yj plus snow? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > yj plus snow?

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 09-25-2013, 08:06 PM   #1
Haggerty
1991 YJ Wrangler 

yj plus snow?

so ive read on here that if not equipped right jeeps are not the best in the snow. My other vehicle is a 97 ranger regular cab short box 5spd, so im used to a fairly light 2wd short wheelbase vehicle in the snow, i put 250# in the back and i can just fine in a michigan winter. But i think it would be fun to have a 4x4 this winter for the 1st time (i have driven 4x4 in the snow and know it wont help me stop, just never owned one) i searched the forum and no one has said anything about putting 75-100# in the "trunk" do you think it will help, or just help spin me around faster when i slip and slide. ive had that happen in trucks. fyi the jeep is open in back with a locker up front.

thanks

Haggerty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2013, 08:11 PM   #2
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

It should help. People have mentioned doing that a couple of times and the cj guys talk about doing it also
Unread 09-25-2013, 08:38 PM   #3
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Usually a hard top is enough weight but the short wheel base4x4 should be fine on its own.
Unread 09-25-2013, 08:47 PM   #4
Haggerty
1991 YJ Wrangler 

i have a soft top, and i guess what im worried about is not when im in 4x4, its when im in 2wd, because with the locker i cant be in 4x4 all the time, and the roads get patchy ice and snow blown on it
Haggerty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2013, 09:44 PM   #5
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

That's why you're able to shift on the fly at any safe speed
Unread 09-25-2013, 10:48 PM   #6
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur

1999 XJ Cherokee 

I have never had a issue on my Soft top equipped TJ with front and rear lockers, Or my 95 YJ with Front and rear lockers with a hardtop.
I dont have issues with my XJ, And I dont expect this yj to have issues either
Unread 09-26-2013, 11:07 AM   #7
GrantYJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Mine has always been great in the snow. I've had weight in the back as well as running empty and haven't noticed much difference (I've always run soft tops).

Tires will make more of a difference than anything else. I'd be a little concerned about the locker. I've never run one in snow for that reason.

On ice, all bets are off. We get nasty ice storms every few years and it's never a good time. That being said, I still prefer the Jeep for ice driving.
“The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.” ― Robert M. Pirsig, Zen And The Art Of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values
GrantYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2013, 01:23 PM   #8
goodwrenchdave
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I'm in the snow belt. We have real snow winters here. My jeep becomes a seldom used toy in the winter...who am I kidding...it's a toy all year. I'll drive a car mostly in the winter as I hate surprises. Jeep cj/yj/tj are just horrible at stopping in snow/ice. Haven't driven a jku in snow so can't comment, but probably more stable. If you really have to drive it as a DD then put thin winter studded tires. That's what a lot of jeep owners do around here. "bubble" tires are only good for very deep snow where you want to float.
Your advantage is that you already come from a "slippery" vehicle, so the adjustment will be easier. Small pickups are horrible too due to light weight but at least they have the wheelbase to prevent spin-a-round and few hundred pounds in the back helps.
Don't really think weight will help as sometimes there is at least 150-200 pounds of snow on vehicle and doesn't seem to have better stopping . It's the wheelbase that's the handicap. Try it....Bag of sand is a couple dollars

As for soft top in winter...I don't want to even think about it.
goodwrenchdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2013, 04:58 PM   #9
Luuca
Professional Novice

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodwrenchdave View Post
I'm in the snow belt. We have real snow winters here. My jeep becomes a seldom used toy in the winter...who am I kidding...it's a toy all year. I'll drive a car mostly in the winter as I hate surprises. Jeep cj/yj/tj are just horrible at stopping in snow/ice. Haven't driven a jku in snow so can't comment, but probably more stable. If you really have to drive it as a DD then put thin winter studded tires. That's what a lot of jeep owners do around here. "bubble" tires are only good for very deep snow where you want to float.
Your advantage is that you already come from a "slippery" vehicle, so the adjustment will be easier. Small pickups are horrible too due to light weight but at least they have the wheelbase to prevent spin-a-round and few hundred pounds in the back helps.
Don't really think weight will help as sometimes there is at least 150-200 pounds of snow on vehicle and doesn't seem to have better stopping . It's the wheelbase that's the handicap. Try it....Bag of sand is a couple dollars

As for soft top in winter...I don't want to even think about it.
Canadians are so hard core.
91 YJ "Alice" 2.5L AX5 D30/35, Rock sliders, Monsta Daughter&Dad Project Yellow Jeep Club Club #91

05 LJ Rubi "Ghost" 4.0L Auto NV241 Rock-Trac D44/44 lockers, 4" Currie Lift, 1" BL, 33s, hardtop
Luuca is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2013, 07:31 PM   #10
rambo3489
1989 YJ Wrangler 

It's a horse a piece. Yes a YJ isn't the best vehicle for high speed on packed/icy surfaces. For that you want to look into an AWD audi or something fancy. But good luck with that thing in a drift or anything more than 6". If you get "real" snow you shouldn't be concerned about 2wd. I say me a man and get a JEEP. It will handle like a dream compared to a 2wd ranger.

Sent from my phone because I'm doing something "more important"

Current Project: None... I disgust myself.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-yj-build-adventures-thread-1356941/"][SIZE="3"][B]BUILDING THE YJ MY WAY[/B][/SIZE][/URL]
rambo3489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2013, 09:48 PM   #11
Firefyter-Emt
1995 YJ Wrangler 

A Jeep in 4wd with good tires will get you where you want to go... if done slow! What get's the old cheeks clenching is that Jeeps don't fish-tail, they go spinning off the road like a top! Be careful with the high speed stuff and take it easy, but the best advice is to remember if that back end gets loose.... you are not likely to get it back, there is just not enough wheelbase! I would skip adding weight, with such a light vehicle, if you need traction at the rear, just toss it in 4WD.
Firefyter-Emt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2013, 02:32 AM   #12
jred
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I'm so glad I live in the south
jred is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2013, 02:11 PM   #13
cojab

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jred View Post
I'm so glad I live in the south
Oh h e double hockey sticks, it isn't that bad!!!!
The ice can be a little tricky especially with wider tires. In light snow and ice I usually take my F250, in deeper snow I'll take my Jeep any day over my pick up. My driveway is almost 1/2 mile long and when it drifts (1 to 2 feet regularly) my Jeep is the only thing that stands a chance of getting up it.
Otherwise I get up the driveway as far as I can, walk from my vehicle to the shop, get the tractor and start plowing!
cojab is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2013, 03:10 PM   #14
Reno72
1992 YJ Wrangler 

My jeep always handled good in the snow, just depends on how deep, what kind if tire, your ability. In ice or up to about 8" nothing beat my Chevy Express Van AWD with BFG AT's, thing was solid even in a ice storm
Reno72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2013, 04:25 PM   #15
Shenandoah
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Just slow down and enjoy the ride. If you want to drive fast in the snow, your Jeep won't do well

But, it will get you there if you slow down.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.