YJ Power Steering Gear Question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > YJ Power Steering Gear Question

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 08-12-2013, 02:06 PM   #1
beaver24

YJ Power Steering Gear Question

I have an 89 YJ that I did a 4.0 conversion with a 99 XJ engine. Because of the bracket locations I am using an XJ power steering pump with my stock YJ gear. Since the conversion my power steering has seemed tight but it worked. I replaced the pump thinking I may have gotten a bad one and it was still fairly stiff. Yesterday the power steering died completely. I have checked and cleaned the lines and they are clear. Could a bad gear cause this? I always thought that a bad gear would cause more wobbly or floating steering not just tight steering. I don't see any signs of leakage from the gear. When I look in the reservoir should I see the fluid moving, because it appears to be still with the engine running and wheel turning? Could the piston inside the gear be clogged or dead? I have no problem swapping the gear I am just wondering if I am getting crap parts from Advance and the pump isn't strong enough for the gear and swapping it would be a waste of time and money.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.