YJ problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > YJ problem

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGBds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 05-14-2002, 06:44 AM   #1

YJ problem

ok, ive had the jeep for about a month and its the 1st time ive driven stick, so it might have something to do with that,... but about 50% of the time when I shift gears it either seems to die for a second or does that and backfires a little. there is also this little warning light that says emmission maintanance... but we just thought we had to reset it after we replaced this hose. have any insight into the matter??

4951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2002, 06:52 AM   #2

also when i shift into reverse, even with the clutch totally pressed down, it still seems like i am grinding gears... if i do it really fast and hard i can shift with minimal noise,... but it takes a lot of force and it is still loud, and probably not to good on the gears. if i start to shift and hold it half-way between neutral and reverse it sounds just like trying to shift without the clutch in. got any help on this one either?
Unread 05-14-2002, 07:01 AM   #3
johny1i

For the first question, what year/engine is the jeep? Regarding the grinding into reverse, you're right--it's not good for it, but mine has done that intermittently for about the past 40,000 miles. Nine times out of ten, I can just rev the engine slightly and it will slide right in. I also try to go ahead and put it in reverse before cranking it, if I can remember. My last clutch was replaced with the slave cylinder, which had gone out. The clutch was real good even after 80,000 miles, so I suspect that this time around my slave cylinder or pilot bushing is going again. When you come to a redlight, is it easy to put it in first after you've come to a stop? That was another aggravation that came up before mine finally went out. Again, revving the engine slightly would eliminate it, though.
Currently an '86 CJ-7 and a '77 CJ-7 Golden Eagle---#4 and 5 following a '01 Sahara, '90 Sahara, and '85 CJ-7....
johny1i is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2002, 08:36 AM   #4
jfarrell

Let me give you my $.02.

My jeep had the same issues when I bought it. The emissions maintenance light is something that comes up after 82,500 miles. This is to tell you to replace the oxygen sensor (which isn't too hard) and check some other components. You can find this on an earlier discussion on this site.

The grinding you're hearing was the same in mine when I bought it. I rebuilt the tranny but when it was open I found that the synchros from 2-3 were worn which is why when shifting from 2-3rd gears you got this horrible grinding noise. You could pause for a moment and this would help the grinding but all I really know is that these components will need to be replaced. I could also shift really hard and the same would happen as you're describing. I don'w know the long term damage you can cause by not fixing.

Hope this can help a little bit. BTW I have a 90 4 cyl. wranger with 89000 on it.

Good luck.
jfarrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2002, 05:11 PM   #5

'90 laredo, 4.2 6 cylinder
Unread 05-14-2002, 05:17 PM   #6

yeah, that was another thing,... every so-often i would come to a red light and it wouldnt go into 1st or 2nd, i could go to 3rd then 1st and it was ok though... but that only happens about once every 2 weeks.

thanks for the tips
Unread 05-14-2002, 07:20 PM   #7
FLHT_FXRS_YJ

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by griff_65:
<strong>yeah, that was another thing,... every so-often i would come to a red light and it wouldnt go into 1st or 2nd, i could go to 3rd then 1st and it was ok though... but that only happens about once every 2 weeks.

thanks for the tips</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">with that information I'd say that your syncros are going out in the tranny. Reading your first post I thought it might have something to do with the hydraulics, either low in fluid or the slave is going out.
89' YJ - 4.2 - NV4500 - NP231w/sye - 1" Body Lift - 2 1/2" Rancho Suspension Lift - 31" Firestone MTR - AR Outlaw II - Tomken Bumpers F & R - Warn 8000 front - Warn 6000 rec. mount rear - FlowFit Seats - Tom Woods Rear & Custom 2" front driveshafts
FLHT_FXRS_YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2002, 07:39 PM   #8
evilpsych

also you might want to look into new motor mounts.. plenty of people i know (including me) have had that same *syncro*/linkage problem, where the shifter would shift easily sometimes and not others, after looking at everything else, it turned out to be a bad mount...

'93 YJ, 4.0, K&N filter, Borla Header, Borla Cat-Back, Hi-Flo Cat, 3 Core Radiator, D-Rings, TruckNuts, MSD 6A, LockRite Locker in D30, Magnecors, Kickass Stereo, 1" daystar, 31" BFG AT's, Homemade Rocker Guards and Front/Rear air-tank bumpers with tire carrier, 15x8 AR-767 4"BS, BDS 3.5 HD lift, AMA A/C Kit, York OBA, GoFerIt 1" MML, 8,000lb HF/MM Winch, Magellan MAP 330 GPS, PRO-2067 500ch. Scanner, oh, and a CB capable of talking to SATURN!

"The Only Thing Necessary for Evil to Succeed is for Good Men to Do Nothing." - Edmund Burke
evilpsych is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2002, 01:53 AM   #9
JeepinNH

I would say time for a clutch kit. The tranny me be on the way out, but the clutch is making it seem worse than it is.

Wife's has 91 Wrangler, Shackle Lift running BFG 31" "Yellow"
JeepinNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2002, 08:04 AM   #10
johny1i

I haven't had synchro problems yet, so I can't comment on those suggestions. However, one last recommendation--mine was having very similar problems to what you describe and one thing you need to keep an eye on is the clutch master cylinder fluid level. During all of this, I would have to top it off every other week or so. It finally caught up with me, though--at 11:00 on a Friday night in traffic (sucked severely). Therefore, if you start losing fluid on a regular basis, I'd say bite the bullet and replace the slave cylinder before you get stranded! Just watch the fluid level and it can be a decent indicator for hydraulic leaks.
Currently an '86 CJ-7 and a '77 CJ-7 Golden Eagle---#4 and 5 following a '01 Sahara, '90 Sahara, and '85 CJ-7....
johny1i is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.