dies like its running out of gas. I replaced the fuel filter thinking it was clogged, but it didnt do any good. All of my vacuum lines are hooked up and the fuel pump is pumping fuel. Thinking maybe its the carb i threw the original one on that I replaced because I got rid of a bunch of wiring, and it didnt help any. I am at a loss and tomorrow I will replace the fuel pump to see if that helps. Any advice is appreciated.

Caboose89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2014, 03:41 AM   #2
deerslayer123
1990 YJ Wrangler 

If it was a good running Jeep prior to running it dry I'd think it sucked up something from the bottom of the tank. sand, dirt, rust, etc... and has pushed it partially through the line and maybe the lodge is somewhere and is now restricting fuel. Replacing the filter was good idea. Id check from back lines to front fuel lines for maybe a clog in the line, Start with dropping tank and see how it looks inside, if you see a lot of deposits then its time to clean out the tank. Then check the sending unit ensuring its functioning properly. Next I'd work my way towards the front of the Jeep and blow the fuel lines out to push out any debris that might be hung up in the line causing it to starve for fuel, Switching out carburetors seems a little drastic cause it is probably an easy fix. If carburetor was good before , then theoretically should still be good. I'd try the lines ,tank, and sending unit first. Before changing out carburetor. Jeeps our age are known to get lots of sediment and water in the tanks over time. It could be a good time to convert the 15 gallon tank into a 20 gallon tank. Also check the lines to ensure none of the fuel lines got pinched. You can try and put some gas down the float on the carburetor and see if it runs better for a few seconds the returns back to problem. That will tell you carburetor is working good only starving for fuel. There are several different things that could have gone wrong to have started the issue. Now you are gonna have to use process of elimination to find it. Good Luck
deerslayer123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2014, 05:48 AM   #3
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Was the fuel filter you replaced in the rear on the left side? Many people run an aux filter.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2014, 08:50 AM   #4
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

After I got my Jeep I was doing preventative maintenance so I changed my fuel filter (the one in front of the carb) and ran it to the car wash. On the way home it was sputtering and dying. Check the venturi tubes in the carb, The small tubes in the Carter get plugged easily.

August YJOTM

Exiled Offroad - Colorado
Randonexplosion is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2014, 09:05 AM   #5
Jeepsr4me

Take the filter off and using air, blow into the line coming from tank. You would not believe how much crap in a tank. This will get you going again and be prepared when you get low to drop tank and clean it.

Change the filter also. if the crud managed to get up to it.
Jeepsr4me is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2014, 10:41 AM   #6
Caboose89
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Reason I changed the carb is because I have been struggling with the idle on the new carb for the last week or so and thought maybe it was just a pile of junk and finally kicked the bucket on me. I would really hate to have to drop the tank. It's manageable just a pain in the rear. I replaced the filter that is in the engine bay next to the carburator. I am installing an electric fuel pump on it today to bypass the mechanical one and see of that helps. It sure can't hurt.
Unread 01-22-2014, 11:22 AM   #7
88_olympic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randonexplosion View Post
After I got my Jeep I was doing preventative maintenance so I changed my fuel filter (the one in front of the carb) and ran it to the car wash. On the way home it was sputtering and dying. Check the venturi tubes in the carb, The small tubes in the Carter get plugged easily.
Im with Radonexplosion on this one. You may save yourself some time if you pull the venturi tubes and clean them out. I cleaned mine 6 months ago after i ran my 88 out of fuel in the driveway. There are several wonderful writeups avalible that will get you through the whole procedure in about an hour.
If there is one thing my yj has taught me in the last 6 years, it is to check the easy s*** first! (Much like the saying keep it simplestupid haha)
Good luck keep us posted!
88_olympic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2014, 11:25 AM   #8
Jeepsr4me

If trash is in the line no type of pump is going to work. Take the line coming from the stock pump and poke it in a empty bottle. crank the engine a few turns and see how much fuel you got.
If pump is working and line is clear, it will get about 1/4 of a 12oz bottle in just a few seconds of cranking.
Jeepsr4me is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2014, 12:28 PM   #9
Caboose89
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88_olympic View Post
Im with Radonexplosion on this one. You may save yourself some time if you pull the venturi tubes and clean them out. I cleaned mine 6 months ago after i ran my 88 out of fuel in the driveway. There are several wonderful writeups avalible that will get you through the whole procedure in about an hour.
If there is one thing my yj has taught me in the last 6 years, it is to check the easy s*** first! (Much like the saying keep it simplestupid haha)
Good luck keep us posted!
Where exactly are the venturi tubes? I know it is best to keep it simple but over the last two years I have replaced nearly everything there is that could be considered simple. I will check the lines, and see if I can get anything out of em.
Unread 01-22-2014, 12:30 PM   #10
Caboose89
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepsr4me View Post
If trash is in the line no type of pump is going to work. Take the line coming from the stock pump and poke it in a empty bottle. crank the engine a few turns and see how much fuel you got.
If pump is working and line is clear, it will get about 1/4 of a 12oz bottle in just a few seconds of cranking.
I did exactly that and it seemed to pump just fine (strong spurts). The mechanical pump on it is 25 years old and has seen 200k + miles so since I already bought the pump it surely cant hurt to replace it with a new one.
Unread 01-22-2014, 12:32 PM   #11
kenh
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caboose89 View Post
Where exactly are the venturi tubes? I know it is best to keep it simple but over the last two years I have replaced nearly everything there is that could be considered simple. I will check the lines, and see if I can get anything out of em.
http://www.jeep4x4center.com/blog/?p=203
Unread 01-22-2014, 12:48 PM   #12
vadslram
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Try duushing down the carb with carb cleaner and a little dry gas/gumout. It could be you sucked up some unburnable AND unfilterable stuff like water. The pressure of the spray cleaner should dislodge anything that just got in there and the alchohol will help move the water through. It may not work but as a first attempt it is a whole lot faster and easier than dismantling the carb to get to the jets. If it doesn't work you're only out a few bucks and a few minutes.
vadslram is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2014, 02:07 PM   #13
irnmadn88
2005 LJ Wrangler 

What carb was on the Jeep when it ran out of fuel?

What carb is on it now?
Colorado Jeep Club Member #667
irnmadn88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2014, 02:07 PM   #14
88_olympic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caboose89 View Post

http://m.instructables.com/id/Fix-id...eep-cj-7-or-w/

I know i have seen a good writeup here on JF but in the interest of time this link illustrates the procedure well. Dont forget to buy a carb rebuild kit from any local parts store, you will need the venturi gasket most likely. And lots of carb cleaner.... and dont have butter fingers and drop screws own the throat of the carter
88_olympic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2014, 03:44 PM   #15
Caboose89
1989 YJ Wrangler 

The carb that ran out was a carter 2bbl. The carb that used to be on it was the original carb on it but it had a lot of electrical problems and most of them didn't have anywhere to go when I bought it. I took the jeep to my mechanic to have him rewire the harness after I put the new body on and he suggested to get rid of the carb and get one without the electrical crap and that's what I did. I cleaned the Venturi tubes and blew out all the lines. The pump is good. The filter is brand new. It's got new plugs, rotor and distributor cap. All the vacuum lines are hooked up or blocked off. The only thing I can think of is if I have a crack in the intake or I have heard of where the distributor in some older jeeps has a chip in it rather then the mechanical pins. And if it's bad it won't run right. Will keep looking into it and will let you guys know.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.