YJ project ... what to do with it? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > YJ project ... what to do with it?

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

View Poll Results: What would you do?
Part it out. Sell the half doors alone for $400. Sell the JK bumper and TJ grill too. 2 20.00%
Replace the tranny, Herculine it, paint it ... cheap lift, put the 33s on and sell it. 4 40.00%
Sell it all as a package deal and just get rid of it. 2 20.00%
Go all out, drop in a V8, convert it to round headlights and make it a crawler. THEN SELL IT! 0 0%
Same as #2 ... but force the TJ grill on it, put TJ flares on it and a 91-95 rollbar. TJ clone. 2 20.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Unread 08-31-2007, 10:54 PM   #1
ZonaWrangler

YJ project ... what to do with it?

I have an 88 YJ project I am trying to decide what to do with. Paid $1200 for it ... mostly because I wanted the full steel doors so I could run a hardtop on my 95. Just got all my windows tinted today ... it's sweet!

Anyway ... I'm left with a complete 88 and my 95 half doors. I picked up a few extra parts, namely some rims and 33" tires, a TJ front grill and headlights and a 07 JK front bumper with the built in foglights. Jeep is originally from Massachusetts and has some rust issues, but nothing too bad. It's an Arizona Jeep now. Floor pans are good. 4.2L. Biggest problem is the Peugeout tranny is shot. Has a rebuilt transfer case and carb. Exhaust needs some repair too. No AC.

So, I have time and some money ... but I don't want to get too deep into a project I can't finish. The Jeep is in my brother's backyard ... and he doesn't mind it being there, but he doesn't want me bringing by tons of people to look at it. He'll help me fix it up. He was born to wrench. Matter of fact I bought it because he said he'd help me swap in a new transmission. BUT ... to get those 33's on there I'd also hafta lift it. Might have a AT for $300 ... and I'd buy it in a heartbeat ... that'll solve the transmission problem but WHAT TO DO NEXT!?

FYI: Looks like my parttime job is going fulltime. Be a weekend project.

Last edited by ZonaWrangler; 08-31-2007 at 11:12 PM..
ZonaWrangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-31-2007, 11:17 PM   #2
learfxr
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I would install the auto and make it a trailer queen rig. It will make a nice trail rig and the sky's the limit on what you do with it over the years. I wouldn't want to sell it though.

Bought mine with a crap 5spd. I used a 80 Wag to be a donor for my trans, case and axles. Now it's a pretty decent ride.

00 TJ 8.8 swap, 35's and 4.88's
learfxr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-31-2007, 11:32 PM   #3
ZonaWrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by learfxr
I would install the auto and make it a trailer queen rig. It will make a nice trail rig and the sky's the limit on what you do with it over the years. I wouldn't want to sell it though.

Bought mine with a crap 5spd. I used a 80 Wag to be a donor for my trans, case and axles. Now it's a pretty decent ride.
Makes a lot of sense to keep it as a trail rig .... I mean, I woulda paid $500 for the doors ... so effectively it's a $700 Jeep. If I sell the half doors for $400 (have good speakers) it becomes a $300 Jeep. To be a DD, I'd really need to add AC ... here in Zona. Guy selling the tranny says it and the engine were rebuilt 20k miles ago. Factory AC too. Might just buy the whole thing ... and have a spare rebuilt 4.2L. Guy is doing a V8 conversion. I figure $300 for the tranny is a steal ... whole drivetrain with AC .... what $750?

It needs some body work before painting. Might as well force a TJ grill on it ... or is it better to just offer ... "I have a TJ grill and headlights, if the square ones bother you.". I only paid $100 for it.
Unread 08-31-2007, 11:38 PM   #4
Randy.YJ
1989 YJ Wrangler 

This thread made me angry.
Unread 08-31-2007, 11:42 PM   #5
learfxr
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Price is relative to your area I guess. I got the 80 Wag used for mine for $650 for the whole thing, ran and drove. I sold the V8 out of it and other various parts. I hauled it off for scrap after that. Parted a 85 also and sold off the parts. That time I got 2 Wags for $600, but had to drive to Okla and get them. One drove, sold it to a friend for $500 and then parted the other and scrapped the body. Most of my drivetrain is technically free. Helps to have a trailer.

00 TJ 8.8 swap, 35's and 4.88's
learfxr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-31-2007, 11:55 PM   #6
ZonaWrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by learfxr
Price is relative to your area I guess. I got the 80 Wag used for mine for $650 for the whole thing, ran and drove. I sold the V8 out of it and other various parts. I hauled it off for scrap after that. Parted a 85 also and sold off the parts. That time I got 2 Wags for $600, but had to drive to Okla and get them. One drove, sold it to a friend for $500 and then parted the other and scrapped the body. Most of my drivetrain is technically free. Helps to have a trailer.
My brother has a trailer. He races a 10 second Mustang ... see http://www.phatboyperformance.com/

So, repairing and fixing up the old girl aint a problem. Just thinking ... I paid $75 for the JK front bumper (it helps to watch your local Craigslist religiously) ... missed a 68 Shelby Mustang for $1500 .... must be a joke ... but go ahead and search Phoenix Craigslist if you don't believe me. "68 Shelby Mustang - $1500 - SOLD"

No reason to get angry ... I just have an extra Jeep ... and I'm not sure what to do with it. Yeah ... $1200 was a GREAT deal ... even with the bad tranny. Clear title. There's a 87 available Phoenix Craigslist, think it's $2300 ... needs work, but that's a GREAT PRICE for Arizona. Has AC. Might be a 4 banger ... dunno ... don't need a third Jeep.

My bro also has a 53 Willy's pickup ... future street rod. Needs total restore. $500. I want him to keep it a 4X4 ... I found it, he bought it. I pushed it onto his trailer. Either way ... that could be a really cool truck.

http://www.phatboyperformance.com/Ph...Boy_Truck.html

Last edited by ZonaWrangler; 09-01-2007 at 12:20 AM..
Unread 09-01-2007, 12:25 AM   #7
ZonaWrangler

Come to think of it ... guy was asking $1600 ... think I gave him $300 on the spot and $1,000 when my brother and I picked it up ... so it was $1300 ... not $1200. The Willys pickup ... with title ... yeah ... $500. Pretty much a shell.

Kinda wont feel bad if we make it into a hot rod. Should remain a 4X4 ... imho ... but my brother bought it.

Prolly gonna paint my hardtop myself .... the one I just got tinted ... (FYI was a 95 hardtop, all glass was good ... $200 ... Phoenix Craigslist) ... but I don't need another one. Paid $350 for mine. It's grey ... so it get's less hot ... than a black top ... might keep it grey ... have a grey interior ... got some minor bodywork to do on the doors before I get 'em painted. Kinda like that it looks jacked up though. Lesser chance of a break in. They had a crack in the metal of the interior sill, but my brother and I welded that up and grinded it down.

Has anyone tried the Rustoleum roll on, wet sand, roll on, wet sand then buff technique? Supposed to make a real nice paint job for like $50. I figure if that works, I can paint the thing and Herculine the tub for like $100 ... plus my sweat and time. Done it before. The Herc job anyway ... never tried to paint a car ... but I am an artist with a Masters degree ... so I understand that the devil is in the details. Been my plan all along ... but this has been the hottest summer EVER ... and for Phoenix that is saying something.

Why not sell it all and just keep my eye out for another project? $1300, + another $400 in parts (TJ grill, JK bumper, 33's) ... actually sold the rims and tires it came with ... pretty much straight up for the 33's so ... even there ... total $1600 I have in it.

So ... if I could sell it for $1600 ... make my full steel doors free.

But if I fix it up ... it's a $3500 Jeep. Make more money. Is that what it comes down to? Kinda think it's worth $2500 now. With the extra parts, half doors and a clear title.

I'd let it all go for $2500. Firm.

Last edited by ZonaWrangler; 09-01-2007 at 04:52 AM..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.