yj non starting issue - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > yj non starting issue

Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Aluminum BumpersThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 08-01-2013, 05:48 PM   #1
LordBear

yj non starting issue

i am working on my moms 90 wrangler with the 2.5. she has been having some starting issues and would die ocationally. now it is to the point it wont start at all. the starter will turn over and once or twice it kicks but nothing.. had her turn it over and im not seeing spark.. holding plug wire from plug but dont see anything did the same thing with the coil wire..no spark..unless i am doing something wrong... just did a complete tune up on it..cap wires plugs then coil and today the crankshaft position sensor... hoping that was it since it had bare wire out of the plug on the top. put starting fluid in it still nothing... any ideas?

LordBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2013, 06:00 PM   #2
rambo3489
Web Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Just to clarify you took the plug out grounded the threads on the engine cranked it and don't see a spark?

It also may be faint if there's a lot of light.

Current Project: None... I disgust myself.

BUILDING THE YJ MY WAY
rambo3489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2013, 06:01 PM   #3
rambo3489
Web Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

The coil should be seeing 12V on the connector with the ignition power "on". Is that the case?

BUILDING THE YJ MY WAY
Unread 08-01-2013, 06:13 PM   #4
LordBear

since i dont know how to check that on the coil..i dont know..and have to wait tell i have some one else here to recheck the spark
Unread 08-01-2013, 06:17 PM   #5
rambo3489
Web Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Its the clip with two wires (red and green?) that plugs onto the coil. You pulled it off to replace it.

Yea all you need to do on the plugs is take one out. Put the plug wire back on it. Touch the threads or the prong on the end to metal on the engine somewhere. Crank it over and check for spark. You can do it

BUILDING THE YJ MY WAY
Unread 08-01-2013, 06:20 PM   #6
LordBear

the coil doesnt connect to any wires...it slides in to a couple of prongs...so im guessing i can put my readers prongs on those
Unread 08-01-2013, 06:28 PM   #7
LordBear

ok...after pulling the coil back off to get to the prongs... i set my reader to 12v and it read 68.1... and it said mv above the number if that means anything
Unread 08-01-2013, 06:52 PM   #8
rambo3489
Web Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBear View Post
ok...after pulling the coil back off to get to the prongs... i set my reader to 12v and it read 68.1... and it said mv above the number if that means anything
It means milivolts (1/1000 of a volt)

Or if you prefer your not getting 12Volts to the coil. And there is your problem.

To clarify you checked the voltage with the meter on 12VDC and with the ignition switch in the "ON" position? Right before the "start"

Also check with your meter on the next larger scale. Whatever that my be, 20, 50, 100 VDC. Make sure it is DC. (straight lines for a symbol, not wavy)

BUILDING THE YJ MY WAY
Unread 08-01-2013, 07:28 PM   #9
LordBear

ok.... checked again..does have spark..and it decided to start... and run..but thats the way it was before...some times it wouldnt and would take a few tries to get it running... so i dont think the problem is fixed..
Unread 08-01-2013, 07:41 PM   #10
LordBear

well when i pulled the coil..i dont know exactly where i needed to put the needles... i just tried the clips where the posts on the coil slide in to... lol..i have no idea on the reader..i had it set at 12v.. it goes 1v 6v 9v and 12v. on a innova 3320 reader.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Equus-3320...meter/14644666
Unread 08-02-2013, 10:19 AM   #11
rambo3489
Web Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBear View Post
well when i pulled the coil..i dont know exactly where i needed to put the needles... i just tried the clips where the posts on the coil slide in to... lol..i have no idea on the reader..i had it set at 12v.. it goes 1v 6v 9v and 12v. on a innova 3320 reader.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Equus-3320...meter/14644666
OK I gotcha now. No you need to set it to the red "DCV" setting. (From "OFF" to the right one cllick)The 12V you have it set to is for checking a 12V battery.

Also you need to connect it to the clip like you were doing. That is where the power is being supplied from.

You should see somewhere around 13V on you meter.

Good to hear it's going. But without the problem found it may leave you stranded.

BUILDING THE YJ MY WAY
Unread 08-02-2013, 10:21 AM   #12
rambo3489
Web Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Just for future reference and your safety. Don't set it to mA or A and try to measure the current/amperage. You will kill you meter and make a large spark if used incorrectly.

Research how to do this before doing it.

BUILDING THE YJ MY WAY

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.