YJ model differences - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > YJ model differences

Save big with ExtremeTerrain.com's Top Spring Mods Sale!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJeep Restorations, Mild to Wild! CCOR

Unread 07-14-2002, 04:56 PM   #1
ryan_eyres

YJ model differences

Hi all,
I'm a newbie here, and don't even have a jeep yet. I'm selling my beloved Alfa Romeo http://photos.yahoo.com/ryan_eyres and I'm planning on buying a YJ. I've decided I'd like to get the 4.0 and both hard and softtops. What I would like to know, is what are the model differences and options that are available. I also noticed that there are two types of rollcages on the YJs. I like the one that is bigger, and covers the rear seat area... What year did these start? I just want to get the perfect YJ, and don't want to buy one only to find out that it doesn't have some option that I want. Do I sound crazy yet?
Thanks in advance,
-Ryan Eyres
1992 Alfa Romeo 164S

ryan_eyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2002, 06:02 PM   #2
AllanAlxndr

1st, After you get a Wrangler(Jeep), you will learn that it never ends and that it will never be perfect.

The rollcage that you like came on the 92-95 wranglers... You have made an excellent choice with wanting to go with the 4.0L. Get the Hard top. A soft top is cheap enough($300-400) to buy later, as where the hard top will be $1000.
A lot of people will say that the 94-95 are the best years. Not sure of all of the different features, but I am sure someone else will help you out there as to why they are the best.
HTH (Hope that Helps)
If you need anything else, Just give us a post.
Allan

*'90 Wrangler*
*4 Banger*
*6" of lift, (4" suspension, 2" body)*
*33" ATs on Outlaw II's*
*Pioneer DEH3500/CD deck*
*1800WATT Amp w/ Custom Box*
*2 - 8" Rockford Fosgate HEs*
*Cobra 18WXSTII w/ 4' Firestik Antenna*

Member of Arizona Virtual Jeep Club
AllanAlxndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2002, 07:02 PM   #3
puckeater1

I would have to say just from what i have seen, if you want a jeep with mostly stock stuff to keep you happy, get a newer one, the insides (and this is just my opinion) look to be a lot more difficult to monkey around with. I have a 90 and hell i have no qualms about drilling here, putting stuff there... and not worrying about the appearance, i guess the more holes the nicer it looks where as i think the newer ones have the tendancy to look like "car" interiors, hell even some of those i wouldnt even want to take the top off if i were to own one just due to the fact that just would get all over the nice interior!!! so you have to see what you want to do with it, if you want to monkey i would say maybe 92 and below. If you like as is go above.

Disclaimer* im sure many have modified thier newer models, its just my hummble opinion stated above.
Unread 07-14-2002, 07:56 PM   #4
cjdriver

Dude, I love Jeeps, but to get rid of the Alfa for a YJ I think you are nuts. That Alfa is bad and you should figure out a way to keep it and just buy a cheaper Jeep to have some fun with.
Unread 07-14-2002, 08:07 PM   #5
OldJeepguy
1979 CJ7 

If I was in the market for a YJ I'd get a 1995 Sahara package - the front D/30 joints are the same size as the D/44 uses and the electrical system is much better (90 amp alternator).
Unread 07-14-2002, 09:01 PM   #6
osburn
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Don't forget in 94 they went to the external clutch slave cylinder also. The internal is a huge PITA!
osburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2002, 10:39 PM   #7
KYgreenYJ
2012 JK Wrangler 

definately get the 4.0! the FI is alot easier to deal with (tho not as easy to mess with) than the 258 on the 91(i think) and older models. so look for maybe a 92 and on. I dunno what puckeater is talkin about but the dash's on even the 95 yj is still the same as the 88. hmmm try not to get one with the side steps i want to torch mine and get some nice rocker panel protection that doesn't bend. I agree with allanalxndr get a hard top and then you can choose ur soft top ur self or just get a bikini topcause who cares if it gets alittle wet. But do look for a sahara if you can spend it cause thay have everything on them and aparently beter electrics and parts. HTH

Old Jeep, SOLD:
94 Green YJ SE 4.0L 5spd
3.5" BDS lift, 1"MML/BL, Revolvers, SYE/CV, no track bars or sway bars, MORE sport cage
Green Jeep Club Member #20
KYgreenYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2002, 10:49 PM   #8
UglySkunk

91 was the start of fuel injection and 92 was when the rollbar changed and all YJ's have the same interior from 87-95 the only differences are fabrics and colors

my jeep can fly can yours

[B]if you don't know about cages or spiked tang sit down and shutup[/B]
UglySkunk is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.