YJ Newb needs some help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > YJ Newb needs some help

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 04-29-2011, 03:22 PM   #1
Sybenn
1990 YJ Wrangler 

YJ Newb needs some help

Hey guys, I just moved to Colorado Springs from the UK and the first thing I did was get myself a Jeep, we dont really have them in the UK.

So I got a 1990 YJ, 2 inch lift sitting on 31's and I am having issues with the idle. When I am coming to a stop the idle drops down to about 500 rpm and stalls. Yet when it is sitting and I adjust teh idle speed it can go upto 1000 rpm. The Rpm speed is constantly flickering from 600 to 1500 RPM.

Looks liek all the emissions stuff has been bypassed or dismantled, but it has a tiny little air filter on the carb ratehr than the big black housing that it should have.

I also noted that the accelerator levers at the side of the carb (where the adjustment screws are) the outer lever seems to have a significant amount of play before it moves the other lever, should there be any kind of play at all?

As you can tell, I am new to this, also I am British, sorry, so need some advice with this great vehicle!!

Sy

Sybenn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-29-2011, 07:27 PM   #2
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sybenn View Post
Hey guys, I just moved to Colorado Springs from the UK and the first thing I did was get myself a Jeep, we dont really have them in the UK.

So I got a 1990 YJ, 2 inch lift sitting on 31's and I am having issues with the idle. When I am coming to a stop the idle drops down to about 500 rpm and stalls. Yet when it is sitting and I adjust teh idle speed it can go upto 1000 rpm. The Rpm speed is constantly flickering from 600 to 1500 RPM.

Looks liek all the emissions stuff has been bypassed or dismantled, but it has a tiny little air filter on the carb ratehr than the big black housing that it should have.

I also noted that the accelerator levers at the side of the carb (where the adjustment screws are) the outer lever seems to have a significant amount of play before it moves the other lever, should there be any kind of play at all?

As you can tell, I am new to this, also I am British, sorry, so need some advice with this great vehicle!!

Sy
My memorry is a bit foggy but idle isssues can be caused by a bad/leaky accelerator pump. Make sure the carb is not loose on the intake. What make/model carb on this engine?

Getting older, I have developed some special skills. I have the ability to cough, sneeze, fart and pee at the same time.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
David C. Wilker Jr. USAF (RET)
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-29-2011, 08:56 PM   #3
nembudonna
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I had a problem with mine dieing out evey time I stopped and the Idle would fluctuate and It turned out to be the booster on the power brakes was leaking. Don't know if that's your problem just telling you. Also it would be helpful if you filled out your profile. Lots of luck
nembudonna is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-29-2011, 09:06 PM   #4
4.7stroker
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Don't worry I am bi lingual, I speak English and American. Grew up in Berkshire and joined the US Air Force.
Post up some pics so we can see what you have on her. This will help in the diagnosis of the issues.

Dwayne
4.7stroker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-30-2011, 12:12 AM   #5
Sybenn
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Lol at Dwayne. You speak yankanese and English that's awesome. I'm a Yorkshire lad myself. Thanks to everyone who replied. I will get some pics uploaded on Sunday so you can see what I got. Anything in particular I should upload? If not I'll post pics of the carb and accelerator works. I think it's a stock carb. Willis??!? BBD.
Unread 04-30-2011, 07:53 AM   #6
4.7stroker
1988 YJ Wrangler 

If it is a stock carb then idle issues are a common problem there is a fix for that.
http://www.jeeptech.com/engine/carter.html
I would also throw a rebuild kit on it, they are cheap and the 20 yo carb will probably thank you for it.
There are 4 major things you can do to make it run so much better.
Nutter,
Team Rush,
Throw that carter away and install a Motorcraft carb.
Remove all of the crap that is no longer needed after those mods.
All are covered on the web and in this forum.

Dwayne
4.7stroker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-04-2011, 10:08 AM   #7
Sybenn
1990 YJ Wrangler 

hey guys i got those pics to show you of the throttle

but how do you post pics on here?
Unread 05-04-2011, 10:11 AM   #8
giggityjeeper
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.7stroker View Post
If it is a stock carb then idle issues are a common problem there is a fix for that.
http://www.jeeptech.com/engine/carter.html
I would also throw a rebuild kit on it, they are cheap and the 20 yo carb will probably thank you for it.
There are 4 major things you can do to make it run so much better.
Nutter,
Team Rush,
Throw that carter away and install a Motorcraft carb.
Remove all of the crap that is no longer needed after those mods.
All are covered on the web and in this forum.

Dwayne
not stock byt the sounds of it.. the little air filter would sugest a Weber.... sounds liek a bad choke or a vac leak somewhere....

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...-jeep-1050879/

family roll bar swap/upgrade..

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/f...grade-1054753/

1990 YJ. SOA, OME 36R 3.5" lift springs, OME 5/8 greasable shackles, OTT high steer, Custom cage, team Rush, Posi, 33 TSL swampers
giggityjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-04-2011, 10:26 AM   #9
Sybenn
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I think it is stock its the 2BBL type here is a link to the pics of it all

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/sred...3AE&feat=email

where my finger is you can see on the accelerator part that has a lot of play, the second pic with my finger is the underneath of teh accelerator rod/cable and it looks to me as if springs should be there.

there is also a round thing under where the windscreen wash bottles are, what is that? It looks lik eit has a breather pipe coming out of it and looks like heat has melted the connection to whatever that is on my wheel arch lol

Sorry Noob speak!! But just found that this morning
Unread 05-04-2011, 05:50 PM   #10
raynmaker
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Welcome to the springs. Hit me up if you want some help. I have messed with all that stuff on mine. I'm hopefully doing the sye this weekend, you could swing by, have a beer and we can look at yours.
Unread 05-05-2011, 11:20 AM   #11
Sybenn
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah definately will hit you up pm me your number. May not be able to make it this weekend as working Saturday and I HAVE to replace my u joints on the axles. They are wobbling like crazy. Noticed a shift motor on the right axle. Guess I can just use silicone/corking to Renew the seal when I pull the axle out? In fact I have a joint press will even need to pull the axle out?

Get in touch though as a beer sounds good

Tags
accelerator , carb , mixture , timing , YJ

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.