YJ no spark/starting issues - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > YJ no spark/starting issues

ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Spartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREERough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 05-03-2011, 02:17 PM   #1
Schonertod
1995 YJ Wrangler 

YJ no spark/starting issues **Problem Fixed Read if your still having this problem**

I know this has probably been beaten to death and i can find it in the search but I figure i will at least post up whats wrong and what i have tried while i search because i need my jeep up asap. Its my DD and i have like 4 wheelin trips coming up soon that as of right now are canceled because of my jeep being down

So my jeep was running perfect took it to my buddys shop to get some welding down. we stripped off the front fenders and moved every thing to install custom hoops to allow room for installing some Bilstein 14in shocks. Work went great we made sure not to hit any wires or brake lines. Got every thing back to gether and when i went to start her up she cranked but wouldnt fire. We checked the fuel and its got great fuel pressure. We checked the spark plugs they look fine but were not getting any spark. Check the cap and it looked like it could use a change so i replaced the cap rotor and wires still nothing. Checked the coil- no spark there. Pulled off the connector and testing the Voltage with the key and im getting 12.41 volts to the coil. So i replaced it still didnt fix the problem. I have had new coils not work so i tried two others and still no go. Online research showed that the CPS can cause a no spark so i replaced that still no spark. Checked all my fuses (3 or 4th time might i add). Checked all the wire to see if maybe we hit or melted a wire and found nothing. I checked the computer by doing the key on engine off and got codes 12 33 55. 12 is for power lose well thats because i pulled the battery when doing the welding. 33 is for the ac which i dont have and 55 is the end code. I am at a lose with my jeep i have taken great care of her and do every thing i can to make sure she has every she needs. Engine light does come on when i turn on the key and will turn off after a few secs.

I will continue my searching but if any one has any helpful info i can really use it. thank you

Last edited by Schonertod; 05-04-2011 at 12:39 PM..
Schonertod is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2011, 10:09 PM   #2
Schonertod
1995 YJ Wrangler 

So replaced the ignition module and still not getting any spark. I just cant seem to figure this problem out.
Unread 05-04-2011, 12:38 PM   #3
Schonertod
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Well the problem is fixed. Thanks to the local guys down at the goldenstate towing and motorsports. They ripped apart the whole fuse box to find that the connections inside under the fuse ports were corroded they cleaned it all up and now my jeep is running like a champ. I guess i just didnt think that deep into it.

For those who dont know why this would cause the problem. Corrosion acts like a resister and it will draw down the current and current is were the true power lies. You can have all the voltage you want but if you dont have the current then you dont have the power. good luck to any one else still having this problem.
Unread 05-04-2011, 01:17 PM   #4
Djsthe1
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Sounds like the problem I am having right now.. I just came back from a wheeling trip and had to swap in a new clutch, after that, nothing... It will turn over with no problems, coil reads fine but just wont start. So the connections inside the box were corroded? On which connections?
Djsthe1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-04-2011, 01:52 PM   #5
Schonertod
1995 YJ Wrangler 

they pulled the whole main fuse box out and took the back cover off. I havnt seen which ones it was but im assuming if there was corrosion on one i would think they all at least had a little. Even a little bit of corrosion on a wire can act as a current drop. I would pull the box out and remove the back cover and make sure the connections are clean and put some dielectric grease grease on them. the other way you can test is put a tester light on your coil input and see if the light works the light will not turn on if its not getting current or it will appear dim if its getting a low current. GL man i know it can be frustrating as all hell.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.