YJ Model Year Differences - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > YJ Model Year Differences

Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 08-27-2004, 09:50 PM   #1
Niles

YJ Model Year Differences

I am new to the forum and like many others came here to learn so I can buy with some slight degree of knowledge. There truely is a wealth of information here. I have a question, and have researched the archives (and some other sites) and haven't seen it posted or answered. Other than the three generations, there has not been many major changes on the basics. I have read the arguments for and against the I4. As I have a limited amount to spend, it seems as if the I6 I'd like is out of my price range, and the I4, while close to the price range, is not suitable. The question: Since the basics are pretty much the same, is there a downside to buying a few years older YJ with the engine I want, as opposed to a few years newer model with the smaller engine. Obviously, the mileage and condition figure into the equation, but is for example, a 93 model less desireable than a 95, if the mileage and condition are similiar? Aren't the engine, drivetrain and body style virtually identical? Are the differences significant? (Afterthought: Was there a 96 year model jeep?) Any help on model differences question would be appreciated.

Niles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-27-2004, 10:57 PM   #2
sentinal02
H2 Recovery Team Member

1992 YJ Wrangler 

check out my post in this thread:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/found-yj-need-opinions-100902/

as for major differences in Yj models, it's really just the engine. since you mentioned the 4 cyl, the main difference is TBI vs MPI. the 91+ MPIed models put out a few more horses than the early models so if you're planning on getting one of them, try for a 91+ model. they're both under powered in my mind, but they do work and you're right, they are generally cheaper. keep an eye out though, the cheap 6's are out there if you can hold out long enough. it's all about your location really. some places just have cheaper jeeps than others.

92 YJ 4.0L Ax-15 231
5" springs, 1" shackle 31's or 35's depending on my mood
sentinal02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2004, 05:29 AM   #3
OlllllllO Jeep1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niles
I am new to the forum and like many others came here to learn so I can buy with some slight degree of knowledge. There truely is a wealth of information here. I have a question, and have researched the archives (and some other sites) and haven't seen it posted or answered. Other than the three generations, there has not been many major changes on the basics. I have read the arguments for and against the I4. As I have a limited amount to spend, it seems as if the I6 I'd like is out of my price range, and the I4, while close to the price range, is not suitable. The question: Since the basics are pretty much the same, is there a downside to buying a few years older YJ with the engine I want, as opposed to a few years newer model with the smaller engine. Obviously, the mileage and condition figure into the equation, but is for example, a 93 model less desireable than a 95, if the mileage and condition are similiar? Aren't the engine, drivetrain and body style virtually identical? Are the differences significant? (Afterthought: Was there a 96 year model jeep?) Any help on model differences question would be appreciated.
I guess it really does depend on what you are going to use it for, like stated in the previois post. I found a good deal on a 91 4.0L High Output about 3 years ago. I paid less than what the bluebook is today, and probably less than a 4cyl with the same mileage would be. Most dealers know that the 6 brings $$$. So I would look at private sellers first. THe 91 also is Multi Port fuel injection. Just remember that a used jeep may need things like U-joints axle joints and such depending on how it was used. Stay away from the puegot transmission. The 91 and up has a little better drivetrain. Ax-15 tranny there is a seam in the tranny case so it is actually 2 pieces. I forgot how to tell the Puegot tranny, although that is on the jeeps older than 91. I believe only exported Jeeps had dana 44 axles in the rear. So you will end up with a Dana 35 rear and a Dana 30 front. Watch out for oil leaks. Tranny, Tranfer case. Escpecially look for an rear main seal leaks. Mine has a leaky rear seal since the day I got it, just a small leak. A bit annoying though. I am finally going to get around to changing it. I think. Overall it is a really good vehicle. Gas mileage isnt great. around 15 mpg, but I heard that the 4 has about the same mileage. I would have a mechanic check over any vehicle from a privae seller. It would be worth the money.

Also check out places like Jpmagazine.com and cartalk.com for models fuel mileage etc. Good luck and Happy Jeeping! OlllllllO.

Oh yeah there isnt a 96 Jeep. Ans yes there are some drivetrain differences such as transmissions, The older motors are carbureted. I have an article somewhere that gives all the differences of the differnt years from JP magazine if I can find it maybe I can scan it and e-mail it to you later today. If you never had a Jeep before get used to waving to every Wrangler you see.
OlllllllO Jeep1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2004, 08:58 AM   #4
Bobbywolf

1987-1990
6cyl = 4.2L carburated
4cyl = 2.5L carburated

1991-1995
6cyl = 4.0L High Output, fuel injected
4cyl = 2.5L fuel injected

I'm (un)lucky enough to own one of the last 4.2's. I have a 1990, and if I didn't get such a good deal on it, I would have went for a 91 or better.
Bobbywolf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2004, 09:08 AM   #5
xxxflhrci

The Peugot tranny was only used in '87,'88, and early '89 models. Some '89s got the AX-15.
xxxflhrci is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2004, 09:10 AM   #6
xxxflhrci

I thought all 4 bangers got FI of some sort and never had a carb on them. Anyone?
xxxflhrci is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2004, 09:17 AM   #7
RCHavok797
2005 LJ Wrangler 

The 4 cylinder never had a carb, it had throttle body injection (TBI) before 91.
RCHavok797 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2004, 09:44 AM   #8
Bobbywolf

my bad. Sorry for the bad info!
Bobbywolf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2004, 09:54 AM   #9
JeremYJ

I have an 89 with the 4.2 an got it cheaper than most 95's with the 4 so its really just up to you
JeremYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2004, 09:58 AM   #10
MuddyV8YJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I have to put a positive note in for the 4 bangers. Don't rule them out completely. If you have a 2 hr highway commute everyday than i would probably go with a 6, but the 4 is just fine if you don't plan on running 35" tires without regearing. My I4 can toste a bunch of I6s on the trail since it has lower R&P gears (4.10 vs 3.07 or 3.73). Tell us what you plan to do with the Jeep and maybe we can give you some more options.
Unread 08-28-2004, 07:19 PM   #11
Niles

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuddyV8YJ
I have to put a positive note in for the 4 bangers. Don't rule them out completely. If you have a 2 hr highway commute everyday than i would probably go with a 6, but the 4 is just fine if you don't plan on running 35" tires without regearing. My I4 can toste a bunch of I6s on the trail since it has lower R&P gears (4.10 vs 3.07 or 3.73). Tell us what you plan to do with the Jeep and maybe we can give you some more options.

I am newly retired, so there is no "daily driver" commuter aspect. I have always wanted a Jeep Wrangler. I will do a lot of Freeway driving and some very rural roads. I live in Front Royal, VA, close to mile 1 of Skyline Drive, a scenic but fairly steep road through a National Park. Nothing is close, so its Freeway to everywhere, but local mountain roads are poor. My driveway is 3 miles very steep, ( my V-8 Dodge 4x4 pickup with automatic goes into 1st gear to get up it). I plan on going off road to hunt and fish, and just off road fun driving. Thanks again for all the advice, I'll try to be patient and wise in finding just the right one. If anything comes to mind, give me a shot, I'm Jeep obsessed at this point.
Niles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-29-2004, 08:56 PM   #12
Tshark299
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niles
I am newly retired, so there is no "daily driver" commuter aspect. I have always wanted a Jeep Wrangler. I will do a lot of Freeway driving and some very rural roads. I live in Front Royal, VA, close to mile 1 of Skyline Drive, a scenic but fairly steep road through a National Park. Nothing is close, so its Freeway to everywhere, but local mountain roads are poor. My driveway is 3 miles very steep, ( my V-8 Dodge 4x4 pickup with automatic goes into 1st gear to get up it). I plan on going off road to hunt and fish, and just off road fun driving. Thanks again for all the advice, I'll try to be patient and wise in finding just the right one. If anything comes to mind, give me a shot, I'm Jeep obsessed at this point.
In this case, I would say 6cyl all the way! '91+ 6cyl that is.

'95 XJ - Donated drive train to the YJ, Parted out the rest

'51 CJ-3A - Buick 225 V6: Painless Wiring Harness, Warn Overdrive & Hubs, 2" Lift, 31" Muds
Tshark299 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-29-2004, 09:45 PM   #13
sentinal02
H2 Recovery Team Member

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tshark299
In this case, I would say 6cyl all the way! '91+ 6cyl that is.
agreed. hills, freeway and 4 cylinder don't go well together.

92 YJ 4.0L Ax-15 231
5" springs, 1" shackle 31's or 35's depending on my mood
sentinal02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.