Would you buy another 4 banger Jeep?

• Yes, the 4 cylinder is adequate

Votes: 26 48.1%
  • No, I would rather have the 6 cylinder

Votes: 28 51.9%

Yj owners with 4 banger

2K views 20 replies 19 participants last post by  NMullens 
#1 ·
If you were to buy another Jeep, would you buy another 4 banger or would you go for the 6 cylinder? Feel free to add why you voted the way you did.

#2 ·
i'd buy another 2.5 it suits me just fine for the way i use my jeep now. i used to run extreme trails in a a highly built toyota PU(v8/dual t cases/homegrown, rediculously flexy suspension) and that worked well for me then. now i've got a kid, needed the extra seat, and dont generally have time to go to faraway places that require a built trail rig. my jeep(95 yj) is very nearly stock. 235 mud terrain tires is the only change other than recovery and trial supplies( custom bumpers with tow hooks, winch, highlift, OBA etc..) i can get it everywhere i want to go. it does fine for most of the trails i want to run. the only popular trail i've run with it is holy cross city-and was able to get through with few problems(had to winch the climb out of french creek-but i've resorted to the cable on my toy there, too.) its all about what you want to do with it. a stock 4 cyl is a very reliable rig for mild trails. you dont have to worry about the weak axles and all that. just drive it sensibly and it will last a long time. i think it does fine on the highway. i run the speed limit most everywhere, other than on long steep climbs.

#4 ·
Devious said:
When I buy another one it will be a 4.0

The 2.5 is fine offroad in low but I also do alot of street driving where the 4.0s added power would be nice.
I second that. I have never had a problem of too little power when offroading, but on the highway things get a little iffy. The 6 would be better there.

#5 ·
I agree with the upper two about both the offroad and onroad performance of the 2.5, however if gas prices werent an issue, I would gladly go with the 4.0, but the best fuel mileage Ive seen with large tires is 13mpg, my 20mpg and 35s are a good combo for me, I'll stick with the 2.5 and live with the highway loss till gas prices ever fall(if thats possible)

#7 ·
I like mine. I'd buy another one. :thumbsup: Like someone said, in a perfect world I'd want more HP, but the gas mileage is great. It's also less expensive to buy a jeep with the I4 which is another plus. I live in VT and there is a lot of hills and I have no problem at least maintaining the speed limit up hills. They have such a short wheelbase that it's not a vehicle you want to drive real fast in anyways. Even though I do.... :D

#8 ·
For what I do right now (city driving) I have no problem with the 4. Sure some people tail my @$$ but that’s there problem, not mine. If I were to do more highway driving I would go with the 6 and the fact that they last forever. Not saying the 4 doesn’t but the 6 has a big history when it comes to that.
-Nick

#9 ·
soccr10star said:
would I buy another 4? Yes.
in a perfect world would I get a 6? yes
actually, I would have a v8, free gas, and the best off road beast you've ever seen.
^^ Exactly what he said!

#10 ·
I would, condition being it is a project vehicle. I have wheeled both my 4-banger and my ma's 6, and honestly, the added ballance of the 4 really makes a difference. I also don't have to worry about breaking stuff, especially when I get my 44's in. I can go right over stuff that the 4.0 nose dives on. If you look under the hood, the 2.5 is stuffed right into the firewall. Good reason for that. If I were getting a commuter, I'd get the 4.0 in a second. The sahara has 4-6 MPG on my 4 banger, but I'm geared really poorly right now.

#11 ·
Well, I really like my 2.5L for the torque and gas mileage but I have already decided what my next vehicle will be. I do a bit of highway driving so here is a scenario for you. If my YJ got hit by another driver tomorrow and the insurance company totalled it out I would look for an XJ (5-speed, 4.0L) or a YJ (5-speed, 4.0L). I would buy whichever one I found first for the right price. I drove my buddy's 03' TJ with the 4.0L and I like it a lot. The 2.5L is good for now though. Later <><

#12 ·
I love my Jeep BUT.....

I would get the 6 cyl.
Near same gas mileage and my wife's Cherokee has the 6 and I'm thinking now if that was in my little Jeep I'd be a little better off.
I don't need to go racing, but I would like to be able to do 65-70 on the freeway when I take an extended trip.

It's one of those I'd like to have it when I need it deals.

#15 ·
Yes the 4 is adequate, but I'd rather have the 6... On average I get 50Km further on a full tank in the 6 than I can get in the 4 (both 95s and doing the same drive-to-work routine) The extra power of the 6 gets you up to cruising speed much faster and therefore uses less gas than the 4 cyl and you don't feel like you always have to push the go-peddle to keep up with traffic. That being said it's still hard to pass a deal on a 4 just for the parts... 'cause there's always the thought of a chevy or buick conversion just a little further down the road. :cool:

#16 ·
gustaia said:
In all sports lighter is better....The 4 banger does it fine for me....(Of course the I6 would be better on the hwy), but I did not get a Jeep to drive on the hwy....
my 2 pennies....
Is sumo a sport? or smash-up-derby ;) anyone know how much more weight there really is in a 4.0L than the 2.5L wouldn't think it would be too much!

#19 ·
My son has a 95 4.0L and mine is a 95 2.5L. The gas mileage is a little better in mine but I really feel a diff when I drive his and punch it.

My usual daily ride is a 03 mustang GT and I get around 21.5 MPG. After driving an 89 4 cyl for 12 years and getting 28 MPG, it isn't worth abuse you get from other stang owners...Like the 4 cyl really isn't a stang.

Hey..I still love my Jeep, but time I'll go with a 6.

#20 ·
I've driven a 4 banger and own a 4.2L I6 and theres no way I'd have a 4 banger. I'm not that worried about gas I guess I just like to have the power more than the economy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.