YJ Oil leak - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > YJ Oil leak

2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!The RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 04-16-2013, 06:51 PM   #1
ckahl2
1992 YJ Wrangler 

YJ Oil leak

Ok, so last night I was driving back home on the highway and noticed my oil pressure dropping fairly quickly. I pulled off the highway to a gas station and discovered a small pool of oil under the jeep. I was still about 80 miles from home so I bought some oil and put about half a quart in. I noticed that the oil pressure stayed roughly the same and didn't drop after that as long as I kept the engine reved at around 25-3000 and made it home with no problems, however there was a noticeable leak coming from the jeep. I parked it and checked this morning and it looks like the oil is coming from a few different places around the pan possibly. I'm pretty much a novice when working on engines, but it seems to me like the oil pan gasket s*** the bed or the pan itself rusted out. Any other thoughts on what the problem could be? And also what It might cost to have it fixed at a shop or the stealership? (Can't work on cars in the school parking lot unfortunately). The Jeep is a 1992 2.5 liter with 60,000 miles on it if that helps. Thanks!

ckahl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2013, 08:47 PM   #2
jokerchief462
Wild Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Find a good shop or someone you know who can do the work. Yes it could be a pan gasket but oil leaks are funny. Gravity drives the oil to the ground and the fan and wind in the engine bay drives the oil to the rear of the engine./ So it will have to be cleaned up too find the exact leak and may not be the pan. So find someone you trust and get a written estimate first.

AF Jeep Club Tail #184
jokerchief462 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2013, 08:57 PM   #3
bigbossd1030
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckahl2
Ok, so last night I was driving back home on the highway and noticed my oil pressure dropping fairly quickly. I pulled off the highway to a gas station and discovered a small pool of oil under the jeep. I was still about 80 miles from home so I bought some oil and put about half a quart in. I noticed that the oil pressure stayed roughly the same and didn't drop after that as long as I kept the engine reved at around 25-3000 and made it home with no problems, however there was a noticeable leak coming from the jeep. I parked it and checked this morning and it looks like the oil is coming from a few different places around the pan possibly. I'm pretty much a novice when working on engines, but it seems to me like the oil pan gasket s*** the bed or the pan itself rusted out. Any other thoughts on what the problem could be? And also what It might cost to have it fixed at a shop or the stealership? (Can't work on cars in the school parking lot unfortunately). The Jeep is a 1992 2.5 liter with 60,000 miles on it if that helps. Thanks!
Screw the shop, nobody you know has a garage? Depending on where it is coming from its probably a very simple job. Even if it is a more difficult one, the shop will charge you a crap ton to do the work. Not worth it. Buy a buddy some beer to help you and fix it yourself. Start by finding the leak. Keep an eye on the rear main seal, this one means you have to drop the tranny. Also check the valve cover and as you said oil pan. Shop is always a last resort in my books.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
[COLOR="Blue"]OFFICIAL JEEPER[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]Any Jeepers in Edmonton, AB
I am on channel 33.[/COLOR]
I live, I ride, I am JEEP.
bigbossd1030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2013, 09:33 PM   #4
rubinscube
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Easy fix.get a gallon of simple green.wait till engine is cool.spray down with cleaner.wait 1 hour.rinse & repeat.next run in place and you should see where the leak is.
Unread 04-17-2013, 06:04 AM   #5
UZI4U
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckahl2 View Post
(Can't work on cars in the school parking lot unfortunately).
SCREW the school! You pay them to accommodate you. Do what you need to do and tell them to get bent...I would.
Unread 04-17-2013, 06:27 AM   #6
pete1991YJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

If its leaking that fast then I doubt its just a pan gasket. Those tend to be a slow seep. Like others have said, clean the engine off so you can see where its coming from. Start it and let it run for a few minutes. Then look for it. Beware the fan could blow it around from where its actually leaking.

I would immediately suspect the oil pressure sender or the filter itself. The rear main seal doesn't have any pressure on it the way a chevy does, but it *could* leak at a good rate.
pete1991YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2013, 06:38 AM   #7
Kuntryboy816
1989 YJ Wrangler 

x2 on what BigBoss said...

You'd be surprised how simple it is to work on a Jeep. Try to at least locate the source of the leak first by cleaning the engine. Once that's done post back up for help. Valve cover gasket and oil pan gasket are both very easy fixes. The rear main seal is more involved but can be done with simple hand tools and time.

@Rubinscube: I want to steal your signature!
A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government. -George Washington
Kuntryboy816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2013, 04:04 PM   #8
ckahl2
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Alright, I took everyone's advice and cleaned up under the Jeep, put a bit more oil in, and turned it on to see where the leak was coming from. When the Jeep is running it leaks at about a drip per second from the left edge of the oil pan (left edge looking up at the pan from under the vehicle), which is also right below the oil filter, so at this point I'm starting to think its the filter. I can't see any drips coming directly off the filter, but it could be running down the block to the oil pan where it's dripping, right? If it's the filter, would it be as simple as replacing it? Could it be anything else? (I still think the gasket is a possibility, but I'm new to this, haha). Also, to everyone who suggested I do the work myself, I would love to be able to do that, but I have a very limited tool box at school, don't have a place to go off campus and work, and I don't know anyone in the area (I go to school in Raleigh, but I'm from the Boston area).
Unread 04-17-2013, 05:34 PM   #9
rubinscube
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I had a similar drip by the filter.turns out iy was the distributor seals.just in case check it out and good luck.
Unread 04-17-2013, 05:34 PM   #10
bigbossd1030
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckahl2
Alright, I took everyone's advice and cleaned up under the Jeep, put a bit more oil in, and turned it on to see where the leak was coming from. When the Jeep is running it leaks at about a drip per second from the left edge of the oil pan (left edge looking up at the pan from under the vehicle), which is also right below the oil filter, so at this point I'm starting to think its the filter. I can't see any drips coming directly off the filter, but it could be running down the block to the oil pan where it's dripping, right? If it's the filter, would it be as simple as replacing it? Could it be anything else? (I still think the gasket is a possibility, but I'm new to this, haha). Also, to everyone who suggested I do the work myself, I would love to be able to do that, but I have a very limited tool box at school, don't have a place to go off campus and work, and I don't know anyone in the area (I go to school in Raleigh, but I'm from the Boston area).
Check below your distributor as well. I remember reading a post about oil coming from the dizzy, but I didn't read into it. It as you know is above your oil filter. So it's at least in close proximity to the filter. Plus see if you give your oil filter a turn to see if it tightens a bit and stops leaking. Well at this point you will only need a small amount of tools to fix this leak anyhow. It's not the rear main or anything that requires jacks and pullers. You should be able to fix this leak with a basic socket set from Walmart.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
[COLOR="Blue"]OFFICIAL JEEPER[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]Any Jeepers in Edmonton, AB
I am on channel 33.[/COLOR]
I live, I ride, I am JEEP.
bigbossd1030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2013, 09:06 PM   #11
4.7stroker
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Just above the oil filter you will see the oil pressure sending unit, it has a single wire going to it. The oil sender can spring a leak and is a common failure mode. It is cheap and easy to replace. Just start the motor and look with a flashlight to see if it is leaking.

Dwayne
4.7stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2013, 12:03 PM   #12
ckahl2
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Alright, I talked to someone who looked at the jeep and theres good news and bad news. The good news, everyone here was right. The bad news, that means i have 4 leaks to fix. The valve cover, RMS, oil pan gasket, and the oil pressure sending unit are ALL leaking. Thanks for everyone's help in figuring out what it was!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.