YJ Not charging??? Fusible Link??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > YJ Not charging??? Fusible Link???

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsJK Front Lower Adjustable Control Arms!

Unread 09-23-2009, 07:21 AM   #1
SignGuy321
1987 YJ Wrangler 

YJ Not charging??? Fusible Link???

I changed my starter and when I replaced the wires on the solenoid and hooked up the battery I got a spark. I figured out that one of the wires I hooked to the solenoid was actually a ground. What baffles me about that is it looks like it is also a fusible link, but when I hooked it to the chassis no more spark. I am pretty sure one of the fusible links is bad. The alternator worked fine before the starter swap and suddenly doesn't. Is it possible to replace all the the fusible links with regular breakers (possible in a fuse block on the firewall)? What is the best way to check the fusible links?

Thanks

SignGuy321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2009, 07:43 AM   #2
idaholtby
Web Wheeler

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Best way to test the fusible link is with an ohm meter. With the battery disconnected, you should have continuity from the red wires on the alt to the positive battery cable (common point is at the starter relay). If not, then it is bad. There is another link from the ignition switch (red), that should also ohm out the same way. The links are color coded for their size. Sounds like the brown one is bad from the alt preventing any charge from getting to the battery.
idaholtby is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2009, 10:05 AM   #3
SignGuy321
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Can I just replace them with regular fuses?
Unread 09-23-2009, 10:11 AM   #4
idaholtby
Web Wheeler

1991 YJ Wrangler 

With some extra wiring and fuse holders you could, but I don't know that it would be worth the effort. If you were blowing them on a regular basis, then I would say go for it. If this is the first time, then I wouldn't bother. They are relatively cheap and not hard to replace.
Unread 09-23-2009, 10:17 AM   #5
SignGuy321
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I know this is a newbie question, but I am a newbie. How exactly do I replace them? I really can't see in there very well.
Unread 09-23-2009, 10:29 AM   #6
idaholtby
Web Wheeler

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignGuy321 View Post
I know this is a newbie question, but I am a newbie. How exactly do I replace them? I really can't see in there very well.
Here is a link to a site that shows how to replace the link and even covers how to upgrade to the Maxi fuses if you so decide... Electrical Issues - MiniMopar Resources
Unread 09-24-2009, 11:28 AM   #7
SignGuy321
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks alot I will check that out.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.