YJ Project.....Kind Of. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > YJ Project.....Kind Of.

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 04-22-2010, 09:41 AM   #1
GumboroJeep10
1995 YJ Wrangler 

YJ Project.....Kind Of.

Hi All,

My name is Josh, and I'm new to the forums here. I just bought a YJ from my brother for $1000, what a deal! But, it does need some minor work. Firstly, Where is the best place to buy replacement parts? Secondly, I am having a problem with the engine. The jeep runs pretty great for the most part, I can run it as much as I want and it will get me to where I need to go. The problem is that it intermittently stutters, almost like your loosing gas. It does that for about 30sec-1min then it stops and runs fine, until it happens again. I have tried fuel injection cleaner, changed the oxygen sensor, and the IAC Motor. The injectors have also been changed. I have taken it to a Chrysler dealer and they couldn't find any problems. Any help here guys?

Thanks!

GumboroJeep10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-22-2010, 10:04 AM   #2
FOURWALLYS
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GumboroJeep10 View Post
Hi All,

My name is Josh, and I'm new to the forums here. I just bought a YJ from my brother for $1000, what a deal! But, it does need some minor work. Firstly, Where is the best place to buy replacement parts? Secondly, I am having a problem with the engine. The jeep runs pretty great for the most part, I can run it as much as I want and it will get me to where I need to go. The problem is that it intermittently stutters, almost like your loosing gas. It does that for about 30sec-1min then it stops and runs fine, until it happens again. I have tried fuel injection cleaner, changed the oxygen sensor, and the IAC Motor. The injectors have also been changed. I have taken it to a Chrysler dealer and they couldn't find any problems. Any help here guys?

Thanks!
Honestly, just start using the search feature on JF. You can practically type in anything on here, and you will find similar problems, with tons of advice on diagnosis. Have you tuned it up to start with, plugs/wires/distributer, new air filter, pcv. Search "Nutter Bypass", I haven't done mine yet (probably next week) but it pretty much is the cheepest mod that gets the most bang for the buck.
Unread 04-22-2010, 10:06 AM   #3
Toms87
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOURWALLYS View Post
Honestly, just start using the search feature on JF. You can practically type in anything on here, and you will find similar problems, with tons of advice on diagnosis. Have you tuned it up to start with, plugs/wires/distributer, new air filter, pcv. Search "Nutter Bypass", I haven't done mine yet (probably next week) but it pretty much is the cheepest mod that gets the most bang for the buck.
Nutter bypass is only good for the carburetor engines. OP, your best bet is to yank out your 2.5 and put in a V8
Toms87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-22-2010, 10:08 AM   #4
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Check the fuel filter too. It's mounted along the inner framerail by the driver side rear tire.
Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-22-2010, 10:11 AM   #5
FOURWALLYS
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toms87 View Post
Nutter bypass is only good for the carburetor engines. OP, your best bet is to yank out your 2.5 and put in a V8

Absolutely right, sorry, I didn't look at his year......
Unread 04-22-2010, 10:29 AM   #6
GumboroJeep10
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dillard View Post
Check the fuel filter too. It's mounted along the inner framerail by the driver side rear tire.
I would love to put a V8 in it if I had the money for that right now lol! I had the fuel filter changed already, and it was very dirty. But, changing it didn't make a big difference in performance . Could it possibly be a computer problem?
GumboroJeep10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-22-2010, 10:43 AM   #7
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Check your fault codes first. The method is listed under the FAQ. You need to figure out if it is fuel, air, or timing. strart with checking the faults the go out to the local auto parts store and rent a pressure guage. There is a nipple on the fuel rail to measure the fuel pressure. Hook it up and watch the fuel pressure when its happening to see if it changes. Fuel pressure should be 31-40psi. BTW you get your money back when you return the tool.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-22-2010, 10:46 AM   #8
youngYJ95
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Check out the TPS it might just need to be cleaned, the CPS could probably use a good cleaning as well seeing as how it is 15 years old. Mine runs great now with a new TPS and clean CPS. Good luck!
Unread 04-22-2010, 10:51 AM   #9
maricopanate
1995 YJ Wrangler 

i actually had the same syptoms when i joined this site a couple years ago(just had to get new user/pass because i hadn't been on so long i couldn't log in-different email i guess) if you search it, i think it feb or march of 2008 on this forum. the guys here had lots of helpful suggestions. on mine i tried the easy stuff first-fuel filter, O2 sensor, but i ended up pulling the gas tank and found out that the sh@#%y stock rubber gasket for the the fuel pump was bad. it's been running great ever since.
maricopanate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-27-2010, 04:06 PM   #10
Toms87
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GumboroJeep10 View Post
I would love to put a V8 in it if I had the money for that right now lol!
I'm almost done my swap and almost out of money...

Did you ever fix the problem?
Toms87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-27-2010, 04:23 PM   #11
firefighter315
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Welcome to JF Josh! You'll find tons of useful info here.
I'd suggest ruling out individual components one by one. You've almost completed the fuel delivery system, just go ahead and work your way back to the source. New injectors should be fine (unless the problem didn't appear until after you put them in) and you've changed the filter. Check your fuel pressure at the rail and make sure your pump is getting the all the fuel where it needs to be. If not, drop the tank and swap out the pump. It'll probably need it sooner than later anyway if it is still the original. If there is a ton of gunk on the filter sock on the pump, have your tank cleaned before reinstalling. If you do end up dropping the tank, do the 15 to 20 gal. conversion while it is down. You can find the instructions all over this forum with a simple search. It'll take you and extra 5 minutes with the tank on the ground anyway. If you have the appropriate pressure at the fuel rail, start looking at the various sensors mentioned above.

Welcome to the Jeep world! It's all about trial and error and running down the list ruling out each suspect as you go. Be sure to find some time to wheel it too!
Unread 04-27-2010, 09:45 PM   #12
meangreeny
1992 YJ Wrangler 

sure sounds to me like your tps is faulty.
meangreeny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.